Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowjello

why fluorescent lighting makes red marks look worse

Many people find the color spectrum produced by some fluorescent lighting to be harsh and displeasing. It is common for a healthy person to appear with a sickly bluish skin tone under fluorescent lighting. This is due in part to the presence of prominent blue and green lines emitted directly by the mercury arc and in part to the type of phosphor used. Many pigments appear a slightly different color when viewed under fluorescent light versus incandescent. This is mainly the case with fluorescent lamps containing the older halophosphate type phosphors (chemical formula Ca5(PO4)3(F,Cl):Sb3+,Mn2+), usually labeled as "cool white". The bad color reproduction is due to the fact that this phosphor mainly emits yellow and blue light, and relatively little green and red. To the eye, this mixture looks white, but light reflected from surfaces has an incomplete spectrum. More expensive fluorescent lamps use a triphosphor mixture, based on europium and terbium ions, that have emission bands more evenly distributed over the spectrum of visible light. These phosphors give a more natural color reproduction to the human eye.

A lot of those words I didn't really understand.. but all I can say is fluorescent lighting should be banned.. its the reason why I had to leave school on thursday when I looked at my self in the icky lights in the bathrooms :X:(

A lot of those words I didn't really understand.. but all I can say is fluorescent lighting should be banned.. its the reason why I had to leave school on thursday when I looked at my self in the icky lights in the bathrooms :X :(

Basically, the kind of light bulbs that make your skin look bad give out certain colors that bring out the bad colors on your skin. The other light bulbs have different colors more evenly distributed, so it bounces off your skin evenly and doesn't make it look weird.

At least I think that's what it says.

why didn't they just say that then?

geesh.

A lot of those words I didn't really understand.. but all I can say is fluorescent lighting should be banned.. its the reason why I had to leave school on thursday when I looked at my self in the icky lights in the bathrooms :X :(

Basically, the kind of light bulbs that make your skin look bad give out certain colors that bring out the bad colors on your skin. The other light bulbs have different colors more evenly distributed, so it bounces off your skin evenly and doesn't make it look weird.

At least I think that's what it says.

why didn't they just say that then?

geesh.

lol.

its saying that fluorecent light gives out certain shades of color...which makes things look bad. it makes things look a different color than they really are. the light looks white to our eyes...but when its mixed with color we can see how wierd it looks.

Guest concerto

Yeah, I hate fluorescent light bulbs too. Dermatologists and surgeons agree that fluorescent lights don't make you look attractive (I read this in a beauty magazine.) LOL