Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rue721

Gentle Regimen

So, I have mild acne, but have/tend to get red marks.

Since I was around 10 or 11 I started getting isolated mostly hormonal breakouts. After that, I usually had one or two pimples floating around, but my skin tone was good and there weren't any that just stuck around.

Still, these pimples bugged the hell out of me.

So, I started to use one of those shower poof things to wash my face every day in the shower (that one time a day was the only time I washed my face), and the exfoliation seemed to help my skin (when I didn't exfoliate every day for more than a few days, I broke out)... so I'm still doing it.

Friends recommended using Dove, and it seemed to improve my skin (fewer, milder pimples)... so, I'm still using it.

A couple years ago, when I was about 18 or 19, a friend gave my his old Clyosin (sp?). I used that instead of lotion, each morning after I washed my face. My skin was absolutely perfect.

Then, when school ended for the summer, he took the medicine back. And....

I got this weird rash/eczma thing on my cheeks. It went away after using hydrocortezone cream for a few days. But then, I got these other horrible pimples on the side of my face. Only two, but it sucked. I was also getting these weird days when one of my eyes would swell, but I think that was connected to an allergy to bug repellant (which I was smearing all over my face).

So, I broke out on and off for the rest of the year. I used this Clean & Clear astringent, and a Clean & Clear spot treatment (both w/ SA), and my skin was manageable, but not great.

Meanwhile, those two pimples from earlier in the summer had become red marks, then brown marks, then slowly receeded until they were two tiny black dots literally the size of pinpricks (they got to that point by last summer).

I was jogging every day, drinking TONS of water (the water is as usual), and I had a great, healthy glow. But, due to a new work schedule, I had to stop jogging. And all of a sudden I had THE WORST BREAKOUT OF MY LIFE.

It was horrible. It started with a surprising reappearence of the two pimples. God, that was a nightmare- they had been semi-plaguing me for over a year, and there they were again, worse than ever. The rest of my face continued to get worse, too, until I woke up one day and EVERY CENTIMETER of my face was sore and semi-swollen and red and probably contained a pimple. I was so upset that my MOM was upset FOR me.

Well, my skin rebounded from THAT lowpoint pretty fast, but suddenly I had this slotch of heavy red marks and acne on my cheek- it was about the size of a nickle, but it was BRIGHT. So, the rest of my face had pimples on and off, but I had this MONSTER on my cheek, right under the cheekbone.

Sometimes, it would receed a little only to get two more pimples the same day. The irony is that the rest of my face would be totally, completely clear, and looking really good. So frustrating, and SUCH a puzzle!

To top it off, I would hormonal acne like usual, and that started leaving brown or red splotches. So EVERY pimple I got left a mark.

I went to my Student Health Clinic, and the nurse got me Eurythromycin. Tried it for a month, and it didn't seem to do anything- my new pimples would clear up faster than usual, but I got at least as many as before, if not more of them.

Gave up, talked to the nurse again. She said she didn't understand my strange skin problem. I dropped the Eurythromycin, started putting Neosporin on my red marks, drinking ACV, and taking asperin to stop hormonal acne BEFORE it comes up.

So, the neosporin seems to be fading the marks, but I haven't been doing any of this long enough to say if it's great or not. I'm writing this blog for my own referance, mostly, to chronicle my use of these things to see how they're working. But I decided to do it on a public forum because I know a lot of you are trying to go natural, or to be gentler on your skin... so I thought it might be interesting.

Here's my daily schedule:

Morning:

Wash face with Dove bar soap in shower with exfoliating shower poof (along with the rest of my body)... let it air dry

Put Neosporin on red marks, and let it be absorbed.

Drink 1 tablespoon ACV

Afternoon:

Re-apply Neosporin, maybe wash face with Dove (using my hands only- no exfoliation)

Night:

Drink 1 tablespoon ACV

Wash face with Dove soap with hands... let it air dry

Soak cotton ball with one part ACV, two parts water and brush it over my face... let it air dry

Put Burt's Bees lotion on selected parts of my face (the parts that are especially dry AND not at all acne-prone)

Ok, I don't really expect many to read this first LONG LONG LONG post, but I hope the log itself will be helpful. And thanks to anyone who read this whole thing! :surprised:

Thanks for the tip!

I actually got the idea of using asperin from the aleve thread- I would like to be using Aleve instead, but for some reason my local grocery story doesn't stock it.... plus, I'm not sure exactly when to start taking it yet, because I haven't really been tracking when my pre-menstral breakout usually starts.... and I don't want to be taking Aleve for as many days staright as I'm comfortable taking generic asperin... We'll see how it goes! If the asperin works out, it would be good to know anyway, since it's probably a lot gentler than Aleve, and so maybe less dangerous. I'm taking one pill a day.

So, today I woke up and there was a strange development with my face.

I'd worn Neosporin all night, which I don't usually do.... but it seemed to be dulling the marks, so I decided, hell, why not.

Otherwise, I did everything the same- washed my face, put on ACV toner, had a second tablespoon of ACV last night during dinner.

And this morning, a couple of the spots where I'd applied the Neosporin looked better- one brown splotch I had is almost gone, and another that was a month or two old red spot had faded bit, so it looked more like a normal (tiny) cut.

But the monster on the side of my face..... it's now a big fuzzy cloud of red. It doesn't look like the aftermath of pimples anymore, really, but maybe more like eczma. The texture is differant- very slightly raised (I think- it's hard to see on the side of my face!) and smooth. The whole area is now a deep pink, and not the bright red spots on normal color background skin, like before. The same type of thing happened in the chin area, where I had a pimple a couple weeks ago.

Is this a good or bad sign?

Before I washed my face, it looked like the monster was scabbing over... I didn't exfoliate the area today, in the worry that I would take the scabs off, but I guess I did anyway.

Originially, after my shower I toned with ACV and put Neo. back on, but then was creeped out by it. I ended up washing it all off and just re-toning with the ACV.

Hmmmm. I just don't really know WHAT to think!

Ok, I'm worried about what my face is up to. I'm actually really annoyed at the world, because I have no way of getting aloe vera for at least another week, and it's frustrating, seeing how that seems like the most likely thing to help. I think in the meantime I'm really screwing up my face.

Last night we had ppl over and I got pretty drunk. Didn't drink so much water, and was woken up too early this morning. Because I was drunk last night, I didn't get my second Tbs of ACV, though I did wash my face and use diluted ACV as toner (and skipped any kind of lotion or cream).

This morning when I woke up, my cheek looked slightly better (maybe.... or maybe it's just the same) and the mark on my chin was just as bad. These are hideously bright, red blotches where a pimple or groups of pimples/red marks used to be.

I feel horrible. I've been cooped up in the apartment, because it's finals week and I'm supposed to be studying, and because, like usual, I'm embarrassed about my face. I WISH SOMETHING WOULD JUST WORK!

I'm so sick of all of this.

This was Day 1- the day I stopped Eurythromycin (my marks look a lot differant now... but I haven't been able to upload the picture. Oh well- notice I said "different" not "better").

So, today was supposed to be a big "study for finals/write papers" day.... but that didn't happen because I spent like HOURS researching skin stuff. Nice, huh?

So, tonight I tried something a little diff, since I'm not getting to bed until 5:30. And am up in 3 hours. UGH.

I washed my face too many times today, probably just as a nervous tick because I'm freaking a little about school, but am procrastinating anyway. It's not that big of a deal because I've decided to stop washing with soap, just using water and masks.

I had to spend the evening in the library ostansibly studying, and the lighting there is flourescent, instead of our apartment's nice little lamps. Damn. My skin looked dry and thin and old and rough. PLUS, I have what may be the worst breakout of my life going.

So when I came home (at 4 am) I took a nice, long, hot, relaxing shower.... and decided to do a baking soda mask.

I did the mask, let it sit for 10-15 min. After washing it off, I put on some diluted ACV as toner (popped my big scary whitehead), put on some Clean & Clear spot treatment (not SO gentle, I know- it has SA), and rubbed in some Burt's Bees moisturizer (it's the only one I trust not to break me out).

Now (a teeny tiny bit of) beauty sleep, and we'll see how the red marks look in the morning. Tonight, the side of my cheek and a bit of my chin looked like I had taken a scouring pad to it, so hopefully I'll have a better look tomorrow.

post-52016-1166146791_thumb.jpg

post-52016-1166146791_thumb.jpg

I know I've been terrible so far about sticking to one thing, but I'm really going to try and do this:

Morning:

Wash face with water

Drink 1 Tbs ACV

Wash face with water

Egg white & lemon mask (10 min)

Evening:

Wash face with water

Baking Soda exfoliation mask

Diluted ACV toner

Burt's Bees lotion

Spot treatment:

Neosporin, Clean & Clear (depends on the type of "spot")

I did the baking soda mask etc. last night, and when I woke up this morning, my red marks looked substantially better... well, not all of them, but the MONSTER did.

I'm wearing the egg and lemon mask right now... it's super tight... gonna feel SO good to get this thing. I really hope it's doing something. I heard such good things about this regime last night, I'm gonna commit. I'm not using anything too harsh (or expensive! Well, the egg whites could become so, so I'm going to buy egg beaters if/when I continue) on my face, so I feel pretty comfortable with it.

We'll see. Hopefully now I can upload my new pic.s

So, this is finals week for me --> I have had about 9 hours of sleep in the last 3 days. I'm also broke, and have been living entirely off of pasta. No meat, no veggies, no fruit- pasta, and I have gallon of milk still, so every meal is basically a bowl of pasta and a glass of milk. This has maybe been the least healthy week of my life!

BUT (!!!!) the good news about this is.... no, my skin does not look great. But it's been steadily improving these three days even though I've gotten 2-3 hours of sleep a night, eaten terrible food, and have been stressed out of my mind.

The ACV I've been drinking is coming into play with helping my body deal with the stress, I think. Earlier in the semester (I mean up to about a week ago, maybe even 4-5 days ago) I was getting a lot of muscle ticks that I think were related to stress- you know, they eyelid twitching thing, and it happened in my legs, too. Not noticeable to anyone else (lol I asked) but really obnoxious to deal with. At first with the ACV too, I was feeling sick to my stomach, but now I'm not having those tics, my stomach is strong, and I've got good color in my face.

I had a break-out last weekend, but the past few days I've been using the egg/baking soda masks, and ACV as toner once a day. My skin has vastly improved EVERY SINGLE DAY. In the morning I wake up amazed, every time. It's going to take A LONG LONG time before my red marks are gone, but they aren't getting any worse, and my active pimples were really stopped in their tracks.... and, most pleasingly, my overall complexion has improved SO SO SO much. The very first morning, after having done 1 mask the night before, and one mask morning after, I was treated so differantly, and got many more (good) stares.

Today when I woke up, I had two mini pimples coming in on my cheeks. But, if that's all that's going on- two mini active pimples- after the hell I've been putting my body through, fine! I'm happy!

I'm really happy with this regimine (though I still can't wait to get that aloe!) and I'm making a commitment right now to stay with it for at least a couple months!

I think I have a mini-cyst brewing on my forehead. It's not noticeable- it's skin-toned, and pretty small. But I think it's a cyst! Luckily, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

But, it maybe made me have a terrible dream last night about having tons of terrible acne, and I woke up horrified.

Luckily, it was just a dream. Still, nothing had really improved, and I was left disappointed.

I WISH WISH WISH I didn't have these redmarks! I have about 2 active pimples that are pretty minor, but all these 15 or so redmarks are driving me up a wall and making me feel so ugly.

As a consequence, I was maybe too harsh on my face today, and tried too many things.

Did the normal stuff, but added a dash of ACV toner in the morning, and an extra aspirin mask at night. Plus, some extra use of pimple cream. And, I was maybe getting a stress rash on my cheeks, which I'm prone to (it's not noticable to others, unless I don't do anything about it for an extended period), so I used hydrocortasone cream on it.

Well, hope it all starts improving tomorrow.

I'm kind of down about my face. It's not that anything is worse, really... but it's definately no better. I know how to take care of actual active acne by now... I barely get any anymore, and now I know how to prevent it marking afterwards. But sadly, I learned all this a couple months late. And my dark, super noticeable marks won't clear. They are all gathered in a little spot, and they won't even fade. I look at the gallery, and my "red marks" are SO much darker than any of thiers- I don't think I have bad acne, since active spots are so easily to deal with on me, but in terms of how my actual face looks... damn, way worse than most people! And everyone says make up is helpful... well, probably I'm just clueless, but makeup always makes me look bad. My actual skin texture and tone is really nice, so a big make-up splotch on the side is really not attractive.

Anyway, after that rant....

Here's what I did today (decided to take it easy... actually, didn't take it as easy as I meant to)

Morning: Washed face with water (and I think I put lotion on).

Evening: Washed face with water, did a whole-egg mask, massaged my face with lotion (which felt SOOOOOO good. I'm going to do that every day just for the stress relief), and am being stupid... I put neosporin on the MONSTER and then put a band-aid on it. Whatever. I just don't want to see it. Probably tomorrow it'll be really fucked up as usual.

Alright, I'm obviously emo tonight... I'd better go.

So, when I took the band-aid off the MONSTER this morning, the whole area looked a lot better!

The actual marks seemed smaller and darker, and the surrounding area, which had been bright red (so much so, I could barely see the where the bright marks ended and the bright red skin began) had gone back to a semi-normal color and texture (it had been smooth and slightly raised- like a burn)....

I think that with all my efforts to get rid of the red marks, I had rubbed my skin raw! The neosporin is healing that....

Why the band-aid was good:

Kept me/my clothes/pillowcase (definitively) from touching the area

Made it look like I had (almost) no acne!(... just like I had gotten beat up or something... but at least it got my mind off it a little!)

Let my skin heal (I guess, cause it looks a lot better).

Of course, I'm not going to do this for too long. But I've learned something in the past two days, while trying to be as gentle as possible (washing only with water, no exfoliation, etc).... it's not great for my normal skin (it looks kinda greasy and it's getting clogged), but my red marks have been healing like crazy. The skin around the MONSTER is now normal, and my super new marks are fading at light-speed. Sounds like I'm gonna be more gentle with my acne for now on! (though gonna go back to exfoliating every day for my regular skin).

I confess.

Last night I washed my face, and it looked dull and clogged, so I rubbed it with a towel, to exfoliate.

So, I exfoliated. And exfoliated. And exfoliated.

Until my face was bleeding and raw.

Then I put on some ACV and it BURNED so bad.

Now, I know that was STUPID. It seemed like the exfoliation was getting rid of the darkness on my cheeks, so I got excited. Then, some of the spots would just become tiny bloody pin-pricks surrounded by pink skin. So I tried to make ALL the marks like that...

Well, all I did was give myself a chemical burn.

I slapped on a another band-aid to start some healing, and then have pretty much left everything alone. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up some Aloe Vera.

WHY am I so stupid? I know what I should do, what works- be GENTLE. But I just CAN'T do it! I just feel this need to DO something.

And I just look worse and worse. I used to feel so beautiful, and it's hard feeling SO DAMN UGLY. My skin is just so bad. But I feel like it's useless going to a derm at the moment, because the biggest problems I've been having is that I've been too rough with my face. SO STUPID.

Just be GENTLE. Be GENTLE.

Guest molly_jean_comments
I confess.

Last night I washed my face, and it looked dull and clogged, so I rubbed it with a towel, to exfoliate.

So, I exfoliated. And exfoliated. And exfoliated.

Until my face was bleeding and raw.

Then I put on some ACV and it BURNED so bad.

Now, I know that was STUPID. It seemed like the exfoliation was getting rid of the darkness on my cheeks, so I got excited. Then, some of the spots would just become tiny bloody pin-pricks surrounded by pink skin. So I tried to make ALL the marks like that...

Well, all I did was give myself a chemical burn.

I slapped on a another band-aid to start some healing, and then have pretty much left everything alone. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up some Aloe Vera.

WHY am I so stupid? I know what I should do, what works- be GENTLE. But I just CAN'T do it! I just feel this need to DO something.

And I just look worse and worse. I used to feel so beautiful, and it's hard feeling SO DAMN UGLY. My skin is just so bad. But I feel like it's useless going to a derm at the moment, because the biggest problems I've been having is that I've been too rough with my face. SO STUPID.

Just be GENTLE. Be GENTLE.

I wouldnt even use a regular towel. I would use paper towels; thast what I do

Ok, some semblance of recovery.

I just washed my face, and exfoliated VERY gently once a day, and let it set for a day or two.

Then, last night I picked up some FOTE aloe gel and put it on the huge burn (the burn was bright red and took up my cheek from temple to jaw on the same side as the MONSTER), as well as any other blemishes/red marks.

I think it's a first degree burn, so it should be gone in 2-4 days. So, of course with the aloe, it was improving.

But today, I went to the pharmecy for another perscription and asked the pharmecist about the burn and she said to put neosporin + pain relief on it for a week.

So, for the evening, I've been putting the neo (the gel, not the cream, unfortunately) on the burn, and aloe on everything else (as a spot treatment).

So far:

Boy, the aloe REALLY works as a spot treatment! Any new blemish coming in has been totally zapped- the aloe dries it up (so it looks like it was never there!) in a matter of hours. And even my older marks, from two or so months ago, have been sucked pretty dry, and have shrunken already.

The neosporin is great on the burn because it FEELS so nice. The aloe dried it up, and it hurt like hell, but the neosporin is very soothing. I'll try and leave it on the area for a week, I guess. I maybe will fiddle with the MONSTER and some aloe, though.

In other news, I just came home for xmas and realized I left my zit cream and ALL my makeup at school. My mom was happy, because she likes me natural. I was upset at first, but in reality, I haven't worn makeup in a month! I've been feeling really ugly, so I guess I just thought, what's the point? I can probably scrounge up some eyeliner or something ;)

So, good news.

My burn went crazy from the neosporin, just like the monster did in the past. But now that I've just left it alone for a couple days (washed/mildly exfoliated 2x a day), it's suddenly looking 10 times better. It'll HOPEFULLY be gone in a few days...

The MONSTER is looking slightly better too. As for that, and any other parts of my face.... well, at this time of the month USUALLY, my skin is breaking out. But I've been putting on aloe between washing my face and putting on some lotion (I tend to have dry-ish skin). And, I've been spot treating my redmarks, any places that seem like emerging pimples, and the general area I usually break out in around this time (my chin). And I haven't gotten ANY new pimples (so far)!

I've just been washing my face with a "buff puff" in the morning, and washing it with my hands at night... and applying aloe whenever I feel like it.

It's the time of the month when my face usually goes crazy, but the ordinary pimples have been totally controled by the aloe- I've only gotten three or so, and they're all tiny and shrinking fast due to the aloe.

THE MONSTER is looking.... not bad, but not good. The marks are looking better daily. But now I've got two sorta pimples- new from yesterday. It's been weeks since I got anything new there, so that's disapointing. I also am kinda weirded out because they aren't like pimples I usually get. They seem like little whiteheads, and one HAS come to a head, but the other is just sorta growing, and both are flesh toned (not red at all).

The other problems I've been focusing on: I've got these little bumps that aren't really pimples, but won't go away. They are flesh toned and tiny. I was thinking maybe they're milia, but I think they might be too big for that.... hmm.

Tonight I gave myself a mini-spa treatment: asperin mask, honey and sugar scrub, ACV toner, and aloe.

I can't decide whether to see a derm or not. On the one hand, my face is improving, and I like the idea of going it cheap, natural, and alone. At least I know I will only get better or plateau- I won't get worse. On the other hand, something like differin could clear me up fast and definitively. But it could also give me a bad IB, and is a hastle because it's a perscription. What does everyone think?

I got another breakout, and went to my GP today.

She said I had cystic acne, which I found shocking. And she gave me Minocin (100g 1x/day) and Differin gel (2x/day).

We'll see. I started it all this afternoon.