Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mara89

parents and their thoughts about acne

So i woke up the other day and the first thing I hear, instead of the classical "Good Morning", was my dad saying:

"You're getting a lot of pimples, Marisa, I've told you NOT to touch your face"

this isnt the first time he says this, so I was like

"Take me to a derm then!"

I know he can't afford one atm, he didn't say anything else and left the room.

I felt bad the rest of the day, but he got on my nerves... :cry:

So i woke up the other day and the first thing I hear, instead of the classical "Good Morning", was my dad saying:

aww...id feel sort of bad too, but its not like what he said wasnt warranting some sort of angry reaction. Parents can be realy naive about this stuff, so the best thing to do is just educate them; tell him its not always face-touching that causes acne.

my parents just dont have a clue. they dont understand why i get so upset.

Same here. They keep saying "Oh but Jaymi you're beautiful" and that pisses me off more than anything in the world. They're so fucking biased.

I'm sorry Marisa, I had an awful day as well :(

My oldest sister and I received our cases of acne from our father. He had it growing up. He said that he just "let it go."

Yeah, I've... "let this go"... for years now.

I'm fuckin' sick of "letting it go."

He also says that our cases of acne grew worse because we were living out in the country. What a crock of shit.

Guest T-Virus

My Dad always gets angry at me if he thinks I have been squeezing them. But whenever he gets one he will squeeze it to no end :mad: And for some reason he thinks that it will magically go away if I just leave it alone and do nothing. Whenever I get a bad breakout, he tells me to stop putting so many chemicals on my face when I haven't been using anything at all :eh: Then when I use something and it works, he will tell me to keep using it. And if I stop using a certain product, he will ask me why I've stopped using it :doh:

i'm sorry that happened to you..lots of parents don't understand how acne effects people.

at least if my kids ever get it i'll be totally understanding and i'll do whatever i can to help out.

I have sort of the opposite problem.

They tell me I'm a pretty girl (and start comparing me to a lot of other girls we know o.O), and say: "Og well, Rikke, the other day I just met "someone", and she said: "Oh, Rikke has always been such an adorable girl!" and she's right, cos..." on and on. I kinda makes me feel bad, cos I REALLY don't see myself as particularly pretty :confused:

Oh, and my mum asked me yesterday, if I was gonnaa get a haircut before christmas. I answered no, and then she asked why. "You know why..." I said, but she claimed she didn't.

"Well, if you think hard, you know why!" and then she was just like: "Orrh.." like in a really and-so-what-you're-just-overreacting way. I may be, but the thought of show my scars and my skin to THE WORLD when my hair is put up by the hairdresser, is just more than I can take... And what if she sprayed water on my face?! What if my make-up ran off! *Disaster!*

So yeah, they can be pretty much pain, but at least my parents are doing what they can to help me. Just hard when they don't know what it's like...

aww :comfort: I'm sorry to hear that their comments make you feel bad, it's kind of sad because they want to make us feel better, but they hurt us.

My mom used to look at me and the just start crying. "Oh You USED to be so beautiful when you had clear skin but it's all your fault now. You keep touching it and putting all these chemicals on your face that's why you have acne"...continues to cry. She BLAMES ME for having acne. Oh my favorite one was when she said to me "Isabel, go put on some make up...you really look horrible today" but I was already wearing makeup!!

2 years back, my elder cousin sis (childhood playmate) saw me one day. And said my hair ruined my face with acne (because i was covering up my face with my hair) and said it was a total waste. But the problem doesn't lay in my hair. But my skin. Jeez. My case is genetic. She is lucky, there is no acne case in her family.

My younger cousin sis (13) whom i met the 1st time in life last June overseas, said right in front of everyone else that i was really pretty. I was so guilty because i got acne. And no i wasn't covering up with makeups or whatnot. She saw me for me. But it was just really weird. She just went on saying i was beautiful and stuffs. And i finally couldn't stand her, and told her "Nooo. Acne got me. scars, red marks, holes are on my face ..."

She: No, that doesn't matter. You are pretty. That's what matters!

Probably some naive thought, but she is really a sincere person. She just speaks about what she felt.

Anyhow, it was really comforting :shifty: although it pisses me off "you're pretty...even with those scars!" asdfgjkl;']pwqzx./

My parents used to make comments too. Like we don't notice what's going on with our skin, they have to spell it out for us. They also make it seem like they know what they're talking about. It's funny some of the stuff they'd say about my acne, like they're an expert in the field or something. I guarentee I know more about acne than either of them, but they always had something new to say about it.

My two girls have slight cases of acne. The older one is in college and she is stressed out right now about finals and stuff and she has a little more zits than usual, the younger one has several large zits at any one given time, I usually have zits on my neck but few on my face, so we encourage each other and try to support the other when a bad break out happens. Neither one has mentioned the derm but having had this crap since my teens I know what they go through. I don't ever make any stupid comments about their skin because I feel the same. I seem to be the only one in the family who has this stuff, my sis doesn't even say anything to me nor does my hubby, and if one of then asked to go to the derm I would take them in a heartbeat! I have even asked them and they both say its not that bad just a rough spot they are going through.

I know how you are feeling!

Everytime I have a breakout, I avoid going out to see my family - so I dont see them for weeks and weeks sometimes. Mainly its all due to my mum and everytime I go around there it is "are you taking your tablets (meaning anti-biotics)?, come back live here so I can see what you are eating, what do you wash your face with!"

It drives me mad, and gets on my nerves. I just wish people wouldnt judge you by your looks too!

whenever i bitch about my acne..my dad always says laura, dont stress....everyone gets it"! how wrong could he be tho..i hate it when people have the "all teenagers get acne" attitude! argh!

im lucky my dad never says anything to me about my skin. my mom is obsessed about looking good, so she says stuff when my skin gets bad. its funny cause she has dentures, wears wigs, and is obese or close to it. i never say anything bad about her, it just frustrates me and amazes me how she can so those things.

ps i've never seen her real hair ever! i ask her if i can and she yells at me rofl.

im lucky my dad never says anything to me about my skin. my mom is obsessed about looking good, so she says stuff when my skin gets bad. its funny cause she has dentures, wears wigs, and is obese or close to it. i never say anything bad about her, it just frustrates me and amazes me how she can so those things.

ps i've never seen her real hair ever! i ask her if i can and she yells at me rofl.

Lol thanks for making me laugh! (in a good way)

gr8 post..my dad dosent give a shit bout my acne..he tells me that i am obsessing over my acne coz ..i've been spoilt and pampered all my life!!!..(thats wat he thinks :wall: )..he tells me that if i were a kid who wasnt from a family that's well off..i wudnt be givin a damn bout acne..my dad didnt give a shit bout it though..and he's a succesful person..really social..so he keeps tellin me ..to just forget bout it..he goes mad if i tell him i wanna visit a derm..for him somethin like acne is so damn trivial..always tells me that there's much more to life than acne..but for me and like many here..we need to get rid of this shit get our life kickin rite?..i wish i could think like dad...mom on the other hand ..hardly had acne..excellent skin..so if i went up to her with this problem..she just dosent understan!!..my brother has acne..but he just dosent give a shit bout it..very social..has a gurl....sometimes i wish they understood me better..dont know why but acne bothers me a lot..even if its mild

my mom tells me to "get over it"

my dad humiliates me ( infront of my bf ) and goes on and on about how having bad skin in nothing compared to other people's problems. he says I'm superficial. makes me feel awesome! :rolleyes: Throws my mirror and says that's my problem. lol if It didn't make me so upset at the time I guess it could be somewhat humourous :doubt: Then sometimes he will get all in my face and yell at me and mock me. Apparently my skin is the BEST it will ever be. And he's convinced i will suffer from it my whole life so I might as well just "live" with it. He just doesnt GET how it makes you feel. How much it destroys any confidence, self-worth you have.

When I was a teenager my dad told me to stop eating chocolate & my skin might improve. That just goes to show how little he knows me cuz I rarely eat chocolate. I dont like chocolate very much, & I only like dark chocolate (which is better for you) when I do eat it.

My mom has always been more sympathetic. She would buy me whatever I wanted for my skin, except not the derm cuz we had no health insurance.

My mom used to look at me and the just start crying. "Oh You USED to be so beautiful when you had clear skin but it's all your fault now. You keep touching it and putting all these chemicals on your face that's why you have acne"...continues to cry. She BLAMES ME for having acne. Oh my favorite one was when she said to me "Isabel, go put on some make up...you really look horrible today" but I was already wearing makeup!!

I'm sorry but your Mom sucks.

I'm really sorry she would say such horrible things to her own kid!