Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
angelsspells

Scar treatment options

Hi all,

I am trying to decide which type of treatments I should get done for my scars. Hope you guys and gals can give me some advise.

I am a 25 yr old Asian female.

These are my scars in the pictures below:

I am currently deciding between the following treatments:

1) Fraxel 2 aka Fraxel SR1500

@$1000/ session

2) Sciton MicroLaserPeel

@$500/ session The doc said I need at least 3 sessions. I asked her about fraxel (which she doesn't have), she doesn't recommend it as she said 1 in 10 Asians will have complications from it.

http://www.sciton.com/

3) Subcision + BURANE XL Laser

I am not sure of the price yet as I have not seen the doctor yet.

http://www.wavelight-laser.com/admin.tool/...?printversion=1

All these procedures will be administered by different doctors.

which will be the best option?

Guest concerto

Hey, thanks for posting your photos.

I'm an Asian (23 y/o) female. I have scars like yours too.

Anyway, your scars don't look that bad. I don't know anything about the effectiveness of those treatments since I've never had them, but I hope whatever you choose goes well. Please post your after pictures too. If it worked well for you, I may try it.

Oh, oh. What about TCA cross? Would it work well on Asian skin???

Look at this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=23133

Hi Concerto,

Looks like we are kindred sisters on this. Thanks for the link, its really impressive. I had a look through every page of it. I agree the before and after pics are great. Makes me really tempted to try. But it is hard for me to lay my hands on some strong TCA for the Cross. Also, with the current numbers of my scars, I do not know how freaking long it will take me, and some of those are at places that are hard for me to see with a mirror. Further more, I have also heard some horror stories on this board with TCA cross treatment. It is just quite scary to use strong acid on my face.. :doubt:

Guest concerto

Angel, I know what you mean. The results are amazing, but I, too, don't want to put a highly concentrated acid on my face! It's scary!

Angel,

so what treatment are you going to take? I have scars like you and I am asian too...

I'm thinking about doing the fraxel, it would cost me $1200/treatment. It seems the price is too high compare to the ones that posted on this board. =(

WOw. Those look like my scars! I'm part asian too. WOnder if there's some connection. I went through four sessions of fraxel 1. At one point, I was excited about the difference it was making, but now I"m thinking I have scars I didn't use to have. SO hard to know. Regardless, the improvement is not enough to have me jumping up and down about it. I don't have Fraxel 2 in my local area, and am not willing to drive 4 hours round trip again. I'm considering silicone microdroplets or needling, but don't know if that would even be appropriate. I basically need to start from scratch with the consults and figure out a game plan.

I have a few scars like that, except they are not pink. My derm, who is probably not an expert, said they were too small for subcision/filler. They are not responding to Fraxel so I can't really offer anything, except that I don't think you will have a pigment problem with fraxel. I am guessing that fraxel would remove the redness, but not help with indents. I am coming closer to Chrissy's viewpoint that fraxel does not improve indents in a meaningful way, despite Reliant website photos suggesting otherwise. This no doubt varies by person, but I think fraxel is way overhyped for indented acne scarring. There have been many people on these boards with fraxel and no one has come back with a strong success. I would like to have a strong success story, but am dubious at this point. Compare that to the many people who have reported good success with fillers and dermabrasion. These are riskier, but seemingly way more effective than fraxel on indents.

If you learn that they are treatable by subcision/filler, I would love to hear more.

Hope this helps. Good luck from a fellow frustrated fraxeler.

I would really advise against TCA Cross unless you have it done by a pro.. Its cheap, but I have heard horror stories from people who did TCA cross on themselves.. your scars don't look deep at all so maybe fraxel would be your safest bet.

Good luck

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input and sorry for the late reply! :redface:

I had a treatment of Fraxel 2 done about a month ago. (sorry I do not know the settings used as I am not familiar with those numbers..) Nothing has really changed, and I am not expecting it to. My derm says improvement with Fraxel 2 is about 30-50% even after a series of 3-5 treatments (which is what he recommended), but it is still one of the better options available now with the current technology. I believe they use it as a standard treatment for acne scaring. He says my scars are not suitable for subcision or any other methods, such as TCA Cross, and he has seen too many patients coming in because of some docs not knowing what they are doing.

I actually like the fact that he was so frank with me about the results to be expected and not over promise, unlike some docs who put monetary gains before their patients' welfare, or they just do not know what they are doing. He also told me there is no treatment out there that can get the skin to looking perfect and scar free, which I believe most of us already know.

I had a series of microdermabrasion and AHA years before (done separately and not with this fraxel doc), and was using Retin-A for some years (stopped only recently). Not sure if they really helped. Probably a little, as I used to be much more obsessed with the scars but not that much anymore.

I think most of these scars were from a series of facials in my younger days, when I was breaking out. The beauticians did extraction on the acne and comedones during each of the facials. They were pretty rough and left my skin red and swollen each time. Best of all, the whole series added up to over thousand of dollar. :rolleyes: Don't every trust advertisement!! Was so young, uninformed and easily taken in back then. I believe my skin texture is crappy from the harsh skin care I used to use (too much Benzoyl Peroxide and harsh soaps etc), and probably also partly genetic too.

Anyway, I did not suffer too much during the Fraxel procedure. I had 2 layers of numbing cream, which were left on for over an hour. They also gave me 2 paracetamol pills. I would rank the pain a 3 out of 10. But it got a little burning sensation as my skin started to swell a bit after the procedure. There was also a slight break out a few days after. They are all gone now.

I booked an appointment for a second Fraxel 2 treatment, but like billyboy said, sometimes I wonder if the end results really justify the exorbitant cost. My treatment cost more than $1k each for the whole face. I am still looking into treatments options and justifying the cost. I am not really obsessing about it as much as in my younger days, so I will probably be taking it one step at a time. :whistle::)

i don't think your scars are bad enough to warrant an invasive procedure. there are very high risks involved and you don't want to damage your skin beyond repair. I recommend glycolic acid peels and going to the derm to get a prescription for tazorac. both of these things virtually eliminated the scars i had (similar to yours).

i don't think your scars are bad enough to warrant an invasive procedure. there are very high risks involved and you don't want to damage your skin beyond repair. I recommend glycolic acid peels and going to the derm to get a prescription for tazorac. both of these things virtually eliminated the scars i had (similar to yours).

Hey angelsspells! I think it's important to know the settings they used on you on your first Fraxel. Everyone here has had different settings used on them, and report back with varying results. Ask your doc the settings used and if you can, report back here. I think it would be very helpful to compare your settings with the rest of the Fraxelers here to make sure your doc is being agressive enough for your type of scars.

Hi all,

I am trying to decide which type of treatments I should get done for my scars. Hope you guys and gals can give me some advise.

right cheek 1

DSC_0025R-1.jpg

left cheek 1

DSC_0024L.jpg

right cheek 2

DSC_0022a.jpg

left cheek 2

DSC_0022a.jpg

forehead

DSC_0022F.jpg

chin

DSC_0022C.jpg

@$1000/ session

2) Sciton MicroLaserPeel

@$500/ session The doc said I need at least 3 sessions. I asked her about fraxel (which she doesn't have), she doesn't recommend it as she said 1 in 10 Asians will have complications from it.

Hi all,

right cheek 1

DSC_0025R-1.jpg

left cheek 1

DSC_0024L.jpg

right cheek 2

DSC_0022a.jpg

left cheek 2

DSC_0022a.jpg

forehead

DSC_0022F.jpg

chin

DSC_0022C.jpg

@$1000/ session

2) Sciton MicroLaserPeel

You're obviously wasting your time and money if you pursue this. Because in my book I wouldn't call them scars at all. If anything you only have a FEW scarred pores. If you feel you have the need to worry about something, go figure out what causes that yellow rim in your toilet.

i'm asian and my scars are nothing like that. they are lightish brown. i think you should find a topical treatment first to shrink your pores first cuz like people with big pores then to have reddish skin cuz of all the oil.

I also recommend Tazorac, as your scars aren't that bad. Or, if you weren't using a strong Retin-A, try a stronger formulation, and use it consistently.

i dont think like these other comments. your scars are like mine, very stubborn to fix. not large enough for doctors to take a real interest in things, yet not small enough to feel good about your appearance.

i have scars like yours and i suggest you do pursue things with a treatment.

i would suggest dermabrasion. i had a dermabrasion 5 years ago but the recovery time is really ugly. 3 months to feel somewhat normal, 1 year for all the redness to go away.

but dermabrasion helped 50-60% literally.

i still have some scars that i want to treat because of more breakouts after my dermabrasion and before my accutane. im looking around for another procedure that might be better, but so far, the dermabrasion seems the best for these types of pore/ice pick scars.

these ice pick scars will also affect your oil production big time, as they have me. i find myself having to wash my face constantly because my skin feels completely ripped open and my pores never feel closed.

i will keep researching for myself, but i suggest dermabrasion. good luck.

I wouldnt bother doing anything to make them better.. doesnt look bad what so ever... its just looks red and shiny.. .but dare i say you have form of lotion on so thats why it is, well, red and shiney.