Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BLIU

A sudden problem w/ recurring nodules?

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some advice from those of you who have dealt with these issues. About 6 months ago, a large, red swelling appeared on my forehead just above my eyebrow. It looked like it was going to be a pretty nasty pimple and it was very painful. About a week later though, it was still there, bigger, redder, but still obviously deep under the skin. Then the entire surrounding area began to raise, full of fluid. It was incredibly painful and although it was full of fluid, there was no pus and no head ever formed on it. My Dr. told me it was an infected pimple and she told me to put neosporin on it and to come back for antibiotics if it didn't improve. It did eventually get better. However, I now get them all of the time... in cycles! I will get one on my forehead (in the exact same spot or close), then one on my chin (lower left side). When one heals, within the next two or three days, a new one will pop up in another area. Right now I have one at the top of my nose. It is always the same story - if I pick at them, there is fluid, fluid, and more fluid for days, then I am left with a huge "starburst" hole in my skin. If I don't play with it and just put either BP or neosporin on it, it takes a LONG time to finally go away but it still drains fluid only and I am still left with the "starburst" hole that takes even longer to heal (and b.c. they keep coming in the same spots, will likely leave me with a permenant scar).

I know I need to see a derm, however, I am in law school and taking finals right now and living states away from home (and insurance coverage). I just want to make sure this is indeed a form of acne and that my only option is to see a derm before I spend the money to do it.

Thank you all for your time.

yeah, seems like these are either cysts or papules. Papules are smaller than .5 cm. Cysts are larger. I would go to the derm and see what they say. It is very unlikely that this isn't some form of acne.

these sound like nodulocystic acne. I also suddenly started getting this kind of thing a year ago in grad school (23 years old). i had never experienced acne like this before. I got myself to a Dermatologist ASAP and a gynecologist. My dermatologist is treating me with accutane and my gynecologist is treating me with birth control pills (just switched from yasmin to ovcon 35 with good results). do you find you get these nodules before your period? if so, you would probably benefit from getting on birth control and gettting an endocrine workup by your gyne. sudden cystic acne can be a sign of androgen overload.

get yourself to a dermatologist and see your gynecologist (i'm assuming your female?) ASAP to minimize scarring.

these sound like nodulocystic acne. I also suddenly started getting this kind of thing a year ago in grad school (23 years old). i had never experienced acne like this before. I got myself to a Dermatologist ASAP and a gynecologist. My dermatologist is treating me with accutane and my gynecologist is treating me with birth control pills (just switched from yasmin to ovcon 35 with good results). do you find you get these nodules before your period? if so, you would probably benefit from getting on birth control and gettting an endocrine workup by your gyne. sudden cystic acne can be a sign of androgen overload.

get yourself to a dermatologist and see your gynecologist (i'm assuming your female?) ASAP to minimize scarring.

Yes, I'm a woman and I do certainly notice an increase in all types of acne prior to my period... however the nodules or cysts just continually cycle - one in one place, heals, then on to next spot, heals, next spot etc...

I have been on birth control for years and have been using Nuvo-Ring now for almost 4 years. I have been on BC for so long, I honestly wouldn't even know how it helps/doesn't help w/ acne.

I certainly feel like my only option at this point is to get to a derm once that is an option. Other than that, after reading so many other posts, I think it would be intelligent to keep a log of what/when/and how these things are and appear so that I can make the most out of a trip to the doctor.

Thanks for the information! I truly appreciate it!

I've found the CURE for nodules and it's nothing short of miraculous--this works--a special therapeutic oil blend you can get from Young Living. Of course if you've never heard of Young Living because it is an MLM--then you have to find a distributor. I'm not one...yet. Thieves Oil--get it and put it on the bumps and watch them disappear-mostly overnight. Active ingredient? Might be the clove oil--or the synergy of it with the others. I read that one oz. of clove oil has the antioxidant effect of 450 lbs of carrots--think about it and it makes sense. One little bottle lasts a very long time. Reply to me please if you have success. I'm collecting testimonials for a website launch---with another few "miracles" I've discovered through the years--and would appreciate hearing all feedback.