Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ephemeral

"X and Y" made me brake out!

On these boards, I see a lot of people say that one particular food item, or vitamin made them brake out. But this seems impossible to me, because a pimple takes months to form.

For example: "I ate a kiwi, and the next day I broke out!"

It would seem self evident to me, that eating a kiwi could not have such an immidiate effect on the skin. You would need to eat kiwi's for 3 months, and then deterrmine what effect they had on your skin.

Thus, you cannot possibley know how something effects your skin until you have exposed yourself to it for long amounts of time.

Months for a pimple to form, a matter of days before the inflammatory contrinuting factor (such as food, stress, lack of sleep) causes a pimple to come out. We've been through this a lot lately.

Thus, your theory is wrong because you have left out a very important thing (the inflammatory contributing factor) in it

Months for a pimple to form, a matter of days before the inflammatory contrinuting factor (such as food, stress, lack of sleep) causes a pimple to come out. We've been through this a lot lately.

Thus, your theory is wrong because you have left out a very important thing (the inflammatory contributing factor) in it

If the pimple has already been formed, then it will emerge eventually, regardless of the "inflammatory contributing factor".

Unless your saying that the pimple will exist beneath the skin in "limbo", and never come out unless dietary influences are brought into hte picture.

It takes two to three weeks for them to form. As the plug reaches the surface it becomes irritated and becomes inflammed. However RS is correct, your skin can have an inflammatory response to certain foods if you are senstive to them. Sugar for example is a common culprit. Most people with acneic skin have glucose intolerant skin. I always tell my clients to limit dairy, sugar, and wheat.

People with food allergies can have mild to very severe reactions within minutes of ingesting or coming in contact with this or that allergen. However, that doesn't mean that everyone sufferring from this condition has an allergy to something. For example, dairy and wheat are probably not the best food groups to build your diet around, but most people will not develop visible symptoms after eating them.

The people who want to watch out for food are people with multiple allergy conditions (i.e., asthma, eczema, migraines).

Sorry to highjack this thread again, but can someone explain to me why other cultures dont' experience acne. For example, there has never ever been a reported eskimo with acne. Additionally, it is almost indisputable that people from other cultures, and third world countries rarely have acne (all though there is a few).

Is this genetic? related to diet?

Sorry to highjack this thread again, but can someone explain to me why other cultures dont' experience acne. For example, there has never ever been a reported eskimo with acne. Additionally, it is almost indisputable that people from other cultures, and third world countries rarely have acne (all though there is a few).

Is this genetic? related to diet?

It's related to diet. When those cultures come into America and eat our processed foods, they get acne and a host of other diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. This can be seen through the Eskimo's developing health problems after eating the American diet for 15 years, that's one example.

But acne itself is from a variety of factors, being genetic, dietary, environment, stress related, sleep related, internal body makeup, candida, etc. The whole "sebum meets dead skin and the bacteria eat away to cause inflammation" thing is simply the superficial tip of the iceberg, and the "hormones cause acne" is an incomplete hypothesis as well.

If the pimple has already been formed, then it will emerge eventually, regardless of the "inflammatory contributing factor".

Unless your saying that the pimple will exist beneath the skin in "limbo", and never come out unless dietary influences are brought into hte picture.

No, because the inflammatory factor puts into stage future pimples forming as well, atleast I believe... I'm not 100 percent on that, Sweetjade knows more about this then me.

P.S. Limbo is an outdated term :)

...the "hormones cause acne" is an incomplete hypothesis as well.

How is it incomplete? When you were a little kid, you didn't have acne. As soon as you hit puberty, and your hormones went crazy, thats when you get acne! It would seem that hormones are the relevant difference between people who have acne and people who do not.

How is it incomplete? When you were a little kid, you didn't have acne. As soon as you hit puberty, and your hormones went crazy, thats when you get acne! It would seem that hormones are the relevant difference between people who have acne and people who do not.

There are a variety of things happening between childhood and adulthood that do not involve sex hormones.

One flaw in the theory is that all weight trainers would have severe acne that occured proportionally to how much they trained. I think the hormonal issue encompasses females moreso then males, like premenstrual acne and acne related to birth control.

One flaw in the theory is that all weight trainers would have severe acne that occured proportionally to how much they trained. I think the hormonal issue encompasses females moreso then males, like premenstrual acne and acne related to birth control.

What else changes around puberty besides hormones that would induse acne?

But this seems impossible to me, because a pimple takes months to form.

Right away R.S pointed out that it can take a very short amount of time for a pimple to become inflamed.

Also I personally think a pimple can form within a few days, a few months is a hugely exaggerated IMO

If you want some answers as to why certain foods cause acne and why some cultures do not experience it, read the paleo diet book, The Dietary Cure for Acne. It costs $19.99

It has worked well for me and others so far.... but only time will tell if this is the real culprit.

All weight trainers don't have acne. What are you talking about?

I'm training as hard as ever and I can tell you it didn't give me acne as a result and my test levels are probobly elevated because of lifting.

I think it has something to do with the liver not being able to handle certain fats properly.

It's unclear to say hormones cause acne because it's possible for someone can take synthetic testosterone to bump his levels say 4 times and still not get one pimple.

Also I think it takes a couple of days not weeks for a pimple to form and surface. But I'm not too sure about that.

All weight trainers don't have acne. What are you talking about?

I'm training as hard as ever and I can tell you it didn't give me acne as a result and my test levels are probobly elevated because of lifting.

I think it has something to do with the liver not being able to handle certain fats properly.

It's unclear to say hormones cause acne because it's possible for someone can take synthetic testosterone to bump his levels say 4 times and still not get one pimple.

Also I think it takes a couple of days not weeks for a pimple to form and surface. But I'm not too sure about that.

Reread my post. I said IF the hormone acne relation was completely true, THEN all weight trainers would have acne, more acne for however much more serious they are about training. It was a hypothetical statement, and it was used in part to debunk the theory.

On these boards, I see a lot of people say that one particular food item, or vitamin made them brake out. But this seems impossible to me, because a pimple takes months to form.

For example: "I ate a kiwi, and the next day I broke out!"

It would seem self evident to me, that eating a kiwi could not have such an immidiate effect on the skin. You would need to eat kiwi's for 3 months, and then deterrmine what effect they had on your skin.

Thus, you cannot possibley know how something effects your skin until you have exposed yourself to it for long amounts of time.

You can know, have you heard the word allergy before?