Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No, because fruit also has fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals to help the skin. So in most cases it's not going to cause acne unless you overeat it or are very sensitive to sugar. Also, fruit tends to be low to mid glycemic, as opposed to grains which are usually high glycemic, so in this case grains are more the enemy.

Fruit juice, however, is mostly sugar because the fiber has been stripped, and a good amount of the nutrients are gone due to pasteurization. Fruit juice is bad/inflammatory unless you make it yourself at home and leave in the fiber as in a smoothie.

No, because fruit also has fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals to help the skin. So in most cases it's not going to cause acne unless you overeat it or are very sensitive to sugar. Also, fruit tends to be low to mid glycemic, as opposed to grains which are usually high glycemic, so in this case grains are more the enemy.

Fruit juice, however, is mostly sugar because the fiber has been stripped, and a good amount of the nutrients are gone due to pasteurization. Fruit juice is bad/inflammatory unless you make it yourself at home and leave in the fiber as in a smoothie.

This makes no sense. Fruit juice and fruit have exactly the same amount of sugar. The only thing your pointing out, is fruit has more nutriants and other benefits, as opposed to fruit juice which is really nothing but sugar.

And yes, fruit is probably bad for acne, due to the sugar.

This makes no sense. Fruit juice and fruit have exactly the same amount of sugar. The only thing your pointing out, is fruit has more nutriants and other benefits, as opposed to fruit juice which is really nothing but sugar.

And yes, fruit is probably bad for acne, due to the sugar.

The glycemic indexes/loads of apple juice vs. apples, though, make a big difference.

Like I stated earlier, fruit is not bad for acne unless you are overly sensitive to it, or really overeat it as in eating 5 or 6 banannas, a few apples and a bundle of grapes. Also, if you had a candida problem, fruits would be a big no no.

It's not so simple as "X servings of ice cream has 20g sugar, and Y fruit has 20g sugar, therefore X=Y".

He guys and girls,

I think Ephemeral is just one of those 'Melbourne Bloke' type of people

So try to not pay as much attention to his post than others

I resent that. :D

What RS said is correct.

This makes no sense. Fruit juice and fruit have exactly the same amount of sugar.

It makes perfect sense.

Fruit juice is a concentrated form of the energy source of the fruit and is largely stripped of its nutrients.

The 'juice' is just there for energy, the actual plant material contains all of the nutrients, antioxidants, and so forth.

It's essentially like the difference between processed white bread and whole grain.

Also, in eating fruit, you're less likely to consume as many calories and sugar as you would if you merely drank the juice.

Maybe I'm inherently stupid, but I still don't understand.

Sugar is bad for acne. Antioxidants and nutrients may or may not be beneficial to acne.

I am positive that fruit juice and fruit have approximatley the same sugar content. Since sugar is the main thing that is detrimental to acne, and since fruit juice and fruit contain about the same sugar, therefore, fruit juice and fruit must be equally bad for acne.

Lets look at it this way, when people eat largeish fruits like apples or oranges, they usually munch on 1 or 2, which could maybe make a quarter or half a glass of juice at most. 1 or 2 probably isn't going to wreck the face.

Problem is people don't drink a quarter or a half glass of juice. They drink 2, 3, 5 glasses, or maybe the whole bottle of juice. This is about the same as overeating a dozen or more of fruit each day. So that means more sugar. So thats bad.

What RS said is correct.

This makes no sense. Fruit juice and fruit have exactly the same amount of sugar.

It makes perfect sense.

Fruit juice is a concentrated form of the energy source of the fruit and is largely stripped of its nutrients.

The 'juice' is just there for energy, the actual plant material contains all of the nutrients, antioxidants, and so forth.

It's essentially like the difference between processed white bread and whole grain.

Also, in eating fruit, you're less likely to consume as many calories and sugar as you would if you merely drank the juice.

Sugar is bad for acne.

This is your semantic mistake

Sugar (monosaccarides) is not bad for acne, in fact it is not bad for anything

Sugar is "neutral"

What you call "sugar" and identify as "bad for acne" is actually "fast raising blood sugar"

So what really is bad for acne is not saccarides but the way they are metabolized by your body

Metabolization is what allow sugar to slowly enter in the cell to be oxidized or meet the resistance of the cells and build up in the blood stream raising your BG's and triggering an hormonal cascade

In nature monosaccarides are found in a package of soluble and insoluble fibers, water and other nutrients. This allows a greater sugar tolerance as the sugar is being metabolized.

When monosaccarides are either processed or extracted from foods they miss the package that allows an awareness of the glycemic load coming from the foods from the body part. The sugar therefore rushes throught the body without any considerable volume (processed sugar = concentrated sugar in a minimal volume) and quickly raises insulin and glycemia, when this happens in such an uncontrolled way the cells limits their sugar uptake by downregulating the insulin receptors and become resistant to the sugar which is free to increase even more the BG's

I am positive that fruit juice and fruit have approximatley the same sugar content. Since sugar is the main thing that is detrimental to acne,

Not sugar but metabolization of monosaccarides that quickly raises the BGs and makes cells resistant. The metabolization depends on a lot of things, what you eat with them, the water content, the volume vs. calories ... but extracting the monosaccarides out of their fibrous and bulky "packages" is what most negatively influence the metabolization of monosaccarides

Sugar is bad for acne. Antioxidants and nutrients may or may not be beneficial to acne.

I am positive that fruit juice and fruit have approximatley the same sugar content. Since sugar is the main thing that is detrimental to acne, and since fruit juice and fruit contain about the same sugar, therefore, fruit juice and fruit must be equally bad for acne.

Ephemeral - I can understand why this might be confusing at first - no worries. :) Ok, basically, fruit juice is highly concentrated, because all the pulp has been stripped out. So, 1 cup of apple juice will have a whole lot more sugar than 1 cup of cut up apples, because the apple still has lots of fiber in it, which therefore means, if you were to "only" take out the "juice" of that one cup of apple, you might end up with maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of juice (just estimating here). Does that make sense? So, the 1 cup of apple juice = 1 cup of apple juice, but the one cup of fresh apple = 1/4- 1/2 cup of juice + the fiber, which gives it an even lower glycemic index.

For a great article that explains this in more detail, click here: WHFoods: How does fruit juice compare to whole fruit?

Hope this helps. :) Oh, and to answer the first question, I think fruit is great for acne!! I use it in my green smoothies everyday, which I attribute to having cleared my skin. For me, apple and leafy greens = acne free skin. :)

Fruit juice is absorbed instantly, spiking your insulin, creating body fat. Fruit has fiber to slow down the absorption, making it not spike insulin or create body fat.

Fruit juice is absorbed instantly, spiking your insulin, creating body fat. Fruit has fiber to slow down the absorption, making it not spike insulin or create body fat.

I know I'm a picky bastard but ... different levels of insulin have very little effect on storage of dietary fat or liposis from carbs. Calories and a triggering molecule seem to be the only real factors in fat storage. It really seems that from a clinical physiological point of view a calories is a calories is a calorie

People yes all fruit has it's own natural sugar and most are very low in how they spike your blood sugar. You should definitely avoid processed foods that use table sugar b/c just a spoonful of that stuff can really send your blood sugar up. Apples, pears, cantaloupe, and especially all berries (blueberries are the best) are all full of antioxidants yet low sugar so munch on em all the time just don't go downing too much b/c also a lot of fiber which will make you run to the bathroom quick haha. I have been doing fruit smoothies lately in the past month and my skin has greatly improved, maybe yall should try it out...mixed some cantaloupe, frozen berries, low sugar fruit juice or water, olive oil, and blend it all...i've been hearing of the green smoothie as well and i'm sure that will work well too...Try it out, hope it helps!!

I have been doing fruit smoothies lately in the past month and my skin has greatly improved, maybe yall should try it out...mixed some cantaloupe, frozen berries, low sugar fruit juice or water, olive oil, and blend it all

Is that okay to mix olive oil with fruits? I know you should eat fruits on their own for the ultimate digestion, but I suppose a smoothie is easier to digest since its already mashed up.

Personally this topic makes me laugh, simply because what exactly are you supposed to eat?

I eat fruit and veg to help stop my acne, and improve my skin, and it works most of the time.

I eat 4-5 apples a day, plus many other fruits and veg, and it makes a positive difference most of the time.

Whilst at first I was very keen to learn about acne and diet, I have since found that theres a fair bit of margin for error.

during my time on my anti acne diet It was my birthday and I broke th diet, ate cakes, fatty foods, everything and the difference in my skin was marginal if anything.

Whilst I dont wish to turn this into the beaten path subject of does diet actually matter, the fact people are now argueing over whether fruit(one of the best things for acne) can flare them up, is a sign we are now taking it too far.

-Rob

Is fruit just full of sugar?

therefore shouldn't it = acne?

Its best to have ONE piece of fruit at one sitting and balance it with some protein (slice of turkey/cheese, handful nuts etc). Eat every 3 hours at least if possible and always balance with protein and fat (mainly polyunsaturated - omega 3 :D ) use olive oil for cooking and try your best to de-stress. (easier said than done i know :) lol )

Fruit has loads of minerals and nutrients, the best fruit you could eat would be pears, oranges, apples and blackberries/strawberries - if you look at this here : http://www.holfordhealth.com/c/tools_glycemic.asp#gi it gives you a guide to foods and how they affect your blood sugar. Look at the total glycemic load of each meal you eat and see if it falls below 10 (look at the link and you will see what i mean) and see why some fruits are better than others.

Hope I helped ;)