Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadowscars

exoderm/ silicone/ great improvements in scars

Thanks for the pics your a man of your word unlike some. First thing to say is that your scars were fairly mild to begin with compared to some of the pics on Rullans site and the outlines of them are still visible in the after pics though greatly improved. What did Rullan use for abrasion sandpaper or curettes? My understanding is that abrasion is the critical component of the procedure which may explain the sub optimal results others such as our whinging Spanish friend recieve when they undertake so called Exoderm in various parts of the world without the abrasive component which in reality turns out to be nothing more than a modified phenol peel.

You don't see the improvement on your skin until 2 moths later. The first 2 months what you see is swelling. The pics you can see on Dr Rullan's web are clearly taken a few weeks after the procedure. You can still see the redness. I didn't have my Exoderm done by this Dr Rullan but all of the other posters who had bad experiences with Exoderm DID have it done by Dr Rullan or at least by a doctor that performed the chemoabrasion (whyme?). You shouldn't call me names (whinging) if you don't want me to call you names (xenophobic, the fact that i am Spanish is important to you?). If you have not had the Exoderm done you should just shut the FUCK up.

many of the procedures talked about on this board have made peoples' skin look worse and among all of them EXODERM HAS THE HIGHEST RATE. Absolutely every single person who have undergone exoderm on this board have been left with irreversible and devastating side effects.

I don't know you, as I've been off the forum for some time, but you've only been an acne.org member since 13-January 06. Not sure if you lurked in the shadows before that, but I can assure you that your statement is incorrect. Back in '04 there were acne.org members who had good results with the procedure. I remember the discussions--they might not have been in "Exoderm" threads, per se, but people chimed in here and there.

I'm not advocating the procedure. Just want to set the record straight.

Xenophobic Moi? why would centuries of Conquistador oppression and savagery in south and central america, decades of totalitarian rule by Franco and the spanish white flag retreat in Iraq cause me to be even the slightest bit xenophobic. :surprised:

You boss Dr Rullan should send plants with higher IQs than yours to the acne forums. Open a book and educate yourself and maybe someday you can get a better job.

i first went throught the subscisions. in my opinion the subscisions did not plump up my skin at all.. i had 2 subscisions done to my face. what they did for me was flatten out the rolling scars i had on my face. they helped to take away that ruffled look rolling scars can give. the next step was the exoderm itself..the exoderm flattened out the rest of my face and virtually eliminated the remaining wavyness of my skin ( excuse my technical terms ). it tightened up my pores and made them alot more shallow.. they definitely do not look as dark as they used to. the tone of my skin is even and alot softer looking. it took away the roughness that has plauged me forever ( someone actually referred to me as a babyface the other day, for the first time ever !!)... after i was all healed up i was still left with some pitting and a couple of dents in my face from over correction ( believe it was from a kenalog injection ).. that is where the silikon came in... it beautifully filled in any obvious pit and filled in the dents from overcorrection.. i was very concerned about the dents and was not sure they would fill in, but they did... now i am left with some large pores and my skin still looks a little rough....but i am much better off from where i was before the exoderm.. i will never get a major procedure done again.. i am satisfied with the way my skin looks , finally.. it really does not bother me anymore.. now im free to worry about all my other imperfections :)... i will get an occasional micro derm and a superficial peel now and they in hopes of keeping a softer appearance, but 4 the most part im done....

Can you give us a timeframe for the three things you did? Exoderm is a very risky procedure and dangerous for some with heart conditions and other health issues as the phenol solution in this large quanties can prove fatal. My assumption is the exoderm + manual abrasion only yielded minor results in eliminating shadows. Subcision yielded some and silikon yielded more depending on your body chemistry.

Many procedures alone yield minor to no improvement - doesn't mean it was a disaster. As for risks tell us about how he articulated that to you. Of course you probably read about it via written material on the net and what the Dr provided. I know every procedure has a risk of further scarring, etc. I am curious though what your dr. stated.

These posts are from the year 2004. They were not posted here on acne.org & I have no idea if this other site is reputable.

lol!!

time line is as follows... first i underwent the subscision in mid august of this year... what i noticed after the subscision was that my skin appeared to be flatter... that had always been the major problem with my skin, it had a wavy appearance to it as rolling scars will do. i never really had deep ice pick scarring, my ice pickes were shallow. i saw no difference on the icepickes, but the rolling scars were definitely helped which was encouraging, because i had never yeiled results on anything prior to trying subscision..it did not help the large pores at all.

i then had the exoderm performed in early october of this year. while he did the exoderm he also performed more subscisions. the next day he abraided the scars. when i got the mask off 9 days later my skin was obviously red, but completly smooth for the first time in my life, i almost cried (joy). as the days passed and the swelling went down i could see the scars coming back, but no doubt they were greatly reduced. i was very suprised to see that my pores had tightened up as well.. they no longer had that deep/dark look they always had..i noticed my skin was firmer, younger looking and a bit lighter.. even though it lightened it was even all over... there is demarkation from my neck to my face, but it is really only noticable by me.. and i really dont care, if that is the small price i had to pay to finally get some decent results it was well worth it. one other draw back was that the procedure left me with a about 5 dents on my face that had never been there before... small sunken areas that i was upset about. the dr explained that the kenalog injections that were used may have overcorrected the scars, causing this to happen.. he suggested i come back to have the kenalog diluted with saline which would take care of the problem. i knew if the dents filled in my skin would look better than it ever had..

i had the saline injected in early december... at that time he also used small amounts of silicon to help plump up some minor depressions in the skin.. the end result was flat, relatively smooth looking skin... i was totally satisfied at that point..this is the best my skin has ever looked w/o a doubt..although my skin is obviously not perfect, i have no regrets...all i wanted was to get some good results from a procedure and i finally did.. so the travel, the downtime, the embarassing redness, the anxiety over the dents in my face were worth it for me....

as far as him explaining the risks i am not quite sure what you are looking for.. he was no different that any other doctor.. he provided plenty of literature on the procedure and the consent form tells you the risks... he addressed any and all questions i had for him prior to the procedure, so as a patient i guess that is all you can ask for.. i certainly knew it was a risk when i got it done.. but the one thing that always stuck in my mind was some of the tremendous success stories that had been written by real patients.. i had read about no other procedure where people claimed to have had great results, just this one... i read all the horror stories as well... i am just thankful that i was not another one....i hope i answered your question..

Thanks, good detail about your experience and timeline. I am surprised that one silicone injection made a difference though. It typically takes weeks for your body to react to the silicone and over a course of six months to a year for any type of correction that is really noticiable. Did the Dr. use micro droplet technique?

Curious why did the the dr. use kenalog - was it for hypertrophic scars?

you know i was very suprised that the silikone made this big of a difference after only one treatment as well. i keep looking in the mirror to see if the dents are coming back... but they are not and its been over 2 weeks now..my only guess is that the dr did say that the dents were only temporary and would fill in naturally over time. he said the saline would dilute the kenalog thus plumping the skin up to its natural position quicker...so maybe its the combo of saline, silikon and my own collagen still forming from the exoderm.... i really dont know but each time he has told me something it has been correct..as for why he used kenalog i am not exactly sure... i remember him mentioning he used it while doing the subscision... he did so with me because he wanted to be as aggressive with me as he could because i live out of state and its obviously not easy for me to get to his office...i really dont even know what kenalog is if you care to explain it to me...but as for me at this point i am not going to second guess him..

Congratulations for your great results!

I know that some people can be a little bit cynical. This forum would be more pleasant if people on this board show a little sympathy for each other and really care and share joy when somone sucess. Also people shouldnt post if they don't have anything constructive to share.

When you go to a doctor, he/she doesnt compare you to other people with the same issue. He/she doesnt say that your problem is minor compared to others'. I think people in this forum should be treaten that way.

Sometimes it's better to not share great experiences in order to avoid topic replays with words like "BS"

I hope your scars heals nicely and please share your futher thoughts!

Congrats. I think we all benefit when we get honest, detailed posts like Shadowscars.

It is also ok to post negative experiences and reactions to help new readers avoid mistakes. In particular, exoderm has a bad rep from prior posters and is known to have high risk, so I can see how some interpreted his intial post as being from a shill. Shadow deserves a lot of credit for responding the way he did, but it is also imperative that both sides of the story be told.

i had rolling acne scars and ice pick scars. i recently had an exoderm procedure performed in chula vista. the same doctor then filled in some of the remaining scars with silicone.. the results are marvelous. about a 90 % improvement....

Cool, another San Diegan. I live in La Costa.....a ways up the road, but nonetheless, still on So. Cal! I've been going to an awesome spa in Poway....it's a somewhat lengthy drive (40 min), but it's well worth it....I save at least $60-100/treatment.

Wow. It's unreal how RUDE some of these people are. It's almost pathological. I'm a patient of Dr. Rullan and he has always been wonderful to me. He's done so much for my scarring, but I've been hesitant to post about it because of people like the ones who posted such rude remarks on this thread. Who the hell wants to sit around arguing with them, defending against baseless accusations and enduring personal attacks for just trying to HELP others by spreading information to fellow sufferers? To you offenders, and you know who you are , just understand that you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so inexcusably rude. It's absolutely fine to be skeptical, to inquire and to investigate, but when you act like a hostile paranoid maniac, you come off a fanatic and you ruin the entire objective of this message board for everyone...including yourself.

Wow. It's unreal how RUDE some of these people are. It's almost pathological. I'm a patient of Dr. Rullan and he has always been wonderful to me. He's done so much for my scarring, but I've been hesitant to post about it because of people like the ones who posted such rude remarks on this thread. Who the hell wants to sit around arguing with them, defending against baseless accusations and enduring personal attacks for just trying to HELP others by spreading information to fellow sufferers? To you offenders, and you know who you are , just understand that you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so inexcusably rude. It's absolutely fine to be skeptical, to inquire and to investigate, but when you act like a hostile paranoid maniac, you come off a fanatic and you ruin the entire objective of this message board for everyone...including yourself.

To you offenders, and you know who you are , just understand that you are shooting yourself in the foot by being so inexcusably rude. It's absolutely fine to be skeptical, to inquire and to investigate, but when you act like a hostile paranoid maniac, you come off a fanatic and you ruin the entire objective of this message board for everyone...including yourself.

When the rudeness comes from those that support this Dr Rullan it doesn't seem to offend you.. :think:

People do not attack every positive report on a doctor or treatment that is brought up on this forum. When there are numerous people reporting negative results with a doctor like Dr. Rullan who told them this is the best treatment out there for scars so they could end up with worse skin and more credit card bills, and every so often you get new posters like you who have been lurking in the shadows trying to revive credibility in Dr. Rullan and his procedure, its going to raise red flags in posters who have been following these posts. It is simply logical but Dr. Rullan and his staff know that the desperation and depression that is so evident on these boards clouds our better judgement. This is not the first time posts like yours appear on these boards its cyclical and they usually follow the same type of brainwashing- attacking those who have actually had bad experiences by calling them names such as negative, or maniacs, etc to reduce their credibility and try to spark some hope in Dr. Rullans moneymaker.

People do not attack every positive report on a doctor or treatment that is brought up on this forum. When there are numerous people reporting negative results with a doctor like Dr. Rullan who told them this is the best treatment out there for scars so they could end up with worse skin and more credit card bills, and every so often you get new posters like you who have been lurking in the shadows trying to revive credibility in Dr. Rullan and his procedure, its going to raise red flags in posters who have been following these posts. It is simply logical but Dr. Rullan and his staff know that the desperation and depression that is so evident on these boards clouds our better judgement. This is not the first time posts like yours appear on these boards its cyclical and they usually follow the same type of brainwashing- attacking those who have actually had bad experiences by calling them names such as negative, or maniacs, etc to reduce their credibility and try to spark some hope in Dr. Rullans moneymaker.

Guest markychv

Smoothlover OR DUDE WHOEVER IS BEHIND THAT SCREEN! Go bitch somewhere else! Let the guy tell us about his good experience, it is obvious YOUR not offering any help here or telling us whats worked for YOU, just plain bitchy sarcasm is all you offer. I dont work for Dr Rullan nor have I met him, but your post compelled me to respond to such a vicious reply, you were attacking someone who you dont even know who was trying to share a positive experience, he even had pictures to back his claim up.....what about you??

Posting Positive experiences = Priceless

Posting Negative Experiences = Priceless

Offering objective opinions = Priceless

Your bad attitude with nothing to offer but sarcasm= Not worth a DAMN!!!

P.S. funny how after shadowscars posted his before and after pics you shut up and stopped posting, good call on your part :dance:

i had rolling acne scars and ice pick scars. i recently had an exoderm procedure performed in chula vista. the same doctor then filled in some of the remaining scars with silicone.. the results are marvelous. about a 90 % improvement....

Dude,

Or whoever is behind that screen, :

You pop out of nowhere and your first ever post is about Exoderm, Chula Vista, an "UNKOWN" Doctor and a 90% improvement ?????

Are you sure you are not the famous Chulavistan Exoderm "Guru", Dr Rullan or one of his assistants ??? Or perhaps that famous nurse who likes to take care of Dr. Rullan patients and charges $300+ A DAY for smoothies???

If you read some exoderm threads you'll find horror stories about this procedure. Even some patients that at first defended Dr Rullan and his exoderm, have big regrets and call this Doctor a big thief and liar!!

uh, one more thing, some members have said that Dr. Rullan will try to sell you his silicone fillings too at any cost. After screwing up your face with the exoderm solution, he will convince you to undergo some "fillings" as part of the "Final Retouches" Oh ~ Isn't he sweet and compassionate??? Maybe we should build a shrine and worship him.

Guest markychv

Everafter,

I am originaly from Houston also, Dr John Yarborough in New Orleans is suposed to be the best and am going to see him, COUNTLESS Dr's here in Los Angeles highly recommended him and even said that they would rather that I see him for dermabrasion than them! And they were some of the top Dermatologists here in Los Angeles! So unless you are dark skinned Dermabrasion may be the best option, dont let people like Sword scare you UNLESS you are asian, latin or mediteranean olive skin, then I would agree that you should stay away from Dermabrasion period not just from Dr Yarborough. I have only heard of postiive things about Dr Yarborough from former patients I have met IN PERSON and Dr's here in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills. I am a light skinned latin man and thus far with everything I have had done I have luckily not had any pigment problems and I have had ALOT done, however when I say I am light skinned latin I mean I am almost paper white, you should see my body, even when I use the darkest self tanner I barely get a hint of color and its on the orange side. I USED to tan really well but as I have gotten older I realized this is a bad idea. Consider Dr Yarborough if you are also fair skinned.

Mark

Complaints about Rullan: Link to Exoderm Failure thread

Thanks, Sword. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hi Mark, can I ask you what type of scarring do you have? and what type of scarring did the people you met who have had a dermabrasion from Dr Y? what type of results are you expecting? thanks sheryl