Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rue721

Weight & Acne

I've been noticing for a while how many people on this forum describe themselves as especially thin. I was thinking back on the people I've known in school, etc, with (bad) acne, and they were thin also. I myself am on the lean side, but I know there are people here who are eating 3X the recommended amount of calories just to mantain a healthy weight, which I've never heard of in my regular life... it seems as though it is difficult for a lot of people here to gain weight... strange considering most of us are American and British!

I don't know much about the diet related side of acne, and I was wondering whether other people had noticed this as well, and what it might mean....

My only guess is that fat has a lot of female hormones like estrogen, and maybe since we tend not to have a lot of fat, our male hormones aren't correctly balanced out?.... just a guess.

Is there a corralation between being thin and having acne?

I've also been thinking this same thing!

All of my friends at school and like 75% of the people I see around at school are thin (like me) and have trouble GAINING weight, and we all have acne.

Haha, I don't have a problem gaining weight at all :rolleyes:

Then I'm going to go out on a limb and say the poster isn't referring to you.

:wacko:

The reason why the majority of people with acne are thin is because acne is a digestion problem.

Poor digestion->poor assimilation of calories and nutrients->you're thin

and for the acne link

Poor digestion->toxins created in your gut->toxins released through your skin->acne

The reason why the majority of people with acne are thin is because acne is a digestion problem.

and for the acne link

Poor digestion->toxins created in your gut->toxins released through your skin->acne

Hmm, thanks for that, I never knew that.

Could this be why it seems like I have less breakouts / new pimples when I drink a LOT of water everyday? Maybe the water is helping digest my food.

Is there anything you can reccomend as far as WAYS to eat your food or food habits I can get into to make digestion easier?

Thanks!

and for the acne link

Hmm, thanks for that, I never knew that.

Could this be why it seems like I have less breakouts / new pimples when I drink a LOT of water everyday? Maybe the water is helping digest my food.

Is there anything you can reccomend as far as WAYS to eat your food or food habits I can get into to make digestion easier?

Thanks!

How about not drinking ANY FLUIDS with meals. Do your drinking one hour before or after meals.

and for the acne link

That's really interesting- I've always had minor digestion problems, and problems handling rich food- since I was a little kid.... It might be linked to the fact that I was born at a low birth weight, and doctors were worried my intestine might rupture (which it didn't, thank God).... that problem was due to the fact that when my mom was pregnant with me, she had this vain problem, so I didn't get all the normal nutrients, and I came out really long and skinny.

Did anyone else's mother have this disorder? I'm going to look up more specifically to see what it's called, but I also know that it's a random thing... any given woman might even have this problem during one pregnancy and not another.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has a history of digestion issues, or if they had an abnormal birth weight.

Maybe we're predestined in the WOMB to have acne!

What do you all think?

i too am thin, therfore is there anyway to fix the digestion and kill two birds with one stone, stop being so thin and stop getting acne..

There could be a correlation..not real sure though. I've seen tons of overweight people with acne. I myself have always had trouble gaining weight...I'm usually underweight, but I've been tiny my entire life, so it's possible. What do you mean by digestion problems?

When you improve your digestion, you will not only improve your acne, but also improve your ability to gain weight. When I had acne I was about 140 lbs. and now I'm about 165 lbs. at 5'11"

Improving your digestion is all about 2 things:

1. Eat foods that are easy to digest.

2. Improve your body's natural ability to digest all foods.

I could (and plan to) write an entire article on this subject, but here are a few quick tips to help you accomplish those two goals:

- Avoid pasteurized dairy and all grains

- Take probiotics

- Eat as much of your food raw as possible

This post has been brought up before. But I find it very interesting because I have always been thin and had trouble gaining weight.

Although I think the problem was not getting enough nutrients, since I lived off junk food. My digestion was horrible, but for almost a year now I have been eating rather healthy and my digestion is almost completely regular now.

I believe my acne has a lot to do with what I eat. If my diet is mainly filled with raw veggies, fruits etc. my skin looks amazing. I can add a sweet here and there and be fine as long as the majority is healthy. Yet eating this way has completely improved my digestion so you may be on to something there.

I am going to whole foods tomorrow, I think im going to pick up a good probiotic and some more triphala :D

I think acne is caused by a problem with being able to metabolize certain fats.

Since I started taking fish oil my acne is pretty much gone. I don't know if it's solely because of it, or because I'm taking zinc too, or because I'm 19 and getting over it, but 'm pretty sure fish oil played a part in it. I wish I started taking it sooner.

And whoever said fats have estrogen is wrong. If anything a diet high in fat promotes high testosterone levels.

yep, i can eat tons and never gain weight. but i don't know how much that has to do with acne. there are plenty of thin people without acne and plenty of fat people with acne.

I don't buy into this correlation. I've seen lean people with acne, and larger people with acne. Neither type in my observations seemed to have a greater percentage of acne than the other.

I had acne when I was 110 pounds and at 160 pounds now, I still have acne. Not as much as before but I'm also older now. I eat more healthy then I did before so I also do not buy into this correlation.

Do you guys think that underweight people are generally not physically active and lead sedentary lifestyles?

Right now I think that not getting enough exercise is strongly connected to acne. Being active should at least eliminate the whole insulin issue.

and for the acne link

If that's true how come acne only comes during and after puberty... and for most people goes after puberty? If acne was a digestion problem then why does it only happen after puberty? I'm not really sure I should be asking you this question as your not my doctor.

I REALLY don't think it's related... How could that be?? There are not scientific prooves..

And mind you, I've got trouble losing weight...and I'm here..

If that's true how come acne only comes during and after puberty... and for most people goes after puberty? If acne was a digestion problem then why does it only happen after puberty?

Honestly, I don't know for sure why some people get acne during puberty most. It's interesting because some people have absolutely no acne during puberty, and then start to get it during their late 20s or 30s. So acne certainly is not CAUSED by puberty, but puberty definitely affects it. Here's my current theory:

During puberty your hormones are altered in such a way that exacerbates any kind of inflammation you have on your skin. If you are eliminating toxins through your skin (due to undigested food in your gut) and you enter puberty, the inflammation on your skin will become much more noticeable, making your acne very prominent.

I'd bet money that 99% of the people who say 'I just can't gain weight' really just don't have any clue as to how much food they really eat.

Record everything you eat at a site like www.fitday.com and I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are saying 'I'm 145 lbs and can't gain any weight' are eating well under 2200 calories.

I was the same way 'I eat so much! I can eat anything I want' - Hell, I'd eat half of a frozen pizza for breakfast! And I was still not eating nearly enough to gain weight....but it was never an issue of my digestive track not working; it was an issue of me not eating enough food.

I'd bet money that 99% of the people who say 'I just can't gain weight' really just don't have any clue as to how much food they really eat.

Record everything you eat at a site like www.fitday.com and I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are saying 'I'm 145 lbs and can't gain any weight' are eating well under 2200 calories.

I was the same way 'I eat so much! I can eat anything I want' - Hell, I'd eat half of a frozen pizza for breakfast! And I was still not eating nearly enough to gain weight....but it was never an issue of my digestive track not working; it was an issue of me not eating enough food.

Great post, I agree 100 percent.

For me, I had to eat 4000 calories a day to hit 160 pounds.

If you are stuggling gaining weight by eating tons of food, and it's not working, why not try cutting way back on your exercise? :think: This should help you gain weight. I would be more concerened as to if you are taking multi vitamins or not rather then if you are underweight or overweight. Studies have shown certain Vitamins and Mineral deficiencies are a main cause of Acne. :popcorn:

Sorry if I offended you-

I just meant that so many of the posters on this site come from the countries especially famous for their obesity problems, and yet few of us (apparently) are obese!

But a lot of countries have obesity problems; they just aren't so played up in the media.

And regardless of nationality, our site *seems* to have an especially high proportion of lean or even underweight posters!

We do have a kind of unrepresentative sample though- people who own/have a lot of access to computers, and especially care about their acne. Does that mean the people on our site tend to be wealthier? More superficial? More proactive? More energetic? I don't know.... weight relates to all these things, as well as physical health, etc. I just wanted to start a discussion :whistle: