Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smyth1

Red skin, purply when cold.

Ok so my acne has been gone for a year now, still red marks but they will go. My only problem is my skin colur is screwed. My whole face is still red apart from around my eyes and it goes purple when its cold and its really noticible. I dont know what to do, laser? peels? cosmetics? any help appreciated.

hmm, have u been to a derm?

maybe you have rosacea? I don't know.. or maybe your skin is too sensitive now

what treatment were you on?

I went to the derm when i had acne and went on accutane for 5 months. I didnt really think much of it then because i thought it just comes with the acne. I also tried just washing my face with water for a few months but that made no diffrence.

My mum said she only noticed the redness in certain places after the accutane though.

I have the same issue. My hands get flushed and overheat. If this happens they turn very red. In the cold they get blotchy and purple. I'm guessing my face does the same. If I get too hot I get flushed and if I scratch my skin a redmark appears and can stay for minutes (and if it's on my face we are talking like 5-15 minutes).

If I take showers and the water is too warm my feet, hands, and knees turn red. Also if I do any kind of physical activity I get flushed. If I bend over to pick something up I also get a little red. And blushing has always been bad for me. If I get nervous like doing a presentation in front of people I can turn very red.

I'm wondering what the hell this is. :(

Retin-A got rid of my redness. It is my doc's concoction and it also contains hydroquinoine [sp?] and ascorbic acid but maybe all Retin-A products have these other 2 ingredients. I've also heard a series of IPL will do the same thing.

My face turns purply in the cold and my red marks stand out so much more, But I have noticed this with other people such as My mum who doesn't have acne and one of my friends, I don't think its necessarily related having acne. Wish I could just get that nice rosy cheek glow that most people get!

My mom had this problem. It's rosacea. She had some laser treatment that targets the red and she has not had any problems since.

I have the same issue. My hands get flushed and overheat. If this happens they turn very red. In the cold they get blotchy and purple. I'm guessing my face does the same. If I get too hot I get flushed and if I scratch my skin a redmark appears and can stay for minutes (and if it's on my face we are talking like 5-15 minutes).

If I take showers and the water is too warm my feet, hands, and knees turn red. Also if I do any kind of physical activity I get flushed. If I bend over to pick something up I also get a little red. And blushing has always been bad for me. If I get nervous like doing a presentation in front of people I can turn very red.

That's the same with me.

I also get purply, mostly noticable on my hands. My face sometimes is purple/blue under white light, hard to tell in your bathroom with it being white/orange/yelloish like. I hate white light.. >.>

I have a similar problem with my skin getting very red when outside in the cold and especially when I snowboard becuase of the wind and the cold. The best thing I have found so far that works amazing is adding a nice coat of neutrogena oil free moisturizer for combination skin. I add some of the before i go out in the cold or before i snowboard and I'm fine. When i snowboard i still try and cover my face because my skin is sensitive, but the moisturizer helps a TON. Give it a try, the worst that can happen is your skin will be really soft :surprised: . Hope this helps some of you.

Many of you are describing Raynauds, which I was diagnosed with about 15 years ago. It happens mainly when I get cold and mainly to my fingers and sometimes to my toes. My finger tips can turn white or purple. What happens is the blood stops circulating in the tips of the fingers or toes. When it happens to all of the fingers at once you can see where the blood stops because of the horizontal line.

I control the Raynauds be keeping warm. Sometimes caffine or chocolate will enhance the Raynauds. I have a mild case because I can control it. Some people can't and need medication. People with Raynauds should see a rhumatoligist.

I have this and it's because I'm hypothyroid...I would imagine that most people that experience this (along with sensitivity to cold) might want to have their thyroid properly evaluated. In my experience Raynaud's does not seem to occur independent of other underlying health issues...

I get this as well. It's not Raynauds but overall poor blood circulation. Raynauds is quite a bit similar so its confused with poor circulation all the time on the internet. I've had my thyroid levels checked a couple of times and their fine. I've had loads of blood tests and i'm healthy overall.

For the most part I notice that when i eat sugar and too many carbs my skin gets way more reactive and sensitive. My redness also gets a lot worse in general, and when i exercise my face gets overheated brutally. Eating a low carb/sugar diet with lots of veggies has helped me more than any medical prescription ever has but ultimately isn't a cure. It makes the condition more manageable.

I think IPL or Laser treatments would probably be beneficial as well. Just make sure you get a good doctor to do the treatment b/c it isn't risk free.