Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gaia123

Screw the chemicals: The natural cure

So .......after walking around with severly infected, acne prone skin for years,

And being aware of the toxins in most skincare products (and foods) from day one, my skin seems to be cooperating nicely. my discovery?

TEA TREE products . they are available in many natural skin care stores (the most popular of which is The Body Shop...BUT I AM SURE OTHER PLACES HAVE THEM)

I am not sure how well this may work with everyone's skin type but it balanced out my pH wonderfully. And I have come to the conclusion that i am not so bad lookin' biggrin.gif/

Pros of tea tree oils and cleasers:

1) has traditionally been used in malaysia for healing minor scrapes and insect bites (so imagine what it'll do to a zit)

2) everything in it is good for you (no medications, no chemicals)

3) works for even those with hypersensitive skin

4) Gets rid of stuff you didnt even know was there... without irritation

5) tones to remove 'once upon a time' blackheads/minor scars

6) Has a peculiar/natural smell

Cons of tea tree oils and cleansers

1) may cost a bit more

2)Has a peculiar/natural smell

What i find puzzling is that it is not marketed as an acne treatment miracle but just as a normal overall good skin care common sense product. wheeeeeeeee

So I recommend it to anyone who is frustrated or suspiscious of the more 'chemically' kinds of treatment.

as with anything good ...i takes a bit more time for results (but by the end of a week you should be noticing results)

godspeed.

A

I have heard so many people have great results using tea tree oil as a treatment.I read a lot about using it and went and got a blemish stick with tea tree oil in it. It broke me out something awful. It inflammed every freakin zit I put it on. So, then I got just tea tree oil from the health food place and it screwed me up to. But, I have heard it worked for a lot of people and I am glad you found it works for you. If you do a search for tea tree oil you will find an abundance of info.

I´m sorry, but whenever I start reading this stuff about chemicals and toxins and such my bull radar starts going off big time.

What are these toxins in acne medications and foods you are talking about?

What makes you think they cause acne?

Acne is caused by blocked pores, building up oil secretions and the bacteria that grow in them. Obviously you want to have clean and healthy skin, but thats not because of toxins, it´s to remove things which can clog pores.

TTO though is certainly a lower level treatment for acne, but isn´t going to work for people with more seroius acne. Consider:

"1) has traditionally been used in malaysia for healing minor scrapes and insect bites (so imagine what it'll do to a zit)"

Simply because something is traditional doesn´t make it good, indeed it could often suggest the opposit. Also, a zit requires something different from an insect bite or a scrape, so something that is effective for one won´t nesecerily be effective for the other.

"2) everything in it is good for you (no medications, no chemicals)"

Obviously it is a medication because you are using it as one. TTO IS a chemical, everything we see around us is a chemical (except pure elements). Perhaps you mean this is a chemical that occurs naturally in nature, but that isn´t much of a point, because many of these "natural" chemicals are dangerous anyway.

If you mean by "It is good for you" that it doesn´t cause side effects (dry skin, irritation), then you´ll find it does, just not as much as BP 5%.

"4) Gets rid of stuff you didnt even know was there... without irritation"

Such as??

"What i find puzzling is that it is not marketed as an acne treatment miracle but just as a normal overall good skin care common sense product. wheeeeeeeee

So I recommend it to anyone who is frustrated or suspiscious of the more 'chemically' kinds of treatment."

Probably because it is generally good for the skin, but not a highly effective acne treatment. What chemicals are you suspicious of? I can find you a thread way back talking about how safe BP is, how it is filtered quickly out of the system and converted to a harmless chemical if you want to read up.

"I am not sure how well this may work with everyone's skin type but it balanced out my pH wonderfully. And I have come to the conclusion that i am not so bad lookin' biggrin.gif/ "

Great for you! I am curious to know how you know something is balancing out your pH? How do you measure you pH? I have never heard of this before.

Welcome here, I hope we can help you beat your acne, just remember not to believe everything the "chemical scaremongers" tell you =D

If it weren´t for modern chemistry and chemicals we wouldn´t have the treatments which have helped hundreds of us here on these boards and everywhere!

Guest fatman_uk

Tea Tree Oil is OK for my body but my face just got greasy from using it.

-Gaz

I tried it for a bit. I found it to have an offensive odor. Also, it did nothing for my acne. I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative.

-Dan

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=51

A study of 119 patients using 5% tea tree oil in a gel base versus 5% benzoyl peroxide lotion was discussed. There were 61 in the benzoyl peroxide group and 58 in the tea tree oil group. The conclusion was that "both treatments were effective in reducing the number of inflamed lesions throughout the trial, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil. Skin oiliness was lessened significantly in the benzoyl peroxide group versus the tea tree oil group." However, while the reduction of breakouts was greater for the benzoyl peroxide group, the side effects of dryness, stinging, and burning were also greaterâ€â€"79% of the benzoyl peroxide group versus 49% of the tea tree oil group."

Given these results, a 2.5% strength benzoyl peroxide solution would be better to start with to see if it is effective, rather than starting with the more potent and somewhat more irritating 5% or 10% concentrations. However, if you were interested in using a 5% strength tea tree oil solution to see if that would be effective, at this time I know of no products stating the amount of tea tree oil they contain. It appears that almost all of the tea tree oil products on the market contain little more than a 1% concentration, if that, which is probably not enough to be of much help for breakouts.

Thanks guy and good point frances.

Acne treatments and such are so full of nonsence, especially in marketing, so one has to be a very critical thinker and challenge everything that´s not supported by evidence, otherwise you´l l end up following poor advice from advertisers.

I think frances´ study supports what I was saying =)

Acne treatments and such are so full of nonsence, especially in marketing,

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had a product on the shelves that I knew was misleading customers and doing nothing for their acne. Some people obviously value the money over morals. Bastards