Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps

Is it possible to purge, stop purging and then purge again? Or issit after purging, your skin will remain flawless. My forehead was pretty bump and clog free. But recently many tiny bumps appeared and even on my left cheek which is usually bump free. weird...

Hi LionQueen! Today I've just started using Paula's Choice BHA 2% gel and I was wondering how long will the purging last? Also does the purging consists in pustules and papules or something else? I really hope I won't be covered in acne! :pray:

Thank you in advance! :D

Hi LionQueen! Today I've just started using Paula's Choice BHA 2% gel and I was wondering how long will the purging last? Also does the purging consists in pustules and papules or something else? I really hope I won't be covered in acne! :pray:

Hey, I've been using 2% BHA and green cream retinol for more than a week now and I'm covered in whiteheads and pimples with no heads. So I'm also wondering how long this will last. But I've been told to use it for at least 3 months to actually see results.

LION QUEEN- i want to order the paulas choice but i have problems with dry skin. will it make my skin drier than it is? also i noticed in one reply that somone was putting moisturizer over green cream. is that ok- or does the green cream have any moisturizing properties whatsoever? i am having success right now with baking soda scrub/ACV toner/and egg white and lemon mask- i dont have any active or inflamed acne- just clogged pores (hard white gunk) that i cant seem to get rid of. oh and i use retin-a at night (every other night cause it dries me out too much) so before i spend the money on the BHA and GC, i would appreciate your expertise. because you are the queen...of course ;) and based on your vast sea of knowledge made evident by your posts- i trust your opinion. thanks in advance!

Try getting samples of the gel to make sure it doesn't dry your skin. They're very cheap, but tiny .... get several!

I think GC is pretty moisturizing on its own, but if you find that you need additional moisturizer, you can apply it 30-45 minutes after the GC.

I am surprised that Retin A isn't helping with your clogged pores .... it works the same way as GC, but it's much stronger. Are you using Retin A cream, or the micro gel?

Anyway, I would think that BHAs plus Retin A should clear things up for you. After cleansing at night, apply a thin layer of the BHA gel. Let it absorb for about 30 minutes, then apply Retin A.

If you want to use BHAs twice a day, you might also get some samples of the lotion and apply that in the mornings.

what exactly is comedonal acne?

I think it's clogged pores like whiteheads and blackheads.

yes .... blackheads and bumps, which might get inflamed sometimes but most of which don't. More of a texture problem ... unless you pick at it and irritate things.

Comedonal acne is notoriously stubborn. I've had mine all my life, as I said in my first post .... and I am only controlling it with my regimen. I haven't cured it by any means. If I were to stop all products tomorrow, I'd have a face full of bumps by the end of a month or two.

I still get small breakouts from time to time, my pores sometimes get congested .... basically, I haven't achieved perfection, but my skin does look really good about 99% of the time. I'm happy with that.

Is it possible to purge, stop purging and then purge again? Or issit after purging, your skin will remain flawless. My forehead was pretty bump and clog free. But recently many tiny bumps appeared and even on my left cheek which is usually bump free. weird...

That is a good question, and difficult to answer .... but you might read my response just above this.

Here is how things have gone for me: When I started with GC-6, I had extremely bumpy skin. I used Level 6 for 8 weeks, and at that point most of the bumps had worked their way to the surface, though I still had a few in the most stubborn areas (for me, chin, jaw, and nasolabial zone). Things seemed to have leveled off, so I switched to Level 9 and promptly started purging AGAIN. After a month, all the little bumps beneath the surface were gone.

But this doesn't mean my skin became flawless and effortless. I still have stuff going on under the surface; the products are controlling my acne quite well, so I don't get a face covered with bumps anymore, but I do still get small isolated bumps and zits and congested pores. These don't show up often, and they disappear quickly, so on the whole I'm fine with where I am.

I think that when you start with a new active product, you very often see some breakouts that are due to irritation. You might think it's purging, but it probably isn't, especially in the first week or two. This is one reason why it's so important to start slowly with this stuff.

I hope this helps .... obviously it's impossible for me to know exactly what's going on with someone else's skin. I have enough trouble trying to figure out my own, as anyone who's read my regimen log already knows. :wacko:

The BHAs should loosen up the comedones that are clogging the pores so that they can work their way to the surface. This takes awhile .... you need to be patient. Don't even try to assess your results until at least 6 weeks have gone by, and even that is early days .... most new regimens need 12 weeks to work.

It's really hard to predict how anyone's skin will react as the comedones move to the surface. If you are generally not prone to inflammatory acne, you should just see the bumps surfacing. Things will look worse before they look better; be prepared. Your bumps and blackheads may look larger and more prominent for awhile, because the comedones are pushing up. You might want to schedule a facial with extractions once every 4 weeks; that could help the process along considerably.

I hope you won't see much inflammatory acne. If you do, try icing your face twice a day .... also, you might consider taking Advil or Aleve twice a day, as both are anti-inflammatory. Obviously you can't keep that up forever, but it could help you through a bad patch.

Hey, I've been using 2% BHA and green cream retinol for more than a week now and I'm covered in whiteheads and pimples with no heads. So I'm also wondering how long this will last. But I've been told to use it for at least 3 months to actually see results.

I guess that might be due to purging ... but it's a little early for that. This breakout might have been on its way anyway, and it could have been exacerbated by irritation .... didn't you say earlier that you thought you'd started out too fast?

Anyway, I hope things calm down for you soon. See my advice in the post above.

I guess that might be due to purging ... but it's a little early for that. This breakout might have been on its way anyway, and it could have been exacerbated by irritation .... didn't you say earlier that you thought you'd started out too fast?

Anyway, I hope things calm down for you soon. See my advice in the post above.

Hey Lionqueen, thanks for the reply. :teehee:

Yep, I definitely did started too fast. After I gave my face a couple of days to heal, I have been consistent with my 2% BHA application nightly, and a couple of times a week (at most 3x out of the 7 days) during the morning as well. I throw in the green cream at night sometimes (at most 2x a week). Everything looks to be okay, no burn or anything like that. But if anything becomes uncomfortable, I will definitely cut back. I am experiencing a lot of flakiness. The whiteheads have calmed down a little.

The BHAs should loosen up the comedones that are clogging the pores so that they can work their way to the surface. This takes awhile .... you need to be patient. Don't even try to assess your results until at least 6 weeks have gone by, and even that is early days .... most new regimens need 12 weeks to work.

It's really hard to predict how anyone's skin will react as the comedones move to the surface. If you are generally not prone to inflammatory acne, you should just see the bumps surfacing. Things will look worse before they look better; be prepared. Your bumps and blackheads may look larger and more prominent for awhile, because the comedones are pushing up. You might want to schedule a facial with extractions once every 4 weeks; that could help the process along considerably.

I hope you won't see much inflammatory acne. If you do, try icing your face twice a day .... also, you might consider taking Advil or Aleve twice a day, as both are anti-inflammatory. Obviously you can't keep that up forever, but it could help you through a bad patch.

Thank you so much for your help LionQueen, I really appreciate it! :D

I've been on the DKR for 7 weeks and got a huge improvement of my inflammatory acne but now I still have some comedonal acne left that bothers me so I've been using 2% BHA in the morning and BP at night for three weeks now. I really hope that using BP once day will help prevent inflammatory acne while purging! :pray:

This is a great thread.

Do you have any sunscreen recommendations with SPF higher than 15? I've read the lengthy list of product recommendations and they are helpful, but I'd really like a higher SPF. My skin is generally not too dry and really just needs the SPF.

Many of the supposedly non-acne causing sunscreens have appeared to worsen my acne (e.g., Kinerase ($125!), Kiehl's, Oil of Olay, B. Kamins). Eucerin SPF 30 seemed ok, but was hard to blend.

Price is not an issue. If it's cheap and good, then that's great. But I'm willing to pay for something good.

Thanks!

I've been using the liquid 2% BHA for about a week, do you think this stuff is going to improve my redmarks? Those are really bugging me!

LIONQUEEN - I recently finished my BHA sample. Lasted maybe just over 2 weeks but I using VERY small amounts. Nothing has really changed, got a couple of pimples and maybe a couple of new comedones but other than that it seems to be fine. Now I'm waiting for my order to arrive - it's been about 2 weeks. I'm a little worried about what will happen while I'm in the waiting phase. My face had BHA every morning for 2 weeks and now nothing for another week or two potentially (just the diacneal). Think my face will have to get used to it all over again (that is if it had already gotten used to it in that short time)? I can't wait to get the full bottle, my skin looks really nice right now - not sure if it's directly in result of the BHA's but it just seems to glow....

Thanks.

I've been using the liquid 2% BHA for about a week, do you think this stuff is going to improve my redmarks? Those are really bugging me!

Salicylic acid does provide some surface exfoliation, which will help with redmarks ... it takes time, though.

You could speed things along by including an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) product in your regimen.

Think my face will have to get used to it all over again (that is if it had already gotten used to it in that short time)? I can't wait to get the full bottle, my skin looks really nice right now - not sure if it's directly in result of the BHA's but it just seems to glow....

I think you'll be just fine .... and yes, I noticed the increased glow as well. BHAs and retinoids really complement each other.

This is a great thread.

Do you have any sunscreen recommendations with SPF higher than 15? I've read the lengthy list of product recommendations and they are helpful, but I'd really like a higher SPF. My skin is generally not too dry and really just needs the SPF.

Many of the supposedly non-acne causing sunscreens have appeared to worsen my acne (e.g., Kinerase ($125!), Kiehl's, Oil of Olay, B. Kamins). Eucerin SPF 30 seemed ok, but was hard to blend.

Price is not an issue. If it's cheap and good, then that's great. But I'm willing to pay for something good.

Thanks!

This isn't an area where I have much expertise .... but I've heard good things about Shiseido sunscreens from people on this board.

Hey LionQueen. I have a quick question for you about Green Cream. Heres my story. I just heard about green cream and Im thinking about trying it. I have acne problems and I use a retinol cream now that works great, but still get breakouts often, just small ones but i thought maybe green cream would help with that and the acne scars. I use La Roche Posay Biomedic .60% Retinol cream, if you have ever heard of it, i know many people havent. When I started retinol, i jumped right to the .60, I skipped right over the .15% and .30%.....Although I do have sensitive skin, but had no problems what so ever. Reinol doesnt bother me, i dont peel and i dont get irritated. Of course I've ever only used that brand. So my question is, what level should I start out at? I was thinking Level 6 but since Ive never used anything else and never tried this cream before I thought maybe i should start with level 3 as they said. Also since my acne isnt bad I thought maybe the level 3 would be sufficient. Second, Am i safe to put it on every night and skip the once every so often until you work your way up to every other night step? I use mine every night and every morning now, I need twice a day or my breakouts get the best of me. Hopefully you can help me out. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Hey LionQueen. I have a quick question for you about Green Cream. Heres my story. I just heard about green cream and Im thinking about trying it. I have acne problems and I use a retinol cream now that works great, but still get breakouts often, just small ones but i thought maybe green cream would help with that and the acne scars. I use La Roche Posay Biomedic .60% Retinol cream, if you have ever heard of it, i know many people havent. When I started retinol, i jumped right to the .60, I skipped right over the .15% and .30%.....Although I do have sensitive skin, but had no problems what so ever. Reinol doesnt bother me, i dont peel and i dont get irritated. Of course I've ever only used that brand. So my question is, what level should I start out at? I was thinking Level 6 but since Ive never used anything else and never tried this cream before I thought maybe i should start with level 3 as they said. Also since my acne isnt bad I thought maybe the level 3 would be sufficient. Second, Am i safe to put it on every night and skip the once every so often until you work your way up to every other night step? I use mine every night and every morning now, I need twice a day or my breakouts get the best of me. Hopefully you can help me out. Thank you very much for your time and help.

You can probably start with the Level 6 right off the bat. Most people can. If you want to ease your way into it without missing retinol applications, why not start gradually working it into your current regimen, alternating with your current product?

Also, if retinol isn't doing the job for you on its own, I highly recommend adding in the Paula's Choice 2% BHAs. The combination of the two is dynamite.

Finally .... about the scars .... these products are not strong enough to have a significant effect on scarring. The retinol will make your skin look plumper and healthier, which will probably make scarring somewhat less apparent .... but it is very unlikely to make anything disappear entirely.

Hey lionqueen, how are you doing? I was wondering if i could pick your brain for some information. I use 2 products for my acne that work pretty well. A cleanser and retinol. I saw someone elses post where you told them to try paulas choice BHAs and i was looking into that. But, I am also looking into getting a Glycolic Acid Peel. Do you know anything about them? Are they safe and good for the skin, or bad for the skin? The aesthetic centre I go to offers them and the guy who works there said that mild redness or irritation are the only likely aftereffect. As i said the 2 products i use work good, i really dont want to have to add a whole line of more. I still get a few breakouts here and there, So i thought maybe i could try this peel every month, he said it should rid me of the extra acne i have. Could you tell me anything about them? thanks for your help, your great at this.

Hey lionqueen, how are you doing? I was wondering if i could pick your brain for some information. I use 2 products for my acne that work pretty well. A cleanser and retinol. I saw someone elses post where you told them to try paulas choice BHAs and i was looking into that. But, I am also looking into getting a Glycolic Acid Peel. Do you know anything about them? Are they safe and good for the skin, or bad for the skin? The aesthetic centre I go to offers them and the guy who works there said that mild redness or irritation are the only likely aftereffect. As i said the 2 products i use work good, i really dont want to have to add a whole line of more. I still get a few breakouts here and there, So i thought maybe i could try this peel every month, he said it should rid me of the extra acne i have. Could you tell me anything about them? thanks for your help, your great at this.

Well, I've never had a glycolic peel .... but if you check the Redmarks forum, you will definitely find some good info. Some people have had great success with these; others have had problems. I have a great respect for acids in skincare ... you can get incredible results if you use them properly, but you can also really do some damage (and make your life quite unpleasant for awhile) if you don't. So make sure the person doing the peel is someone you trust to know what he is doing!

One thing I do want to mention is that retinol use increases the skin's sensitivity to peels and other treatments. You should probably stop using your retinol product some time before the peel .... I think a week is what's generally recommended. Check this with your aesthetic centre, okay? Since I don't know the strength of your retinol product or the strength of the GA solution they plan to use, I'm not a very reliable source of information here. :D

hello, lion queen

i've been using diacneal for quite some time now (you can see my regimen below), and even though i see results, my skin sensitivity has come to the point where it's not comfortable any more. i thought of reducing the application to every other day, at least until my skin recovers a bit.

i'd also like to incorporate bha into my regimen, but was afraid of doing so, since i thought it would be too much for the skin. any suggestions on how i combine bha and diacneal and not make my skin more sensitive than it is now?

should i alternate them in the night, and use nothing in the morning? or do you have any other suggestions?

i've been using diacneal for quite some time now (you can see my regimen below), and even though i see results, my skin sensitivity has come to the point where it's not comfortable any more. i thought of reducing the application to every other day, at least until my skin recovers a bit.

i'd also like to incorporate bha into my regimen, but was afraid of doing so, since i thought it would be too much for the skin. any suggestions on how i combine bha and diacneal and not make my skin more sensitive than it is now?

should i alternate them in the night, and use nothing in the morning? or do you have any other suggestions?

Before adding in the BHA, you should definitely make sure your skin is stable and not irritated. Cut back the Diacneal to every other night .... or perhaps 2 out of 3 nights .... your call.

Once you feel that things have settled down, start trying out the BHA. You could start out by applying it every other night and if that goes well, move up to nightly use. Or, if you prefer, just continue alternating between the two products at night and see how that goes for awhile.

I've had zero irritation from the Paula's Choice 2% gel, it's really an amazing formulation -- my skin has never been able to tolerate salicylic acid before. Hope it works for you as well.

hi everyone, I wanted to share my success story with using the Green Cream/ Paula's Choice BHA / Mandelic acid.

I started usin this regemin about 3 months ago and my skin has totally changed.

I was suffering from cystic acne on my shin/mouth area/lower cheeks and HORRIBLE clogged pores but didn't want to go on any topicals or pills because my husband and I are ttc. What I normalls do is wash my face in the a. then apply the BHA. wash it again at night and apply the BHA and wait 30 minutes like LQ suggested then apply mandalic acid/green cream on alternating nights. I have really sensitive skin so the 6 was way to strong. I use level 3 on my face and level 6 around my eyes and forehead.

When I started this regimen I noticed no significant breakout/purging or dryness. I noticed that almost immediatley my pores became smaller and my skin tone has also evened out.

I haven't had a cystic pimple in 3 months or so and most of the red marks from my cystic acne have faded.

I no longer have a ton of clogged pored and when I do get a pimple it is small and usually ovulation related.

I have had great success using GC/MA and BHA - and I had CYSTIC acne.

I am eternally grateful to LQ and all the other knowledgeable posters here.

Hi again LionQueen. I asked about the green cream above, you helped me out a lot and i am going to try it. But i had one more question, I have acne on my chest and back/shoulders area, not real bad. Its hard to find something to use though because if i buy benzoyl peroxide or something it lasts a week since i need to use so much to cover the entire area, so i thought about trying the green cream. Is it safe to use on my chest and back? If so, is level 6 good to start with on those areas? thanks again for your help.