Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After reading a few posts around here about BP promoting premature aging, I thought I'd do a quick search... I came across the following:

Benzoyl Peroxide and Premature Skin Aging: Benzoyl peroxide creates free radicals in the skin and is known to cause premature skin aging, just like repeated sun exposure or persistent acne. Damage is determined by the concentration of benzoyl peroxide and the frequency of use*. It has also been associated with increased risks of skin cancer. In 1995 the FDA issued warnings regarding the use of benzoyl peroxide and changed its status from safe to uncertain. For these reasons Skintactix does not use benzoyl peroxide or any other ingredient that might damage or prematurely age the skin. (See the Acne Tips and Benzoyl Peroxide Skin Damage pages for additional information.)

http://www.skintactix.com/adult_acne.htm - (the above from this site)

What do you think?

* And we use it twice per day and a LOT of it!!

I dont know what to think... :wacko::confused:

Also there was this:

Benzoyl Peroxide Cautions: Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, are both the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Because BP generates free radicals it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when BP is a regular part of the daily regimen.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice..."

Additionally the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. Many manufacturers and product marketers have not provided this information so consumers can be advised of the potential dangers. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered in making decisions on acne treatment. Skintactix has given particular attention to providing effective treatment with no side effects and no benzoyl peroxide.

FDA / Benzoyl Peroxide Action: February 17, 1995

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Department of Health and Human Services

"Topical Drug Products Containing Benzoyl Peroxide: Required Labeling"

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne..."

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status. This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters. To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks). Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. These studies are currently being conducted. The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety.â€

This is according to Wikipedia.....

"When applied to skin benzoyl peroxide has been shown to induce cancer, but only when used at 100% concentrations; it has not been shown to do this at the far lower concentrations used for treating acne, and at lower concentrations benzoyl peroxide has been found not to be mutagenic or carcinogenic."

So if Wikipedia tells the truth.....we have nothing to worry about in terms of cancer.

"Benzoyl peroxide removes the top layer of skin, which also decreases the sun protective effect (roughly SPF 3). This can cause sunburn and premature aging if sun protection is not worn. If sun protection is used, benzoyl peroxide has a similar effects to glycolic acid peels which are so-called anti-aging treatments."

Do the moisturizers we use count as sun protection? (for me, it's Cetaphil) If so, again, we don't have much to worry about. If not, it sounds like adding a non oily, non pore clogging moisturizer wouldn't be a bad idea if one is worried about prematuring aging.

Also, could the redness some people experience actually be sunburn as a result of the not-as-well protected skin?

never use Wikipedia as a source!! i learned this in college. ALL my teachers told me to never use it b/c people can change stuff on it.

Yeah I also came across the Wikipedia stuff but thought there wasn’t much point posting it as I too was told most of its edited by any random Joe.

The main reason I posted was because when I typed in benzoyl peroxide most of the information I found was very top heavy in the negative apartment! I just hope its all untrue~?!

So what do people think??! Just for my own piece of mind, is there anything to suggest the info above is completely false? Specifically regarding cancer? I noticed most of Dan’s quotes are from either before or the same date as official reports I found!? It’d be fucked if in 10/15 years times there’s a sudden outbreak of skin cancer! (or very old looking people! Haha :P )

Seriously though? Any thoughts?

I still Wikipedia to be pretty reliable, even though people have the power to edit based on content, they won't always end up doing that. Usually the vandalism at Wikipedia is centered around people completely destroying articles or writing blatant lies, not getting facts wrong. I would trust what Wikipedia says, and I do. The only thing that still concerns me is if whether or not the moisturizer can act as a sunscreen.