Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unhappycamper

Do I tell my derm. about taping, vinegar, peels, etc?

I haven't seen my dermatologist in over 6 months and I have an appointment in a few weeks. Since I've seen him last, I've been doing the lactic peels, taping & vinegar and have seen great improvement. Do you think I should tell him? I'm worried about getting criticized for doing "unconventional" treatments.

It's entirely up to you. It depends on whether or not you care about his true opinion. If you really don't care, then I see no reason to tell him.

Unhappycamper,

I wouldn't. Given your success, at your next visit they would probably have a kit for sale which includes tape, vinegar, and lactic acid peels with a spiffy price tag on it. :-$

My best!

Anna

it amazes me how people could spend money on a doctor and not feel comfortable enough to discuss different options/treatments and ask the doc's advice

Tell him. If he doesn't know what else your skin's going through, he could recommend something that's too irritating.... and if you're thinking about surgery or laser, you gotta tell him. The worst he can do is turn up his nose right?(and if he does that, find another doc) but he could end up being really supportive too. You don't know until you try.

I think you should still tell the derm. I feel hesitant about telling my derm that I've been using mandelic acid for some weird reason. It feels like that I'm doing things without her advising me on which products. But I think derms should understand why you would want to try things on your own. I mean, I'm not just going to sit around and do nothing for my scars until my next appointment in 2 months, right? biggrin.gif