Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, I'm just wondering what the effects of toothpaste have on acne?

My sister has used toothpaste on her acne and says it has helped reduce the size of the zits on her face. I have tried it for the past few days and let it sit for a while. It makes my skin feel like its burning but seems to help.. By the time I am up the next morning they had reduced in size quite a bit.

so my question is whether anyone here does this reguarly?

i used to do this on some nights. i hear its not good for your skin..thats what someone said on here anyway... so really i dont know. it did seem to help a LIL bit.. but now if i have a icky big one that hurts i spot treat it w/ Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. if i put that on a big ol pimple at night the size is smaller in the morning..for me anyways!

o ya..........and it was hard for me to sleep w/ toothpaste on my pimples b/c it stunk and made em itchy.

HI! funny, i heard the same thing (around the time i just started trying to fix my skin, i was pretty oblivious to skincare at the time), From my sister who coincidently dosent have acne. just a zit every few months.. so in my own experiment i did a little research, and learned that toothpaste isnt necissaritly any better than BP, but is similar as it drys out your blemish. They also say, that if youre going to use toothpaste, it should be a white paste or green w/e, but NOT the gel. but all in all in my own opinion, is stick with BP instead, because BP helps by sending oxygen into your pore( oxygen is what kills all the dirt oil and bacteria inside the blemish to heal it) as well as drying it out... i hope i was some help, GOOD LUCK, and im just positvie with a little research on the org, you'll be on your way to clear skin! also have you done a little research on the DKR? i would reccomend it!

if i remember right..toothpaste made my pimples kinda like crusty...uno how ur pimple can get real dry or something and its kinda crusty....haha..i dont know if that made ANY sense!! :lol:

HI! funny, i heard the same thing (around the time i just started trying to fix my skin, i was pretty oblivious to skincare at the time), From my sister who coincidently dosent have acne. just a zit every few months.. so in my own experiment i did a little research, and learned that toothpaste isnt necissaritly any better than BP, but is similar as it drys out your blemish. They also say, that if youre going to use toothpaste, it should be a white paste or green w/e, but NOT the gel. but all in all in my own opinion, is stick with BP instead, because BP helps by sending oxygen into your pore( oxygen is what kills all the dirt oil and bacteria inside the blemish to heal it) as well as drying it out... i hope i was some help, GOOD LUCK, and im just positvie with a little research on the org, you'll be on your way to clear skin! also have you done a little research on the DKR? i would reccomend it!

I have read up on it a little bit and am considering trying it, but looking at the video examples and such it seems that it is really expensive to keep that up everyday, and I don't exactly have the money.. This is really only a problem that has hit me recently, went through my teens without any problems and once i turned 20 my skin has been terrible, but not so bad that I'm afraid to go out... yet. I have been using the Neutrogena acne wash in the morning and late afternoon, and toothpaste at night for about a week. I'm pretty much willing to try anything... Thanks for your suggestion :)

Toothpaste is very irritating for the skin (as can be felt by the burning or tingling sensation upon application) and belongs on the teeth. Irritation damages the skin, which can lead to more breakouts.

In addition, fluoride may trigger breakouts in some people, an ingredient most toothpastes contain.

I have used Toothpaste, it did nothing.

I think it only works on people who normally dont suffer from spots anyway and the effect would have been the same regardless.

Toothpaste, seems to only aggrivate and not help in anyway shape or form.

Use benzyl peroxide, this is amazing for spots especcially light break outs.

I've tried this before... told myself I'd just do my two big pimples... then the three next biggest... then went on to the smaller ones... then the red marks...

when I was done, my whole face was covered in toothpaste - and it did nothing :lol:

Toothpaste is meant for teeth.

If you want to dry out spots, try Mario Badescu's (sp, I'm sure, lol) pink drying lotion. Its a lot better for your skin.

do NOT ever use toothpaste on your face!!!!! it will make it red, blotchy and it will look much worse than a pimple. when i used it, i woke up the next morning with a big reddish scab on my face...its the worst possible thing to use!! :naughty:

it is okay to spot treat with tooth paste. it did reduce the size...but MAKE SURE IT IS CREST ORIGINAL PASTE only!!! no baking soda or whitening! that will burn your skin!

I would not suggest using tooth-paste on your face. If you want something more effective with less risk just put some baking soda in your hand with a few drops of water and apply to your spots for 30 min(I do 30 min anyways).

Good luck.

I would neverdo this. I think it's called "Tooth"paste for a reason... To stay on the tooth area?

As I said, it was my sister who suggested it to me... I realize it is unconventional.

Thank you all for the advise, it means alot to me... I won't be using toothpaste anymore.

i tryed it.

but i only left it on for about an hour and a half because of the horror storys ive heard about people getting blisters.

and it deffinitly worked a bit.

:D

You have to attack acne where it starts, with your diet. For me, diet was the cause and solution. Topical medications fight the symptoms. Start by eliminating trans fats and eating more fruits and vegetables. Once you start cleaning up the inside of your body, by eating properly, the outside of your body (your skin) will be get cleaned up too. I started a website to document my problem and solution.

http://www.fredstown.com/acne.html

You might find it helpful to read my story. Just remember to eat an all natural/organic diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from processed foods. Use mild, all natural cleansers and don't pick at your face. Get lots of sleep and enough water for your body weight. Remember, clean body = clean skin. While you're waiting for your skin to clear, remind yourself that acne is a challenge that you will overcome soon. Once you're rid of it, tell all your friends how you did it. That's what I'm doing. God Bless.

http://www.fredstown.com/acne.html