Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Tape Method of Peeling - Cheap and Effective for RED MARKS!!

This is very interesting. I used to use this when I was in the Army to get the dead skin left after applying camo. It's a known fact that shaving, ove the course of all the years men do it, is a weapon against wrinking in that area of the face because each time the sharp blade is removing dead skin and prompting new cells to form. I suppose I may as well give this a shot in conjunction with the vita-K.

I feel like a veritable poor man's dermatologist!

Vita-K- 11.00

Scotch tape- .99 for a 3 pack

Eliminating red marks- priceless

if the tape did not pull off that much skin that's not a problem...in fact, in my opinion, it's probably a good thing because that more than likely means that washing your face *and whatever else you've been doing* has been a great exfoliation process for you...but the tape did remove something so it's not as if it did nothing what so ever...just means that your face isn't as mucked up as some of our faces have been...

Ahhh I c..........well I have just recently this past year switched to Avon's clearskin Overnight treatment........with 1.5% Saclynic Acid.........its like 6 bucks......and theres specials like 2- 4 oz bottle for $6..........So contact your avon lady right away! Im lucky enough to have me mom being an avon lady.......cheers

Hi

Maya

I have some small pock holes on my face like from chicken pocks

Do you think the tape method would help even out the skin around these

Thanks

Dash

dash im no expert on acne or this scotch tape method, but i doubt the tape method would help scars from chicken pox becausei dont think chicken pox are from clogged pores. when you use the tape method, you are pulling out the dead skin cells that are clogging the pores, and the scar is there because of clogged pores.

but im not totally sure on that one

dashboy

No, I don't think it will help with scarring that is not superficial. Taping will help heal red marks quicker.

I too have the chicken pock type scars - I suggest you take a look at the threads on slkin needling or peels.

I use the Proactiv regimen and have had good results after 2 months. Only one active eruption (think this was due to time o' month) which is healing nicely. Like many others, I have the persistent red marks from old acne. It also doesn't help that I have fair skin.

Came across this thread a week ago and I thought I'd give it a try. Here's what I've done so far using 3M brand clear shipping tape (about 3 inches wide):

Day 1: Taped in the evening after cleansing. Could not believe how much dead skin came off! The red marks and skin "pinked up" from the stimulation. I applied the ProActiv toner about 10 minutes afterward, then the BP solution.

Day 2: Woke up early and taped after cleansing. Again, so much dead skin came off...especially around the red marks. Did the toner/BP and waited about 30 minutes before applying makeup. WOW! What a difference from only doing this 2x....no weird flaky spots, just nice coverage from concealer.

Day 2 (evening): Decided to tape before bed. I think this was over-zealous on my part...left me a little too red. My suggestion is to tape 1x a day in the beginning and see how skin reacts.

Day 3: Skipped taping to allow skin to recover

Day 4: Decided to wait until evening to tape. Still getting little flakes on tape. Red marks appear smoother to me

Day 5: Woke up early and did the tape/tone/BP/wait 30 and then applied makeup. At breakfast Hubby said "Wow....you skin is looking so smooth. That Proactiv stuff must be working"

Day 6: Taped in the morning and at night. This time no extra redness and the second taping yielded less dead skin

Day 7 (TODAY): Taped in the morning and really examined my skin in the light afterward. It's amazing...I should have done a b4 and after pic. I truly believe the red marks are fading, they don't have that "angry" appearance anymore.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about trying the "tape method". This is really working for me and even if it takes another few months to completely heal the red marks, at least the "flakies" are gone and I can be confident my makeup doesn't look funky! And the makeup is actually covering better!!!

Take care,

Willow

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about the tape method. I have been doing it for a few days & my skin doesn't seem to be flaking anymore which is great. I haven't seen any results on the red marks yet, but I wasn't expecting that so quickly anyway.

Here are my questions:

1) does the direction you pull the tape off make a difference? I find that up-down seems to work better than across, but that could be my imagination. What do you guys do?

2) I was thinking of starting to use AHAs soon. Can I use both methods at once, or is that over-exfoliation? I've been taping twice a day which my skin deals with very well, maybe because I waited a few weeks after starting BP to try this method. No redness or tenderness, and it doesn't irritate active acne either (which I still have a bit of after 5 weeks on the regimen, grrr).

Thanks,

Vanessa

Willow - great result!

Vanessa - If your skin's not sensitive, yes, you can do tape and AHAs ( I have done tape and peels at the same time) - no problem. And just tape in the direction that suits you best, there is no hard and fast rule.

:cry: Does this tape method increase the size of your pore..so it looks like you have larger circle things on your face? I was doing this tape method and my friend asked me what i was doing and i said that i was pulling the dead skin off of my face. he replied saying, "don't do that, itll stretch out your pores and make then huge and visible..." is this true???

A couple of questions. Does "taping" work as good with brown marks as redmarks? And how long does one roll of tape usually last when you tape once per day?

yes, it works just as well on the brown marks as it does the red ones...also i use clear packaging tape and one roll lasts quite a while...i can't tell you how long specifically because i've never paid attention, but i know i'm not going to store all the time so it can't be that often...

Okay I startet taping today. If this works it's one of the weirdest and cheapest treatments for red/brown marks I've ever heard of :cry: One more question. I have the gentle cream exfoliant from Dermalogica. It contains Alpha Hydroxy Acid (unknown strength) and you're supposed to use it once or twice per week. Do you think I can use it while taping?

ChDAT,

If you go up about six posts you'll see that I asked the same question about AHAs & taping. Maya answered that it should be OK if your skin isn't too sensitive & I just started but I've had no problems so far. You should really find out the % of AHA though - I'm using Alpha Hydrox oil-free which is 10%. I use it every night. Make sure you use sunblock during the day, even if it isn't sunny, as the AHA makes your skin more sensitive to sun.

Sorry, I did read most of the the posts yesterday so I should defintly have noticed the part about AHA :oops: . I already use a sunblock crem so hopefully sun sensetivity won't be a problem. But thanks for telling me.

I am also going to start this treatment tonight for my red marks. The red marks are damn annoying, hope this works :evil:

the tape method is ok for red marks. It's certainly not going to help overnight and it takes awhile to notoice a difference. The biggest benefit of the method isn't with the red spots it's more ith the skin in general, it helps your skin become very smooth and healthy looking.

i certainly agree that the tape method is very good at improving the skin tone. I used this 3 months ago for 2 weeks, but then somehow didnt manage to continue it. But even then i noticed an improvement. I started doing this again 10 days ago, and have again noticed a marked improvement in the skin tone.

I wanna know though, if anyone has experianced any more improvement if this is continued for a longer time ..... I have red marks still ... can i hope they will get lighter ? I used BP for 3 months and the Retin A for another 3 .. and I did stop breakingout. I breakout once in two weeks now, or maybe once in 10 days. I just have red marks, and am hoping that the tape method will help me quicken the process of fading the red marks.

Maya, i know u have been using this method for á long time now ... almost like a God mother to all of us now :) .... what has been ur experiance in using this over a long term ? is it effective over a continuous period of time ? do you see a steady improvement ? and what happens when u stop using it ?

I am not using anythign except the tape right now ... do you recommend anything ?

Crushhh - I'm not doing the tape method right now because I am having skin needling - but there are people on other boards who have done this daily for years. Basically, it's a very cheap exfoliation method and everyone needs constant exfoliation! Definately helps with red marks and is very useful for people who cannot afford to get regular peels done on their face.

All forms of exfoliation can stimulate collagen growth on your skin - if you have some money, it may be worth getting some copper peptides from skinbiology www.skinbio.com or www.homepeels.com to apply every night - that further enhances exfolaition and skin tone.

Also, applying a jnice moisteriser at night will help - if you still have minor breakouts you might like to try 100% Jojoba oil (should be able to get it from pharmacists/health stores) and apply lightly to your face at night - wake up with beautifully soft skin!! And... don't forget to wear a good sunscreen.

Hehehe - I like being thought of as a God Mother - cute. Thanks :)

if anyone still read this thread or topic..can someone please tell me if this tape method makes the size of your pores larger? a friend once told me it would and i dont know...ive been doing it occasionally since he did and posted a while back and waited for the reply but no one has told me anything yet :)

It hasn't so far for me, Somuch, and I've been using it for about three weeks now. Great improvements in skin tone, though. :) Although this is only my experience, I've never heard of anyone complaining about big pores from the tape method.

Rive

Hi Maya, thanks for the taping idea. I have a couple of questions for you. Firstly, I am African American with dark skin. I am currently using Dan's regimen for acne. This seems to be working well so far, but I have a large number or dark spots from previous breakouts. I read in some posts that Vit K is good to help fade the spots, what do you think about that? Also, did you say it was okay to use jojoba oil OR extra virgin olive oil? I also wanted to try the face peel, which do you recommend? And lastly, I have very dry eyelids and also undereye area, I cannot tape this area so what do you suggest I do for it? They dry dead skin is making the area dark and giving me a raccoon look.

Sorry to be so lenghty, but I long to leave home without makeup, and will appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks a bunch.

Lisa