Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justinberger

Does Silicon injections really work?

i was curious if they are actually permanent and last for life, have anyone here had this procedure done? or know alot about it?

restylyne isn't permanent. you are hooked for life. lol but silicone is permanent. however, for my case, it didn't work.

Acnenomore, I have just finished one session and still waiting on some results. How many sessions did you get and did you have any results at all? My scars do get better when stretched so the doctor said I was a candidate, however I wouldn't totally classify them as rolling.

Acnenomore, I have just finished one session and still waiting on some results. How many sessions did you get and did you have any results at all? My scars do get better when stretched so the doctor said I was a candidate, however I wouldn't totally classify them as rolling.

Tricia,

I just got a pm from him. He said he did it 10 times on a crater scar with no results. Hmmmmm :shifty: That would classify this as a potential complete failure for me as I too have a very large crater scar. I'm losing hope now.

I think a lot of it has to do with your doctor too. Some are TOO conservative, and thus you will never see results. But, with the right doc and the right amount I would have thought it had to work. But, with acne scar treatments, what you perceive to be the outcome is rarely ever like the true result. That is probably the best lesson for all of us to learn about this terrible disfigurement.

I know when I have kids, the first thing I will do if i start to see a pimple is get them right on accutane and have the best derm like Dr Y lance their cysts. The only true way to stop it is to catch it before it happens. Once it is there, it is meant to be there for life.

Ugh what's so frustrating is that I can never find someone who has not had any results until AFTER i have done it for a few months and spent hundreds of dollars. Where were all of these people when I was asking about it several months ago? In my years of experience on this board, when at least one person fesses up to it not working, that is usually the cold hard truth about its effectiveness for 90 plus percent. It's sad but true, and I too am getting so frustrated with my minimal to no results.

Ten times is alot :confused: I wonder if it got better when stretched? I really think there should be a refund for people who get no results whatsoever, because I don't recall signing anything that said you may or may not get results. I was told there would be results. Of course it is early for me and I will probably try again but I too am frustrated from not seeing results with many things in the past that was pretty expensive from doctors.

Ten times is alot :confused: I wonder if it got better when stretched? I really think there should be a refund for people who get no results whatsoever, because I don't recall signing anything that said you may or may not get results. I was told there would be results. Of course it is early for me and I will probably try again but I too am frustrated from not seeing results with many things in the past that was pretty expensive from doctors.

Well I distinctly recall asking many people about this in the past and noone responded. Hardly anyone said they had tried it. I wonder what doc Acnenomore went to? I know Rebellygrl said patience is key, but after 10 times I would be wondering if my silisocne weren't migrating or something. I;d be really scared.

I also wonder if someone who did it 10x with no results, really was a candidate for it in the first place. Remember a bound-down scar incorrectly diagnosed with filler can either result in no effect or donut effect. Bad news either way! For me, I am confident in saying that it works, just not very well. I seem to get 15-18% incremental improvement each time. I felt like how some of you are saying when I first started back in mid august. To date I've had 3 rounds and am hovering around 45-50% improvement from the day I started. It simply is less deep and approaching seamless surface-type situation! It did take around 90 days and 2 session before I could notice correction. It does work though, because I can easily remember a few months back when it was indeed much deeper to the eye. Shadowing is certianly better. My guess is 3 more session to total eradication. Shape is still there, but make-up whoops that no problem once flat. All I can tell you is to stick with it, if 90-120 days goes by, and your positive it has had no effect, then try something else, just don't be surprised if your improvement is similiar to mine, that is 15-18% improvement per session. Multiply that by 3 session, and my number is between 45-50%, which indeed is roughly the visual improvement I can gauge! Just think back to how much deeper it was, its just not giong to help the shape as you know, keep administering more if possible and I'm sure you'll get benefit. Tell your doc to overcorrect, leave the dr. off ice with a bump, that way, when swelling goes down, you get a little extra than what they give out by default. I can clearly tell that the offending area is far more shallower than a short 4 1/2 months ago, simply no doubt about it! I just don't want to bump my head and peak out at 50%, so its full steam ahead with more treatment sooner rather than later. I noticed dan was estimating a very high mark of 70%+ and said he did it 5-6 times! I, also believe i'll hit the 70% threshold in nearly the same amount of sessions! Its expensive, slow, tedious, boring, and overrated/priced, but it works for me, and considering the high level of difficulty it takes to find what works individually, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so as long as I keep getting 15-18% improvement each time, then it really is only down to time!

they say collagen forms around the silicon....wont overtime....the collagen fade thus making this not a permanent treatment?....i would think the only way to gain "volume" to a scar would be to put somesort of very very small implant under the scar to add volume....do any of you know anything about that or know if that sounds more realistic approach than silicon treatments cause seriously....it's 2006... how COULD THERE BE NO PERMANENT SCAR TREATMENTS it really makes me angry it's not like we live in the 1950's we're in a total different generation a more ADVANCED yet noone cares to create something permanent? it's a joke scars should be more researched and materials should be tested to put in the body to add volume

they say collagen forms around the silicon....wont overtime....the collagen fade thus making this not a permanent treatment?....i would think the only way to gain "volume" to a scar would be to put somesort of very very small implant under the scar to add volume....do any of you know anything about that or know if that sounds more realistic approach than silicon treatments cause seriously....it's 2006... how COULD THERE BE NO PERMANENT SCAR TREATMENTS it really makes me angry it's not like we live in the 1950's we're in a total different generation a more ADVANCED yet noone cares to create something permanent? it's a joke scars should be more researched and materials should be tested to put in the body to add volume

The silsicone is supposed to last as long as your natural collagen does, so im thinking that buys me at least 20 years, and ill be happy with that. In 20 years, I think there may be something else to try again.

Thefskc

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. It is a slow and tedoius process. I just had round 3 and would agree that I probably notice a minimal improvement.

I guess the 15% could add up but I wonder if I am getting the donut effect and not the scar filling effect. I'm planning on going back Jan. 2 and consulting again and will have to decide then what to do. I can be patient if it will work but still wondering.

also worth noting is that even will all these negatives, its still better than 90% of the other treatments. I almost classify it now as low-risk, as opposed to the cold-hard steel approach which is much more risky than this stuff will ever be. And there really is nothing else out there, I guess you could say its the best of the worse, the worse being all treatments, as I do not consider any of them to be "good". and I certianly would not call any of them "great" However with all that said, I may very well recommend lis over most else, mainly its drawback are I despise its price tag and also its mind numbing slowness, but it is getting the difficult job done in its own, extremely natural way. If I had to give it a mark or a grade, I would give it D for slowness and overpricing, i would give it an A in risk, as in little to none, and most importantly I would give it a B- for actual effect, considering how poorly all other treatments are, getting 45% improvement in 4 1/2 months may very well be quite notable. Its sort of like the glass half full/half empty type thing. If you tell people you got 45% in 4 1/2 months, most people would say thats a great result, but I guess when you go through it, and watch it take forever, and suck u dry of all your cash, then your slighlty less thrilled about even though it is getting better right under your nose. I think it works while you sleep, so, in the end, if your conditions are right, you got the money, and know what to expect, then you can probably get rid of most of it in under a year at several thousand in cost. You won't be doing cartwheels and backflips along the path though, you'll just wake up one day, and you'll see that its worked and you've had enough, for some of you, this day might not come until this time next year or summer time, or whenever, just count on 5-8 treatments and a large pricetag, and you'll probably solve most of your problem, unless you should have been involved with a treatment that is prequisite to lis having any chance, make sure the conditions are right!

Guys,

I'm thinking seriously about getting this done. I have a few questions:

1. Did anyone here have their procedures performed in NY, and if so by who. I'm looking at two NYC doctors now....Dr. Paul Frank and Dr. Soren White. I'd like feedback as to what experiences anyones had with either..... and cost. I wish I could get this done in upstate NY, but can't seem to locate anyone outside of NYC to handle silicone microdroplet injections.

2. After treatment, were any marks left on the skin, that would require my missing time from work? I need this for scheduling purposes.

3. Has anyone ever considered or experienced Fraxel, or any other laser treatment either before or after injections for further improvements with skin discoloration, wrinkling, etc.... In other words, use one treatment in combination with the other, to gain the best that each has to offer.

Thanks,

Jim

Jimr - I have had 5 rounds of silicone micro with Dr. Alkek and there is some swelling that persists for several days with redness that persists for up to a week or so. The improvement shows up in about 3 to 4 weeks and each round seems to give aobut 10% to 15%. I didn't have to miss any work. I had my appointments late in the day and then went to work the next day.

Dan

Jimr - I have had 5 rounds of silicone micro with Dr. Alkek and there is some swelling that persists for several days with redness that persists for up to a week or so. The improvement shows up in about 3 to 4 weeks and each round seems to give aobut 10% to 15%. I didn't have to miss any work. I had my appointments late in the day and then went to work the next day.

Dan

I have a question for you and anyone else who's had the injections done by Dr. Alkek. I had my first round of injections yesterday evening and I have two areas were he injected that feel like bumps. These are the only two spots where he injected that feel this way, so I'm wondering if he may have injected the filler in too shallow? I know he performs this procedure all the time, so I'm hoping this is normal.

tp85 - Of all the injections, I had one or two spots that had a bump that lasted a few days or so and then went away.

Dan

Yeah, they're starting to become smaller. Had me worried for a minute. Thanks for your quick reply.

tp85 - Of all the injections, I had one or two spots that had a bump that lasted a few days or so and then went away.

Dan

Yeah, they're starting to become smaller. Had me worried for a minute. Thanks for your quick reply.

I had a tiny bump too that went away after the healing process finished. It had me a bit worried too in the beginning.

I had my second round of injections performed today. I noticed what I thought to be around 15% improvment but Dr. Alkek said he noticed a lot more then 15% and thought this would be my last treatment. All I have left is some scarred pores and poor texture on my cheeks....I am very pleased with my results.

I had my second round of injections performed today. I noticed what I thought to be around 15% improvment but Dr. Alkek said he noticed a lot more then 15% and thought this would be my last treatment. All I have left is some scarred pores and poor texture on my cheeks....I am very pleased with my results.

Hey drewboy, Congrats on your improvement! I haven't seen you on here in a long time. I still have mixed feelings about doing "a lot" of silicone injections. Are you done with your procedures now?

hey thanks cubsfan. Ive posted a little bit in my "did my own dermabrasion" thread. Hah, Actually that got rid of a few ice pick scars and dramatically shallowed a few boxy-looking scars and is comparable in results to my silicone injections.

I may go back in for a 3rd if I need a tad bit of touching up. If I only would have done this instead of the other fillers I wasted my time on! Kicking myself in the foot for that one. You live ya learn.

nope trident, no pics. I dont have a computer and right now Im using a friends. I can say my scarring is moderate. Usually my scarring is only apparent under harsh lighting as I have some pretty viscious rolling scars.

I can say that I am very happy with the silicone injections. Two years ago and some change I had some of the worst scarring on this board, now after my dermabrasion, fraxels, and silicone injections Im starting to get my face back....finally.