Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foxygoddess

Tea Tree Oil benefits?

I have an antibiotic-related systemic yeast infection which I am fighting to get under control (I was on the antibiotics for my acne for 2.5 years!). Anyway, I heard that tea tree oil has antifungal properties and was wondering if anyone else has tried it for that purpose? I may have a little oral thrush, so I'm going to gargle it diluted in water to see if it helps, as well as dab some on my toenails (which were also minorly infected with fungus, but have improved since I started my Threelac regimen). I just want to know if anyone has been cured by this alone without having to get on those awful antifungal pills.

Also, does dabbing it on active acne lesions reduce the swelling or help them in any way? Does it help with scars at all?

Thanks for the input!

warning : Tea Tree Oil is highly toxic if ingested (even in a small dose). Do not confuse tea tree oil with Tea Oil. FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY

Yeast infections seem to be a popular side effect of anti-biotics. I dont have a yeast infection, but I did get severe stomach aches from them. However, I have tea tree oil, myself. I use it on my acne.

Tea Tree Oil isnt like a regular oil...it's almost like a strong smelling alcohol (with slight burning), but with the oil consistency.

It's used to treat scrapes, burns, blemishes

It's an antiseptic and also an antifungal oil.

It's an oil that absorbs oil

I would put it on toe nails that are infected. I think that would def. help kill the fungi.

As for using it on my acne.....I like the way it looks on my skin, and It works great with benzoyl peroxide!!!

Good luck... by the way usually its $5-7 for a 2 once bottle in the US :D

Hmm...I wasn't going to ingest it, but it's good to know that it's toxic! LOL. I bought some today at Walmart for $5 and when I came home I showered and dabbed it on my active acne. Is it okay to put it on your skin like that, at 100%?

I will try it on my toenails tonight and put some socks on so I can have it on all night.

As for the gargling, I am only going to use three drops in a glass of water...and I won't swallow! Haha.

Thanks for your help!

hey foxygoddess, what are your other symptoms? i was on bactrim (strong antibiotic if you didnt know) for 1.5 yrs, got off it a little over a year ago.. i was stupid back then and just didnt care what i had to do to get rid of acne, so i did whatever it took..some health stuff happenned about a yr ago, which changed me a lot for the better..anyways, soon after i stopped the bactrim, i was getting extremely bloated from eating the trigger candida/yeast foods mainly, and had bad acid reflux for a while..the reflux symptoms went away, but still get bloated very easily (slowly getting better).. i was on the candida diet for a few months over this past summer..do you have any bloating/reflux/digestive issues?

You just put the TTO on top of the toenails? How would that help kill the fungus if it's underneath the nail?

AndOceans109, yeah I got pretty screwed up from the antibiotics. My main issue actually IS my digestion, I get bloated/gassy very easily and have problems just moving everything along, if you know what I mean. I used to get lots of stomach aches and I did have some heartburn/acid reflux for awhile, though it was pretty rare for me. Um...recently I developed the toenail fungus (it was on my fingernails too, not as bad but I put Vicks vaporub on them and it went away) and I also have blurry vision sometimes when I am normally 20/20. It comes and goes, it's really weird but that is also associated with yeast overgrowth. Since I started taking this anti-yeast product called Threelac, I've noticed improvement in my fungus and bowel issues. I've only been on it for a month, but for as long as I was on antibiotics I should stick with it for at least 4 months for ultimate improvement. The Threelac is comprised of three kinds of fungus-eating bacteria that is enteric-coated and is supposedly the "best" on the market for that purpose. You should try it to see if it helps you, the only thing you need to remember is to take lots of fiber and water with it, you don't want to get blocked up because constipation makes yeast worse.

And Kanmi, I put the TTO on the edges of my toenails and try to push it under if i can with the tip of a q-tip. Doesn't work so well, but I tried it last night and saw quite a dramatic change this morning. I think this will work better than the Vicks vapo rub that's supposed to cure fungus!

hey foxygoddess,

yeah i have the SAME thing going on..started with bloating, then had really bad LPR acid reflux for 6-7 months, now still have the bloating and slow moving going on, but its slowly getting better.. i was on the candida diet over the summer, and now pretty much on it (slacking a little bit), as well as a LOT of probiotics and yogurt. started garlic today..just wondering, why did you take the antibiotics for so long?? with me, i was just young and stupid and wasnt even thinking about it. just wanted the acne to go away, and bactrim was the only think that worked for me (didnt know about dans reg yet). i was even on 2 courses of accutane before the antibiotic with barely any results, except the horrible side effects and it gave me bad anxiety stuff towards the end which forced me to stop.. had a major health thing happen (about a year ago, had mono, and a massive tonsil infection that didnt go down on its own, had surgery, didnt eat for 2 wks!). since then, i'm ALL about health! i imagine the same thing happenned with you foxygoddess, wanted the acne to just go away no matter what?

Well, I was 16 and a junior in high school. I'd had moderate inflammatory acne since 13 and for some weird reason (maybe stress) my acne exploded out of control and it was moderate-severe nodular acne and I was REALLY worried about it. My GP put me on doxy and said it would help, so I agreed and it DID help with the big nodules, but I was still mild-moderate all the while I was on it. I didn't care as long as I had SOME improvement. My doc didn't say anything about it being bad to be on them so long, and just kept renewing my prescriptions. I finally figured it out on my own by researching the internet and tying all of my problems to candida which was caused by the antibiotics. It made a lot of sense, so I stopped the antibiotics about two months ago and began my threelac regimen; I'm also taking 2000 mg Milk Thistle everyday to detox my liver, as well as 2000 mg of Echinacea-Golden Seal Complex daily to boost my immune system and help my body get rid of the yeast. I'm thinking of ordering some Magnesium Citrate because I read that most people suffering from candida have magnesium deficiencies and that is why their digestion is slow and impaired; it's supposed to help regulate, but it's not fiber or a laxative. Worth a try, because my threelac will only work if everything keeps moving!!!

I'm hoping this works...I don't even want to THINK about the diet, there is NO WAY I could EVER stick to it...not even for a day. LOL.

lol yeah, i stuck to it 99.9% for a month, when i first read about candida type stuff and figured that could be the cause of stuff going on. then slacked off slowly, and now i eat healthy, not following it too strictly. what other syptoms do you have? i also have had horrible breathing issues, which might be be cause of the candida if that is what i have..had whole bunch of tests, NO asthma or lung probs, but i was having severe breathing issues, now which are pretty much gone.. was in the ER 7-9 times because of it, they thought i was a lunatic.. also was getting wierd sores in my mouth, in the four corners, way way in the corners, like if you put your finger in your mouth in front of your teeth, and slide it down/up and over, all the way in the backs..also had the white tongue often..things have just started to calm down a lot in the last month finally, what a relief! sounds like we had the same thing goin on before, being on antibiotics for so long and not even thinking about the negative stuff that could happen, before it was too late!

Ugh. I really wish I'd known what to look for while on antibiotics, or that anything bad could happen from them at all!!! My doc never said anything. I assumed they were perfectly harmless.

Anyway, I never had breathing issues really...well, I remember tennis season the year I started I was out of breath much more easily and I was huffing and puffing my whole match most of the time. I just thought it was allergies...speaking of which, I never had any before and now I find myself sneezing quite alot. I even bought some allergy medicine awhile back, which I'd never needed before antibiotics. I didn't think too much of it at the time, because I didn't know what was going on.

Other symptoms I've had are numerous and on/off. My distance vision gets blurry sometimes, and I have to strain to see something I otherwise wouldn't the day before. It was really bad awhile back, constant enough to where I went to the eye doc to see what was up. He said my eyes were healthy and I was just nearsighted. I was like...what?! All of the sudden I go from 20/20 to nearsighted and needing glasses?!! Argh! Needless to say I only used the glasses for seeing the overhead at school for a few months, then it slowly got more clear and I stopped using them. Really weird...now it's about once every few days I have a "blurry" day, but it's not as blurry as it was then and I can deal with it w/o glasses.

Um...when I FIRST started the antibiotics I got a REAL yeast infection, the female kind. It went away with a little pill the doc gave me, never had another one of those kind since. I did have urinary frequency (still do, though not as bad) and what I thought were urinary tract infections, though when I went to the doc my labs were normal.

Let's see, what else...well, my toenails of course are a more recent development, I think that told me it was getting out of hand and all over my body (the yeast toxins were travelling through the blood). Also more recently, I have felt very fatigued and had pretty significant mood swings and bazaar feelings of rage for no reason at all. My personal relationships suffered for a few weeks, and I literally felt unlike myself--almost like an out of body experience in my mind, like the yeast was in control of my outward actions while inside the real me was a tiny little thing all curled up in the corner, watching. Pretty weird, it freaked me out enough to start researching on the computer to find out what the hell was wrong with me. I looked for about a week before finally connecting it to yeast. But yeah, I guess everyone experiences different symptoms from yeast, depending on the person. I think my recent episodes were telling me that I was getting very ill, because they weren't just annoying...they were destructive.

Oh yes, and I've also had the white tongue for about a year now. It started out slow, I just thought it was bacteria gathering on my tongue overnight because I wear a retainer. I started using a tongue scraper and have been ever since, it seems to be diminishing A LITTLE since I began threelac. We'll see, but I hope it goes away soon...it's gross!

If I think of anything else I will add, but as you can see I've had a lot of trouble with this crap. My doc probably thinks I'm a hypochondriac, and that makes me mad. I guess doctors don't "Believe" in yeast. Whatever!!! :evil:

I have been using tea tree oil for over a year and I love it. Nothing has been able to help my acne like this product.

Don't put the tea tree oil directly on the skin by itself. Mix a small amount with your cleanser.