Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As the title of this topic says "Doing nothing is best" i honestly believe this to be the truth, if only i had realised it 2 years ago before i myself ventured into acne scar treatment, and had 2 dermabrasions, the 2nd one being the the biggest regret in my life. I have been reading these forums now for 3 years and only very rarely do i come across a member with acne scarring who has had treatment (ie. peels,laser,dermabrasion,fillers) that are acctually happy with the result, more often than not they are extremely unhappy, and regret having had anything done at all.

Therfore in all honesty i think that time itself will heal scarring to the best of its ability, and screwing around with peels and lasers will just completely hinder the healing and cause further problems eg. more scarring,hypopigmentation,hyperpigmentation. Invasive treatments are a complete gamble as doctors dont always know how a certain persons skin will respond. And if i had my time again, it's certianly not a gamble in which i would want to take, dermabrasion completely ruined my skin not to mention my life. It's just not worth the risk.

I do agree with you that time is the best healer. However, how long do you suggest one should wait 5, 10 years? I'm sorry but posts like yours are what has always kept me from doing laser treatments or other treatments. On this message board you are more likely to not hear about the sucess stories because they don't have acne/acne scars anymore and they have moved on with their life. I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you, I truly am, but I'm not letting posts like yours persuade me against getting treatment anymore. I have lived with these scars for 10 years and that is enough. If it does not work at least I tried, but I can't sit here and wonder everyday if I would have just had the guts to go and get it done what the results would have been. Good luck with everything, hope you start to feel better about your skin and your life.

Jen

I feel the same way about treating acne itself. I've stopped doing all kinds of stuff to my skin and am allowing it to heal on its own and it's doing pretty good. As for the scarring I think you're right although I've seen some success stories but perhaps just leaving it and allowing time to heal would be best.

Well, I can tell you honestly that time will never heal your acne scars. I waited for 8 years before I did anything about my scars. They actually seem to deepen all of the time.

Actually many experts now agree, that while some scars (flat pigmented scars) many fade over time, sunken scars will actually appear deeper and deeper over time because of the constant degradation of the subcutanteous tissue (aging). Often, the damage to the dermal layer and subcutaneous layer associated with scarring can actually hasten the aging process which is why those with acne scars tend to look so much older. For all intents and purposes, their skin actually IS older.

I agree that you will probably never be satisfied with any treatment. I have never been. But do not get your hopes up about time fading your scars. I have found that the opposite is actually true.

cheers

Well, I can tell you honestly that time will never heal your acne scars. I waited for 8 years before I did anything about my scars. They actually seem to deepen all of the time.

Actually many experts now agree, that while some scars (flat pigmented scars) many fade over time, sunken scars will actually appear deeper and deeper over time because of the constant degradation of the subcutanteous tissue (aging). Often, the damage to the dermal layer and subcutaneous layer associated with scarring can actually hasten the aging process which is why those with acne scars tend to look so much older. For all intents and purposes, their skin actually IS older.

I agree that you will probably never be satisfied with any treatment. I have never been. But do not get your hopes up about time fading your scars. I have found that the opposite is actually true.

cheers

This is so true as told by my derm. Your scars will look worse as you age. The only thing that will go away after acne is redness but scars and hyperpigmentation stay the same and will make you look older. Just imagine when you have wrinkles and scars. :(

The first one to two years after you scar it could get better on it's own but after that likely just get worse as collagen degenerates with age. One should be very careful in scar treatments and really research as there are risks and you have to weigh them. Also go into it knowing you will not have perfect skin again.

cheers

great this makes me feel alot better... not :(

QUOTE(scarcrash @ Dec 18 2006, 08:22 PM)

cheers

great this makes me feel alot better... not

Oh yeah, me too :confused:

I've gotta do something soon.. This is scaring me :(

As the title of this topic says "Doing nothing is best" i honestly believe this to be the truth, if only i had realised it 2 years ago before i myself ventured into acne scar treatment, and had 2 dermabrasions, the 2nd one being the the biggest regret in my life. I have been reading these forums now for 3 years and only very rarely do i come across a member with acne scarring who has had treatment (ie. peels,laser,dermabrasion,fillers) that are acctually happy with the result, more often than not they are extremely unhappy, and regret having had anything done at all.

Therfore in all honesty i think that time itself will heal scarring to the best of its ability, and screwing around with peels and lasers will just completely hinder the healing and cause further problems eg. more scarring,hypopigmentation,hyperpigmentation. Invasive treatments are a complete gamble as doctors dont always know how a certain persons skin will respond. And if i had my time again, it's certianly not a gamble in which i would want to take, dermabrasion completely ruined my skin not to mention my life. It's just not worth the risk.

dermabrasion is a very invasive procedure. It works well with some people and not so well with others. You can post some pics of how your skin is now, i'm sure that there is a way to fix things or make them much better :)

In a way, doing nothing to your skin will help. Because it is not provoking or irritating your skin like some scar treatments would. But doing nothing at all to your skin will do just what it suggests, nothing at all! It will not make the situation worse, and most probably wont make it any better. If you want results, you must figure out some treatments and that's the bottom line.

AM--i'm so sorry your dermabrasion experience was so disheartening to you!

being three days post dermarolling/fraxel treatment i certainly have high hopes for the future collagen production and results of my treatment. but, i also have to be realistic in my expectations. i think i can reasonably shoot for a 50-75% improvement in my scars. i think that's very reasonable and might require multiple treatments and the inevitable time. as you state, time certainly can lessen the appearance of some scars--especially discoloration. however, i can honestly say the rolling scars i have most definitely have become more evident the past few years. during my twenties they were really not an issue. but, ever since i hit 30, i've noticed them more and more. that's why i finally decided to do something and try to lessen them.

i think we all have to decide what we're willing to live with regarding our imperfections--no matter what they may be because we ALL have them! whether they're acne scars or any multitude of other things. but, with all the new procedures and technologies available that might make the difference, i certainly don't suggest those who feel slighted by genetics shouldn't give up all hope and throw in the towel.

a few years ago when i first realized my scars were starting to appear more prominently i looked at the various techniques and decided most that really produced permanent results were just too harsh for me to try for the kind of scarring i had. with the dermarolling/fraxel i felt confident it was worth the shot to see what would happen considering i could afford the treatment and was willing to endure a bit of reasonable downtime. and, presently i'm very satisfied i did it! whether the results happen or not really isn't up to me now though i WILL my body to progress SO much! all i can do is wake up every day knowing i did something to try and help the situation and let time lessen my scars as much as my body can. then, re-evaluate my situation at my four week follow-up and decide if more treatment will bring me closer to my realistic expectations.

good luck to all of you no matter what you decide to approach your individual situations!