Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
richie772001

I had a few scars I wanted to get rid of... Smoothbeam finsished me off

I had a few rolling scars on the right side of my face that I wanted to get rid of, I did not have acne. I had an infection of the beard at the time...

I asked the doctor if there was any risk that this might complicate matters - He said no

I asked the doctor if it could possibly make things worse - He said no

I went for 4 smoothbeam sessions without any complications. The last one I had on Nov 27 shredded my face.

I asked the doctor if there was any risk that this might complicate matters - He said no

I asked the doctor if it could possibly make things worse - He said no

I have a shredded face now. Not a few extra scars or a little bit of hypo-pygmentation I have white marks all over well those are the new scars.

I have little dots that are scars they go in a nice machine like pattern. I have elongated scarring I have shred marks on my face now.

I am going to see this doctor on Tuesday to ask him what happened. I am really upset haven't been able to eat or sleep much.

I had his office send all the medical records to my house, the one thing that isn't there is an informed constent documentation. He never went over any risks and assured me that the procedure wouldn't have any complications. I asked them to take pictures the last time I was in there and they said no. They have one set of before pictures that I am hoping to be able to use.

I feel like I am going to puke.

People please stay away from lasers and peels, both are useless for cars. Peels are great for complexion and evening out skin tone, but that can be done with very low low percentage peels.

Hey,

I just wanted to say I am sorry that this has happened to you. How long has the marks persisted? Is there any chance this could be temporary?

Hang in there

It has been three weeks, I don't think they are temporary I think the DR burned something that was under my skin, I am going nuts

I don't look anything like me anymore.

I think I am pretty screwed

High settings will destroy fat and give you rolling scars, for some reason it destroys any healthy shine you previously had.

I agree with s500,for scars peels and laser just stay away.Dermbrasion is the only procedure that can give scars good results but that has loads of risks too,even for mild scars.2 out of 10 benefit from lasers and that too very slightly with more chances of complication,peels are garbage for scars.Im sorry to hear about you i myself made my face much worse without much knowledge and just going in by what the internet or doctors say and like you there are many many others,it is very important for us to educate ourselves about scars first than try anything.I really hope your skin gets better soon.Unfor. rite now there is no good or safe procedure for scars we just have to try and learn to live with it or spend loads just to get a 5-20 % improvement(that too not sure) which is pointless in my opinion.Your doctor must have made you sign some papers where its written about complications? otherwise i think there is a chance to sue him?.

I can relate to your dilema. I had a total of six smoothbeams. 4 were a few years back. This last one was just in November. I feel partially responsible since she had the machine on the highest setting and I said that was fine, even though the pain on my forehead was not like I remembered from any of the other ones. I had marks all over my forehead and face. Well, my cheeks seemed to turn out ok but my forehead has two new small craters which resemble the end of a laser. Very odly shaped and I am fairly certain they were not there before since I really didn't have any scarring on my forehead. They are right in the center at the top which will make it fairly obvious if I ever decide to wear my hair without bangs. I never thought I would say it but yes there are some risks with smoothbeam. The scars look like the skin underneath was just fried. I was exited since previous smoothbeams had yeilded pretty good results but this time I now have new scars. Luckily they are on my forehead and I wear bangs. Do you have any pics of what happened to your face?

I can relate to your dilema. I had a total of six smoothbeams. 4 were a few years back. This last one was just in November. I feel partially responsible since she had the machine on the highest setting and I said that was fine, even though the pain on my forehead was not like I remembered from any of the other ones. I had marks all over my forehead and face. Well, my cheeks seemed to turn out ok but my forehead has two new small craters which resemble the end of a laser. Very odly shaped and I am fairly certain they were not there before since I really didn't have any scarring on my forehead. They are right in the center at the top which will make it fairly obvious if I ever decide to wear my hair without bangs. I never thought I would say it but yes there are some risks with smoothbeam. The scars look like the skin underneath was just fried. I was exited since previous smoothbeams had yeilded pretty good results but this time I now have new scars. Luckily they are on my forehead and I wear bangs. Do you have any pics of what happened to your face?

Most of my scarring from laser was on my forhead as well, tiny pin holes where the laser penetrated, and two rolling scars where fat was totally lost, sucks. Laser ruined my life. Where the f is the fda in all this.

Richie, so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like the person who performed the SB didn't know what they were doing. Any doctor who tells you there are NO complications or side effects from ANY treatment doesn't know what they are talking about!! If you didn't sign any forms I would talk to a lawyer.

I have done 6 SB's, 6 Yags and another one I can't think of at the moment over 3 years ago at high settings and everything went well for me. Improved my scars quite a bit. Totally worth is for me but I have GREAT doctor and right now am doing Fraxel 2 treatments at pretty high settings as well and I can already see the scars softeninig and my skin tone and texture is getting better all the time.

So I don't agree that lasers aren't beneficial for those of us with acne scars. This is the technology of the future.

I would never do a C02 or a dermabrasion even though I know it's worked for some people. I know my skin and I prefer to go with the safer (in the right hands) nonablative lasers.

Did you go to a doctor or a plastic surgeon? It is VITAL that you find a qualified, experienced DOCTOR to do any kind of laser surgery.

Again, I am so sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you can find someone who can refer you to a qualified surgeon or doctor to help you with these problems. best of luck to you.

If 10 people get more scarring and two people see some improvement not even total elimination would you consider this beneficial? or would you use your brain and say im not taking chances. The odds are against you my friend, dont sit down at a black jack table.

i'm sorry this has happeneding to you, richie772001. what's your skin type btw?

s500, stop being so negative not all laser treatments are BS. alot of people have improvement with them, one after another, so don't speak for the whole population. and what's your skin type?

i'm sorry this has happeneding to you, richie772001. what's your skin type btw?

s500, stop being so negative not all laser treatments are BS. alot of people have improvement with them, one after another, so don't speak for the whole population. and what's your skin type?

I have followed this board for quite sometime im not being negative but take this as a good warning, I mean what more do you want to hear before you say " oh shit im not messing with laser" If I just see one thread like this that would knock some sense into me. Howver its not jsut one, its ALOT.

This thread alone proves it, and my old thread, and about 50 others if you search. go ahead take my negativity in a wrong way and go get your laser done, sounds better? One more question, if someone told you theres a slight chance this laser can destroy your skin for good, and forever you wil live scarred, and theres even a slihter chance your few scars might disappear, would you take that risk. Now for the truth, its not just a slight risk you will scar your skin further, its a big big risk that drs dont tell you, not only because they want your money but also because of their lack of experience, with different settings different wavelength different skin, they dont knwo every scenerio, some just dont know the outcome. Best bet is to only laser the scared pore the icepicks, the crater and dont touch any healthy skin, drs wont do that, cause then they wont feel like they did a full job if they just zap you once. Laser will burn and rip your skin apart if it doesnt then forget about that glow you once had. Not negativity but truth, search key words like " laser + disatereous or regret in the search, youll come up with too many negative feedback, see how many people are on their way to success, you wont find too much. Please dont take this in any wrong way, I just want to put it outthere that laser is dangereous and I myself along im sure richie would tell you to stay away for any new comers reading this.

I tried taking some pics with my web cam but they don't really show what is going on, I talked to my primary care physician and she sees me once a month because of the car accident I was in.

She said it looks like things are healing, meaning that the pinkness that was under my skin is surfacing - those areas of pink that look like they were manipulated by the laser seem to be blending in with the white spots, it my be because the pinkness which was a lot redder when I posted this is raised.

I really can't tell - mirrors are not the most reliable things either, they give a distorted image of what people really see.

My parents were in florida and got home today I went to see them and my mother and father didn't seem to get creeped out they acknowledged that something is going on with my face but how are they supposed to know what exactly it is.

I am going to see my Doctor (he has written papers and books on skin care I didn't let some Tech do anything to me) on Tuesday to see what he has to say. I am going to take a tape recorder too, I don't think he is going to be defensive but if he is I want it all on tape. I am also going to try to work with him to see what is going on. I am not the type of person to jump into court of things. I do feel that he was misleading or unknowledgable about what would happen to the pink under my skin which is pretty disturbing. I went to see four other doctors about the pinkness under my skin and they didn't know what it was either so not sure what I can say about that.

Well I will keep you guys updated not really sure what if any negative affects are going to be present when I everything is said and done. I hope for my sake that the lines and dots (by the way they are surrounded by pink which my be throwing my eyes for a loop thinking they are scars. Which can happen) but on top of him saying that is should do nothing to affect the pinkness but maybe not allow it to grow and the fact that there are clearly DOTS and lines is really freaking me out.

The patterns that the thing made is what is scaring me the most, scars are one thing but there is a star shaped patch of white. Umm who gets a star shaped scar???

I am just going to stay away from the mirror except to was my face.

God I hope this is just something that is healing.

I had really good skin up until this point in my life so this is really hard on me to begin with I think karma my be paying me back for being a little on the vain side.

Oh yea thank you for your support, by the way I was getting really positive results from the first four sessions, I may just be a freak case cause of the pink under the skin

S500, I have done over 21 different laser procedures (over the past 4 years) on my face total and I got good results (which IS beneficial to me!!!), not perfect results I admit but I know there isn't any one treatment that will get rid of my deep scars. I had no bad reactions from any of them (listed in my post above, all NON ablative lasers).

I'm sure there are people who are in the hands of unknowledgeable practitioners who can do great damage with a laser but I myself have read about good results or no results at all. Again like I said if any doctor tells you there are no risk for complications or side effect from a procedure RUN from his/her office!

I haven't read very many accounts of horrible things happening with non-ablative lasers as opposed to hearing a great many stories about people having major problems with procedures like C02 lasers and Dermabrasions ( both are ablative). I think the non ablative lasers are much safer to try on scars! There are many different types of lasers so you can't just lump them all into one category.

Richie, good to hear that maybe things are healing on their own for you!! As everyone always says I'm sure the marks on your face don't look as bad as they seem to you ( I know this from personal experience!!). Talk to your doctor but I would caution you from having him treat you again. I just can't imagine a doctor who doesn't explain FULLY the risks of any procedure AND has you sign forms that he informed you of said risks. My doctor has a nurse who spends about 20 min. talking to you (even after a consultation with the doctor) and explaining things and then I had to sign papers that I understood the risks.

It does sound very bizarre that the Smoothbeam laser would do this to you after having 4 other good treatments!

Good luck and continued good healing.

21 and your still getting them done? must be because your not satisfied as of yet and there are some posters with just one or two treatments and were severely damaged, even if you didnt have complications, is this an approach anyone would want to take? 21 laser treamtments and still not fully satisfied to one treatment that can ruin you for life. Thats just a risk I wouldnt want to take, the odds are not with you which is my point and I hope I can save one more person before going under the laser table, your 21 laser procedures should tell them it doesnt work. Not negativity at all I just would hate to see a young soul hopping on some train like plenty of us did here in the past, to find out theyre scarred more with less money in their pocket. Richie your skin will heal but it will take longer then normal, if you break out becareful squeezing as your healing abilties are hindered at this point, your skin will better in time. your far from the first person that got damaged with Smoothbeam, if you guys search you will find plenty of posters regreting swearing, wanting to sue. Were here to help eachother out and im doing no less by speaking my mind and I hope my self and richies thread here will save someone from going thru this. Good luck to all.

Here are just some posts I breezed thru so you guys dont think im making this up and again one negative post would put fear in me not to get any laser done but its not just one its PLENTY. I tried to erase the names as much as possible. Im done here I and Richie if you need to talk and have any quetions feel free to PM

Group: Veteran Members

Goodman,

That is where I got all of my smoothbeam burns. The hundred or so blisters that scared when we were treating what was essentially ONE acne scar! Now I have blister scars a year later that he said were only superficial and easily rectifiable! HA, they are worse than any acne I ever got or any scars that my own body did to itself. He has a FAB reputation, but his assistant burnt me bad and I am devastated by the whole freakin experience. I regret the day I ever went there... Anyone eles know a better derm here in Melbourne? I am still trying to get rid of these blister scars....

Forum: Scar treatments · Post Preview: #634041

Veteran Member

I scarred more from smoothbeam, I don't think my doctor was very experienced w/ the procedure. Even last night, my boyfriend told me that he believes the smoothbeam made things a lot worse. I regret ever going to that lady who did my smoothbeam, but I had trusted her. Foresight is always 20/20.

BTW, I went for 4 smoothbeams to correct my acne scarring, and mild acne I was getting (I was on spiro, so my acne was mild at the time). Smoothbeam made me breakout terribly, I mean the worst breakout I had ever had, and the end result accentuated and caused more scarring.

I was o.k. before my smoothbeam procedure, now, I am absolutely obsessed w/ what has happened to my face.

Group: Members

Hi

I am a patient of Dr Chau and have recieved several smoothbeam treatments and CO2 laser from him .

I can see some improvements on my acne. However, i still have heaps of acnes and the treatments have actually give me even more ickpick scars and red marks.

I regret to visit him in the first place, becoz this seems to be created more problem for my skin rather than fixing the intial problem.

Please consider carefully!!!

Forum: Scar treatments · Post Preview: #796311 ·

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Feb 2 2004, 06:45 AM

Actually, I've had this done, if it's an intense light pulse (believe that's how it is) ILP laser you are talking about. My experience was that for red spots it takes care of them fairly well, but for large pores and scars (even shallow to start with) I'm afraid that it will make them slightly, slightly less shallow but larger in area, sort of spreads them out. For active acne there is no benefit. Due to the expense (I'm embarrassed how much) I dearly regret it.

The smoothbeam has attracted better reviews here. Best of luck.

The very least we can all hope with isolagen is that our skin looks fresh and in good health even if scarred. I found that after co2 laser my skin looked waxy now (hmm 4 yrs later) it looks tired and rough (as well as some odd lines and demarkation lines).

I never, for one minute thought I would be bashing smoothbeam since my 5 previous sessions were really good. I actually even got blisters a few times which healed. Blisters this last time also but they healed completely. So obviously I am a pretty good healer if I am careful. I thought alot of previous posters blamed smoothbeam for some coinsidence but I think it actually melted the fat under my skin in two very small areas on my forehead.. No joke. I am not one to blame this laser for scarring which simply was not there before. The area was very red and then kind of brownish, still is brown. I am hoping it might fill in a bit and have been masaging the area. The scarring I have is like two half moon shaped scars adjacent to each other on my forehead. It looks like fat loss under the skin. I am not saying it is just bad all around this smoothbeam but the only times I really saw any real results, were the times they used the higher settings. This last time, it appears some fat got lost under my forehead. These are very small scars but right smack in the middle of the top of my forehead. If these were on my cheeks, I would be very upset. I have been wearing bangs for a long time so it is not a noticeble area but still.... Be warned, check some of my previous posts, while I am normally skeptical of new things, I have had 5 of these previously, 4 several years ago, and nothing but a few tiny blisters previously.

i have had 5 smoothbeams done like 3-4 years ago intially i thought i noticed decent results, but i think in the end it caused some fat loss not sure on this, and made my skin saggy, again not sure if its because of the smoothbeam or im imagining the fat loss and saggyness or if its even my natural skin shaping..

i never really took care of my skin until recently, i went out in the sun with no protection, i was under constant stress for a long time maybe all this had led me to premature aging, but then again it could have been smoothbeam.

either way i wont ever do smoothbeam again, as it didnt really improve my scars much,

and doing 21 laser treatments, at some point you have to say enough is enough, there reaches a point in lasers where it might not be so good health wise and problems could come down the road..

I think people are better off doing more abrasive techinques like needling,excision,subcision, but who knows its 2006 and no one knows what works for scars, fuk who knew scars would be so difficult to treat, sad part is im done looking for perfection i just want a little more improvement. im slowly getting better and better 1 more year of fighting scars and iam done with it.

Not all lasers are bad! I'm currently undergoing Fraxel treatments. It hasn't made anything worse. I've learned over the years that it is easy to damage your skin than heal. There will always be a risk with more aggressive treatments. I realized that you were fine with previous 4 treatments. Once our skin is damaged (i.e acne scars) whether its mild or severe, it could take a long time to heal (years). Aggressive treatments could be dangerous for darker skin color. Also finding a good doctor is very important. What type of skin color are you? How long has it been since your last treatment? It usually takes 1 week of downtime for your skin to heal. Most of the horror stories are from more invasive lasers like CO2 or if gone aggressive. GL with your healing. Keep us updated.

I did a series of 3 lasers (SB, Yag and one for redness) at the same time, once a month for 6 months. Now I am doing a series of Fraxel treatments one a month for 5 months. These two series have improved my skin quite a bit. It's not like I'm having some type of laser treatment all the time. I did the series of 3 lasers over 3 years ago. The normal aging process in this time frame (yes, I am older then most here) has made me want to do another round of collagen producing NON ABLATIVE laser, the fraxel 2. I have done these treatments over a period of 4-5 years.

Sorry but I will not give up trying to improve my skin. I have full faith in my doctors skills.

I have done peels and microdermabrasions too but these really had little to no long term effects on my skin.

Your evidence about those who had problems with laser, well one of them was a c02 laser that I myself said was very risky (ablative) and a few others 'think' the laser ruined their skin but aren't sure and one said it was the doctors fault for being inexperienced. Which again proves my point that you have to be VERY careful choosing a doctor.

I'm not saying non ablative lasers are for everyone but for me they are the right treatment. So your generalized statement that all lasers are bad is uninformed. I could show you quite a few posts where people were very happy with their results but I don't have the time or the patients to continue with this. Pointless I see as you don't even seem to be reading and comprehending what I have written.

I get it you don't trust lasers and that's fine but don't go around telling others what to do and misinforming people. Of course I tell people to do major research before deciding on a procedure and especially a doctor for ANY procedure done. Dermabrasion is MUCH MUCH riskier with much more or a difficult recovery period then a non ablative laser. Period.

Good day. I've said all I have to say.

Again Richie I wish you a speedy recovery.

I did not experience this and I've had 5 smoothbeam treatments spaced 4 weeks apart. The smoothbeam did improve the texture of the skin but DID NOT really solve the oiliness problem (excess sebum) and did NOT significantly reduce scars....

However, it did help...fixing scarring is such a sloooooooooooow process unfortunately...it could take 12 smothbeam treatments spaced several weeks apart to eradicate them

As far as discoloration I only got a little redness that went a way after 30 minutes....any other redness was minimal and faded by the next day...

What you are describing sounds highly unusual as the smoothbeam should not cause hypopigmentation or white marks. I would look for other factors or possibilities for what could have caused this such as sun exposure, medications etc. Try to get a blood test or ask another dermatologist or M.D. about this....

Best of luck to you

Not to get into a debate here but obvioustly, this is the only procedure they had recently and it seems it was to blame for the white spots. I didn't realize how powerful smoothbeam could be until this last time when my skin was red and spotchy for nearly 3 days. I still have these 2 dents in my forehead which are not my imagination presumably from smoothbeam. I never had any scars on my forehead besides a few possibly very tiny ones. I would consider myself as having somewhat tougher skin and do tca peels on my cheeks occasionally. I didn't get any dents on my cheeks. I do think those having good results should stick with their settings and not try and go full power with this laser since this is what she did with me. Also a different presumably less skilled operator did my smoothbeam this time. I was quite happy at first since my skin tone otherwise seems greatly improved. Then I noticed the dents on my forehead....