Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Homemade cleanser

I currently use a prescription BP cleanser, and a glycolic cleanser. I want to continue with the glycolic, but I think I want a gentle cleanser for daily use.

All of the reccommended gentle cleansers contain at least one ingredient that is problematic, so I want to make my own.

I just thought of this last night, but I have some ideas. My first thought was to take vinegar dilute it with H20, and use that to wash my skin, but wash it right off(I leave it on currently). I'd like to pre-mix it, but I'm afraid the water will become stagnant/contaminated--any ideas?

Then I thought of maybe oatmeal and honey as a cleanser.

It just seems like all of the products I can buy are full of ingredients I don't want, and they make me break-out.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and /or comments.

~Emma

Not a homemade suggestion, but I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash and I've been happy with it. Have you tried it? It's very gentle.

Tamara,

I did try it a long time ago, but it broke me out. It had some ingredient in it on that "no-no list."

I tried washing w/ vinegar, and rinsing it off, and it seemed to really exfoliate--even more so than when I leave it on. It's too soon to tell if it'll work. At least it's all natural though.

I decided I can't use it as a toner daily, bc my skin is really dry, and peely. I'm torn between thinking that's great, and thinking it's bad....

The water you get after soaking rice (if you cook rice as regularly as we do) is supposed to be a gentle and soothing cleanser.

You could also try this, it seems pretty good. I'm going to try it tonight.

http://www.womanht.com/facials/waterandgra...ainsfacial.html

Sometimes I wash my face with milk, I dunno how smart that is with all the hormones in milk, but it's soothing - and a friend of mine recommended using milk of magnesia as a toner and then rinsing it off. (I dunno if that's good though cause it's alkaline and might interfere with the skin's acid mantle).

Sorry that the Purpose didn't work for you....

Here is a recipe for Oatmeal Cleanser from the book "Natural Beauty at Home":

1 cup warm water

1/2 cup oatmeal

1 tbsp. glycerine or honey

1-2 drops of benzoin (optional)

If you are interested in natural recipes, this could be a very useful book for you. smile.gif

You're welcome! smile.gif

For future reference, from cosmeticscop.com:

"benzoin extract. Balsam resin that has some disinfecting and fragrant properties; it may also be a skin irritant (Source: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, www.naturaldatabase.com)." - Paula Begoun

after reading that, I think it's a good idea to leave it out.

I've been using the diluted vinegar to wash my face for a short time now, and I have to say that my skin looks much better. I find it much more effective than using it as a toner. It may be bc the warm H20 opens my pores, or bc I rub it in(instead of just letting it sit on my skin).

I don't want to post super positive results yet to encourage everyone, bc it has only been a few days. I'll keep an update periodically.