Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stanno

Beautyskin is working!

I'm 51 and had increasingly bad acne since a teenager. I started treatment on advice from my GP about 16 years ago, which started with antibiotics, some surgery to remove the worst areas of damaged face skin (which left worse scars than the acne, BTW), and finally 2 courses of Roaccutane. This was in the early 90's when not so much was known about the side effects.

I had severe depression and needed to go on anti-depressants for 3 years. I also had severe flaking of the skin, especially lips and inner ears, which I still have 15 years later. Two years later the acne came back, so I went back on a combination of oral antibiotics and benzamycin for a further 8 years (5 of which I took antibiotics continuously).

The acne got progressively worse, and started to include deep cysts which were extremely sore and unsightly and would last months each. In despair I was referred to hospital dermatology departments, who suggested antiseptic face washes (which did absolutely nothing).

I really was in desperation and looked for help on the web. I came across this site and saw the posts about the blue/red lights. As my skin has always cleared up well in the short British summers it seemed worth a try, so I found one 2nd hand on ebay!

I'm now into my third week of 2 x 15m per day and the results are nothing short of miraculous. In that short period of time my skin has cleared to the point where I can go out without using concealing make-up (which I have used for 20 years). I know this is a very short period to predict outcome, but I know my skin well and even accounting for periods of comparative remission it has not looked this good for 30 years. Not only that, it feels better; there is none of the oily, itchy sensation which was almost always present, apart from after a few hours in strong sunlight, which I guess is what this is replicating.

It's early days, but I really believe (hope) this may be the turning point for me. Now I'm registered here I'll post follow-ups as things progress.

I'm 51 and had increasingly bad acne since a teenager. I started treatment on advice from my GP about 16 years ago, which started with antibiotics, some surgery to remove the worst areas of damaged face skin (which left worse scars than the acne, BTW), and finally 2 courses of Roaccutane. This was in the early 90's when not so much was known about the side effects.

I had severe depression and needed to go on anti-depressants for 3 years. I also had severe flaking of the skin, especially lips and inner ears, which I still have 15 years later. Two years later the acne came back, so I went back on a combination of oral antibiotics and benzamycin for a further 8 years (5 of which I took antibiotics continuously).

The acne got progressively worse, and started to include deep cysts which were extremely sore and unsightly and would last months each. In despair I was referred to hospital dermatology departments, who suggested antiseptic face washes (which did absolutely nothing).

I really was in desperation and looked for help on the web. I came across this site and saw the posts about the blue/red lights. As my skin has always cleared up well in the short British summers it seemed worth a try, so I found one 2nd hand on ebay!

I'm now into my third week of 2 x 15m per day and the results are nothing short of miraculous. In that short period of time my skin has cleared to the point where I can go out without using concealing make-up (which I have used for 20 years). I know this is a very short period to predict outcome, but I know my skin well and even accounting for periods of comparative remission it has not looked this good for 30 years. Not only that, it feels better; there is none of the oily, itchy sensation which was almost always present, apart from after a few hours in strong sunlight, which I guess is what this is replicating.

It's early days, but I really believe (hope) this may be the turning point for me. Now I'm registered here I'll post follow-ups as things progress.

Hi,

I'm so happy for you. Would you consider posting pictures of your progress in the gallery when you are ready? Some people have taken pictures at angles so you can't see their whole face - just some of the problem areas to retain their privacy.

Momwhosews.

great going. What's this light treatment? What the web site?

The treatment I'm using is the Beautyskin red/blue lamp. The website is this one!

Sorry, if you mean what website for the lamp, try a Google search for Beautyskin. I got mine from ebay so didn't go through a web retailer.

great going. What's this light treatment? What the web site?

It's quite expensive but it last for a very long time. I can't remember the excact number of hours, but you won't have to change the lights for the next many months.

Guest ~Wolfy~
It's quite expensive but it last for a very long time. I can't remember the excact number of hours, but you won't have to change the lights for the next many months.

The tubes last several years.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Yeah. Sounds exceedingly promising. I believe that that itchy feeling is the inflammation that is at the root cause of acne.

From what you said, it sounds like you're responding really well. The only thing I will say is watch out from any inflammation from using the lamp twice a day and reduce the time if necessary (unless the lamp is old- for example if there are dark marks on the ends of the tubes, then using it longer would help compensate for the reduced light strength).

From what you said, it sounds like you're responding really well. The only thing I will say is watch out from any inflammation from using the lamp twice a day and reduce the time if necessary (unless the lamp is old- for example if there are dark marks on the ends of the tubes, then using it longer would help compensate for the reduced light strength).

Yes, I'll keep an eye on the redness thing, although there's no sign of that yet. My plan was to do the twice daily thing until things had got significantly better then switch to the recommended one 15 minute session. To be honest, I reckon I've just about reached that stage already. All lesions, apart from the very worst cysts, have cleared and I haven't had a single new spot develop for two weeks (I can't believe I'm saying that!).

BTW, the lamp does look pretty new. Difficult to tell when it's second hand, but I'll keep an eye on the darkening at the end of the tubes you mention. Cheers.

UPDATE: 2 weeks on, so five weeks total. It's just getting better and better! Skin feels healthy. There have been a couple of whiteheads, but I think this is the skin ejecting dead material - they are not painful in any way and once emptied they clear up quickly.

I even had to miss a couple of days over Christmas when I was visiting relatives and it doesn't appear to have had any negative effect. My confidence it growing when in company and for the first time in many, many years I'm looking forward to big changes in the new year!

UPDATE: 2 weeks on, so five weeks total. It's just getting better and better! Skin feels healthy. There have been a couple of whiteheads, but I think this is the skin ejecting dead material - they are not painful in any way and once emptied they clear up quickly.

I even had to miss a couple of days over Christmas when I was visiting relatives and it doesn't appear to have had any negative effect. My confidence it growing when in company and for the first time in many, many years I'm looking forward to big changes in the new year!

Great to hear that you're doing well! Since you are at about 5 weeks, have you experienced any skin redness or irritation from the lights? It doesn't sound like you have.

Great to hear that you're doing well! Since you are at about 5 weeks, have you experienced any skin redness or irritation from the lights? It doesn't sound like you have.

No side effects that I've noticed. No redness or irritation. The only changes are positive ones - skin seems less oily, less itchy and I think there is a very slight tanning effect so I don't look quite as palid as I would normally at this time of year.

Another update - coming up to 3 months use now and it just gets better & better! I switched from twice to once a day (15 mins) after 6 weeks and there is continuing improvement in skin condition and appearance. I have had 3 new spots in the last 11 weeks, and these have cleared up well. There are 2 very deep cysts which date from before the treatment, and these too are slowly vanishing.

After 30 years of suffering this really seems miraculous. I'm going to see my GP shortly and suggests she recommends this for others in my position (and tell her to ask the NHS for funding for this). It would have saved the NHS thousands of pounds if I hadn't had multiple hospital visits for surgery, accutane monitoring, dermatology consultation and the many, many years of antibiotics, benzamycin, washes, etc - none of which worked!

Without this forum I never would have heard about blue/red light treatment, and presumably would have suffered for years to come, needlessly. It seems crazy that the NHS won't even tell you about this possible treatment, let alone fund it. My happiness is only slightly blunted by the thought of how things may have been if this treatment had been available before (I have deep scarring over most of my face), but in general I'm over the moon.

Guest ~Wolfy~
Without this forum I never would have heard about blue/red light treatment, and presumably would have suffered for years to come, needlessly. It seems crazy that the NHS won't even tell you about this possible treatment, let alone fund it. My happiness is only slightly blunted by the thought of how things may have been if this treatment had been available before (I have deep scarring over most of my face), but in general I'm over the moon.

does beautyskin always give you refurbished products? i think for 300 bucks they should give u a new one right? I bought one and it was noticably used, 2 of the lights didnt even work...then they gave me another one and it had little dents in the plastic..another sign that it was second hand. ANyone else notice this?

does beautyskin always give you refurbished products? i think for 300 bucks they should give u a new one right? I bought one and it was noticably used, 2 of the lights didnt even work...then they gave me another one and it had little dents in the plastic..another sign that it was second hand. ANyone else notice this?

Mine appeared to be brand new but since using it for approx 11 weeks for about 30mins a day 38.5 hours use if my maths is right the tubes have started to change colour and darken towards the end im not sure if this is what wolfy mentions? The discolouration (looks grey against the white of the tube) isnt right at the end but about 3cm in and then stretches about 4cm in length it is most prominent on the red tubes especially the central ones. But its apperance makes me think maybe the tubes have done more service hours than I have used them for.

Any advice appreciated

Guest ~Wolfy~
Mine appeared to be brand new but since using it for approx 11 weeks for about 30mins a day 38.5 hours use if my maths is right the tubes have started to change colour and darken towards the end im not sure if this is what wolfy mentions? The discolouration (looks grey against the white of the tube) isnt right at the end but about 3cm in and then stretches about 4cm in length it is most prominent on the red tubes especially the central ones. But its apperance makes me think maybe the tubes have done more service hours than I have used them for.

Any advice appreciated

hi stanny, i would like to ask you a few question :)

Does BeautySkin clear all type of your acne ? (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, nodules etc..

Does it clear ur icepick scars ? or at least fade them?

Since you use BSkin, there no more scars forming right?

Thanks for reading :)

hi stanny, i would like to ask you a few question :)

Does BeautySkin clear all type of your acne ? (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, nodules etc..

Does it clear ur icepick scars ? or at least fade them?

Since you use BSkin, there no more scars forming right?

Thanks for reading :)

Guest ~Wolfy~

One interesting wheeze I just thought of for the BeautySkin.

You can get spare bulbs:

http://www.androv-medical.com/product.php/...e775e7614c0556b

They're not stupidly expensive.

However, if you replace the red with the blue bulbs, and leave the existing blue bulbs in you get twice the strength.

That means you can treat your face in half the time- 7.5 minutes instead of 15.

(It's not quite as good because you aren't using the red bulbs, but the difference is small... just depends how much of a hurry you're in.)