Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Tape Method of Peeling - Cheap and Effective for RED MARKS!!

Please be very careful with yourself if you plan on trying this method. I tried it last night and I have never done so much damage to myself as I did with this method. Even mistaken using topical acne gels with a 30% glycolic peel did not do as much harm as this method. I tried it on my forehead and it was fine but when I tried it on my chin, it felt like the raped a piece of skin off because my chin was red and raw. It burnt like *hell* :roll: Even the 100% aloe vera gel that I swear by did not help relieve the burning sensation. My chin is still red this morning. I have veins exposed on my cheek. AFterward, my cheek looked like a pieces of fresh had raped off because I could see little craters. I was so afraid of scaring but after applying the aloe vera and the Cetaphill, I saw red veins. I hope that it will heal properly.

Lexie, I'm sorry to hear what happened. I wonder if you have particularly sensitive/thin skin on your chin. Anyway, fingers crossed, I hope it heals up real soon for you.

Hey guys, I am new to this board, but know Maya from another board. I am the person who started the "scotch tape" thread on the other board, but I am glad to see Maya bought it over here to share w/ you all. She asked me if I could read through the thread and possibly give some more input on this subject. I am really happy to see that so many of you like it and are seeing good results. I stared doing this several years ago (probably back in like 1995) when I was having a lot of problems with dry skin on my face. In the beginning I would only do this once or twice a week. Some weeks/months I didn't do it at all. About a year and a half ago when I was going through a pretty bad time with my skin, I decided to get hard core with it and started "taping" (as I like to call it :)) again. Again, at first I only did this once a day, twice a week. After about a week or so, I worked up to once daily and then eventually twice a day, every day. Within 2 weeks of doing this religiously (and following the instructions Maya gave in her original post) my skin looked amazing. I never had severe/cystic acne so my scarring was very mild and shallow. I only had about 4 or 5 on each cheek. I found that my skin's texture and clarity had so greatly improved over the first two weeks, I decided to permanently implement this into my little skin care arsenal. A year and half later, all of my scarring is gone (with the exception of one ice pick scar...that BTW, this method does NOT help). A few months ago I also stared using MSM topically after the tape and my skin looks even better. I am 29 and my skin looks like I'm 15 again. Just to reiterate what Maya said, do NOT use this while on accutane and I would alos add Differin and Retin-A to that. I think your skin is just too sensative and vulnerable while using those medications. Also, I hear a lot of people say they are using it around their nose and experiencing problems. I myself have never used it around that area as I don't have any scarrring there and don't tend to get dry there. That may just be a very sensative part of your sin. Also, avoid the eye area (maybe once a week to get rid of fine lines...that what I do) and around the mouth is alos very sensative for me. Also, do not overdo it. I see some peopel using it 4 or 5 times in one area and that WILL definitely cause you to become raw and red. Once or twice should do the trick. If you still have some scaley bits left, just apply moisturizer to them and they will be less noticible. Go back the following day and try the area again. If you just had a bad experience with it in general the first time you tried it, then maybe your skin is just ultra sensative and this method isn't for you. Just remember, always do this when skin is dry/oil free and always moisturize afterwards. I have used numerous topicals right after (BP, SA, MSM, etc) and not had any type of irritation because of them. Oh yeah, I really don't think you should be concerned about the sticky stuff on the tape clogging your pores, as I don't think anyone has ever had a problem w/it. Just take it right off after applying and then rinse or use toner like Maya said. Lemme know if I left something out or if you have any other concerns as I am always happy to help. ;)

Maya,

I was so desperate to try this method as it's cheaper and easier. Well, where are you these days, I miss you so much ~ My further question should be, usually, I would use Neutrogena® Alcohol-free toner after I cleansed my fragiled skin. I just poured a small amount of the toner on a cotton pad and then applied it to my face with gentle stroke. I noticed that no matter how HARD or maybe how CAREFULLY I cleanse my skin, I still noticed some dead skin cells on my cotton pads. I was wondering maybe they aren't dead skin cell but instead dirts that were left behind and were too stubborn to be cleansed away.

One time, I unaccidently scrubbed my chin with water after my cleansing work. I noticed that I could rub out something from my chin.They were white coloured things( I dunno how to call them ). So, what are them? By the way, what kind of tape you are using? Cello film tape?The one that we used for present packing?

thank you,

garkee2003

hi Maya, Hi folks,

A month ago, i too was cynical about this tape peeling, but after trying it for sometime, I think it visibly works. Even though i havent been very regular, i can still see a noticible improvement in skin texture, and fading of red marks. I hope to continue this and get better results. I am not on any other medication right now, though i have used BP and Retin A in the last 6 months.

farewell,

crushhhh

I was just looking at this thread and can't believe how much it has grown - nearly 6000 views!!

thats what i was gonna say. I just dropped back on the scars board after a month or so and i can't believe this thread is on its eight pages lol.

Mouse

I do NOT think that anyone on Retina A should use this method, your skin will probably be way too sensitive.

Sounds interesting... I just finished washing my face earlier today and happened to have some clear Scotch tape in front of me. Tried this on my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose- like the smooth feeling it leaves! Did not irritate like some experienced on there first attempt. Very encouraging to see the dead skin cells too. I have never exfiolated unaturally like this before, so I'm new to this.

I plan on integrating this in my regimen at night, as red marks are all I have left to achieve clear skin once again :D I will definitely be willing to post my results with the tape and keep tabs on this thread. Thanks Mya, this method seems like it could be useful, I will see how it works with time. The regimen I follow is below, I have oily to normal skin, in case anyone was wonderin'

Jerry

My regimen:

Mornings:

Wash+shave+antibiotics topical & oral

Mid-day (on those longer, stressful days only):

Wash+topical antibiotics

Nights:

Wash+antibiotics topical & oral+BP PersaGel 10%

I use the Purpose bar for washing and shaving.

My antibiotics are tetracycline 250 mgs and 1% clindamycin solution. I have never needed to use a miosturizer, so I don't.

Mouse

I do NOT think that anyone on Retina A should use this method, your skin will probably be way too sensitive.

I am on Differin and Clindamycin and I use this method several times a week. The first time I did major damage because I riped the tape out instead of pulling it off gently. Since then I have been very careful. Make sure you have aloe vera on hand when you are trying this. My advice is be extremely careful if you are going to try it. I could not believe the crap that sticks to the tape :D

as for moisturizing.. what do u think about using pure Vit. E oil????? I think it does cause breakout?

Also.. What about Aqua Glycolic face cream, which contains 12% glycolic acid?????

Thanks

-blue-

bluetonic

I've never tried vit E oil, but I believe some people find it helpful. The best oil I have ever used (and now always use it as my moisteriser) is pure 100% jojoba oil.

I have only heard good stuff about aqua glycolic cream, so I guess that should be OK. Bear in mind though, that if you have particularly sensitive skin that tapeing is a form of exfoliation and AHA (glycolic) is another form of exfoliation, so you would be in effect exfoliating twice. Perhaps you could use the aqua glycolic cream in the AM and then use tapeing in the PM followed by an oil?

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Maya :D

well i've been doi this for about a week now. and now! my skin is smoother and the red marls are going away very very very very quickly.

cheers Maya

sorry for last post.. i was in a hurry.

yeah, its been a long time since ive used this method..and i decided to do it again.. and see what happens..

i started breakin out again, kinda.. and i dont know why.

i think it might be the CG pressed powder.. i dont wear makeup, only when i go to work... but i cant seem to find one that stays matte and wont breka me out, anyone?

thanks.

-blue-

bluetonic

I use Lancome photogenic compact SPF14. It's not a foundation, just pressed powder but it does help to make skin look fresh and smooth.