Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I am 24 years old and have at times (especially in the winter) severe body acne. My face used to be bad until I was about 19 or 20 and I grew out of it. I figured I would grow out of the persistent cystic acne on my back and chest but I never have. I went to the dermatologist last week to get my rosacea evaluated on my face and she recommended accutane for my back and chest. Since I have tried virtually everything else in the past and she thinks if I do not do something about the body acne I could have it the rest of my life with scaring to go along with it. I had laser treatment for my rosacea on Monday which went pretty well, not too painful and it does look a little better already. I have another treatment on the 22nd but that is a whole other topic! Anyways, she recommends combining them, which she has done in the past with great results. I was prescribed 40mg twice a day with a plan of being on it for 4 months. Hopefully that will take care of it!

Day 1 – A normal day 1, I went out and bought all my moisturizers so I am ready to go.

Day 2 – Woke up a few times in the middle of the night with a very dry mouth, slight headache this morning but that could be from not enough sleep!

I am using the following daily routine:

Morning – Wash face with Cetaphil, body with Dove Sensitive Skin, moisterize with Cetaphil for the body when I get out of the shower and Sheer Moisture on the face. For the lips I will be using Blistex DCT (I love this stuff). Pills include 1000mg Vitamin C, 1000mg Vitamin E, 1000mg Fish Oil, 40mg Accutane.

Night - Wash face with Cetaphil, moisterize with Sheer Moisture on the face. Blistex DCT for the lips. 40mg of Accutane to cap it off

I am thinking about getting some emu oil to use on my face at night. Anyone use this with good results? I’ll update as much as possible to keep you guys posted, this site looks like it has been a big help to a lot of people!

Day 3 - Today I did notice a little dryness after the shower but I have very dry skin in general so that might not be from the medicine. I was very tired today till about noon and got some coffee in me so now I am good to go. My pores look gross today, it looks like they all are clogged with white stuff and my face feels very grainy. So far my lips are fine and during the day the only dryness I have is around my eyebrows where it is a little itchy. My mouth was not as dry last night, which was nice even though I had some water just in case. I do have slight pressure in my head today but not as bad as the previous two days. Thanks to everyone that has completed logs so far, it is nice to be able to read and see what to expect every day!

Day 4 - Wow, I really didn't think I was going to update this every day but I am at work and do not have anything else better to do :) My face feels very oily today, woke up and my lips were very tight and dry today but still smooth. I have applied blistex to them in the middle of the night the past few nights and I didn't last night. I might have a couple of new zits starting on my nose but nothing really visible yet, just a little pain. No headache today and I am pretty awake. It seems like I do itch a little more than normal and when I worked out last night I defiantly itched a lot. The oily skin really bothers me right now but I'm sure when it is dry and cracking I will want it back.

Day 5 - No new side effects to report today. I am actually feeling better than any day this week and I was able to sleep in a bit! I sat in a hot tub last night and put lotion on right after I got out so I locked the moisture in. No new pimples as of yet, lets hope it stays that way!

Day 6 - Lips are starting to get tighter and a bit dry. Nothing too bad though, feels like I ate something salty and chapped my lips. Took a nap today and woke up and my face was not very oily, that is something new for me. Ran a couple of miles (props to the 65 degree weather in Ohio middle of December) and the sweat was very itchy but went away about 15 minutes after the run.

Day 7 - Applying lots of chapstick, refusing to let my lips get dry even though I know that is probably impossible. Face is definitely less greasy than normal today. No unusual soreness after running yesterday and the fatigue I had last week in the morning was nonexistent.

Hey man, good luck with accutane. Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I'm just starting the second month which is when they say things are supposed to start getting better.

Hey man, good luck with accutane. Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I'm just starting the second month which is when they say things are supposed to start getting better.

Thanks for the good luck stepup, same to you. I read through your log prior to starting and it does sound like a very similar situation, it actually helped motivate me and make me realize I wasn't crazy. My friends thought I was crazy for going on accutane for body acne since it isn't visible in the face, but they really don't know how annoying it is to still have it at 24.

Day 8 - Feeling pretty good today, was able to get a good night sleep but I didn't get up this morning to run when I really needed to. O well, I'll workout tonight. Nothing new to report today, face not very oily and not dry which is a nice change. I have a painful zit at the end of my nose and a huge one on my neck. Also a few new ones on my chest and back but nothing unusual. It does seem like I am getting a slight headache at some point everyday, nothing bad just an annoying ache that goes away eventually. I go for another laser treatment for my rosacea on Friday, which will probably be my last till the accutane is over.

Thanks flowerburn!

Day 12 - Took a few day break from the forum, makes time go by a little quicker. I had my rosacea treated yesterday and it is making progress. Other than that I have not been having any new side effects. I haven't had a headache in a while and my skin isn't too dry. I have been applying different kinds of moisturizers on my lips and trying to find the perfect product for me. They are doing fine, no cracking yet. Acne on the back has got a little worse but it has always gone in cycles and when I started it looked pretty clear. I bought some Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer tonight, which is pretty nice. I bought it to hold me over till my Coribalm gets here so I can compare.

Day 15 - Today I feel fine, not looking any clearer yet and my skin is a little dry but manageable. The corner of my lip cracked today which is really just annoying, not really painful. I received my Cortibalm and it does work pretty well. It is a little sticky on the lips, which I am sure I will get used to, but it definitely is like aquaphor without the shinny look to it and more portability (nice for guys)