Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lexia

Roaccutane users

Hi there. I'm concerned!

I went to see a dermatologist for my acne early september and she issued me 4 repeat prescriptions (4 boxes which will last me 4 months). Apart from Sept, I saw her in Oct for my appointment to do checkups etc etc, as u do. She looked at my face and said i cant remember how your skin was when u first came here but i can see u only have old acne remaining, nothing new.. (i thought to myself, wouldnt it be wise if u kept before & after photos)! Anyway.. my blood tests came back exceptional according to her and as i was about to leave i asked "so same time next month"? She said no not necesary. I said but arent i spose to keep monthly body/blood checkups? She said "Well look if u want to book an appointment ill see u in Dec". I missed that appointment cause of a family emergency and i called up today appologising to the reception lady (cause this place never puts u through to the doctor herself (pffft this reception lady gets on my nerves)! She asked me to come in next week but im going on a 2 week holiday before then so i couldnt book. When i told the receptionist that all i want to know is if the doc will be issuing me another two boxes to fill the 6 months as she said herself, in which she replied "U cant get a prescription issued out to u unless she has a look at ur face cause u may not require anymore"... to which i rudely replied " YEAH BUT THE DOCTOR TOLD ME IT WASNT NECESSARY FOR HER TO SEE ME ANYMORE AND IF I HAD NEVER BOOKED MY DECEMBER APPOINTMENT SHE WOULDNT HAVE SEEN ME, MEANING NO BLOOD CHECKUPS AND NO PRESCRIPTION, WHAT IF MY ACNE COMES BACK!!!" She went silent and said she'll talk to the doc and let me know... but she hasnt called me back. I'm so fed up!! The receptionist keep saying to me, "The doctor knows what precautions she should be taking it is a serious drug and she takes these things very seriously"... OH MY GOD what a bunch of baloney!! i feel like im being neglected and she comes across very unprofessional :snooty:

Is this wrong?

Shouldnt i be having monthly blood checkups? Shouldnt the doc be the one saying i need to see u here and then? Ive been getting gut pains for the past 3 weeks and i think its cause of the tane. What if its something serious and shes just neglecting me............ its like " Here take these and dont come back"!

*sigh* i think ill change derms? or will that complicate things?

i never had monthly blood checkups. i had it only once before my derm prescribed me 10mg accutane which i took for 6 months.

do u take ur pills after meals? u do have to find a way to let her know of ur stomach pains. it's also her responsibility to make sure side effects are dealt with properly.

P.S. i did see my derm once to twice a month

Trying to get through to her (in her office) reminds me somewhat of trying to get through the poll on radio stations.

"sorry u werent selected, try again in 10 minutes".

Its really ridiculous, im here worrying about my health and i cant do anything about it. I'm going on a 2 week holiday and ill be in the sun every single day for hrs and hrs.. im so worried i need advice from her grrrrrrrrrrrr

u need to avoid sun exposure. i was advised to wear a good sunscreen and i did but my skin still got red even when exposed to sun for only a few minutes.

have u thought of seeing her w/o setting an appointment? :razz: if it doesnt take much of ur time then maybe u can try doin that. just tell her it's that urgent coz of the stomach pains ur getting.

I never got monthly blood tests done, I think I got two done, one before I started and one after my first month. They came back fine and the derm told me that I wouldn’t need to get them done again. But seriously if you’re not happy with the way she is treating you then change doctors, you’re paying her money, buying her services so at the very least you should be is happy with her performance.

my derm usually gives two blood tests. one before starting accutane, and one after the first month to see how it is affecting you. if there are no prblems you don't need additional monthly blood work. I need to take another test soon because their was a slight lipid elevation after my first month. but if there weren't any problems with your first months test, i don't think you need to be tested each month.

Hmm fair enough, thanks guys!

Yeah Jordan19, i did one test before starting tane, but she allowed me to start the drugs before she even got the results back...riigghhtt...

and then i got a test done 1 month into it <- these results i did not get i have no idea how they went so im assuming they went fine other wise she would have called me...but then again.... lol

Yeah Jordan19, i did one test before starting tane, but she allowed me to start the drugs before she even got the results back...riigghhtt...

and then i got a test done 1 month into it <- these results i did not get i have no idea how they went so im assuming they went fine other wise she would have called me...but then again.... lol

i'm sure if ther ewas a problem after the first blood test she would have told you, why else would she have bothered to even prescribe the blood test if she was going to ignore it.

lemme tell you something about doctors offices and receptionists.. they are more often than not useless and stupid. I worked in an answering service behind the scenes for these offices and I can't even tell you how many stupid receptionists I used to have to deal with.

maybe my dermy is just weird but she is so uptight about EVERYTHING, but im kinda glad she is. she said she has to see me every month only a couple days after my blood work or else she cant confirm me for another month. i told her i would be 6 hrs away at home for christmas but now i have to cut my trip in half to come back (college) because she wont give me extra to last through the break. and also...she sees that my lips are kind of chapped, and shes like "your lips are way too chapped, ima only up your dose a little bit." :( sometimes i think shes too "by the book" but it sounds like that is what your wanting. if so...there are definately docs out there (like mine) that give you that kind of treatment.

i'm sure if ther ewas a problem after the first blood test she would have told you, why else would she have bothered to even prescribe the blood test if she was going to ignore it.

Cause of rules and regulations.. and getting busted.

lemme tell you something about doctors offices and receptionists.. they are more often than not useless and stupid. I worked in an answering service behind the scenes for these offices and I can't even tell you how many stupid receptionists I used to have to deal with.

Yep, im with u on that one. Acts all professional and then i bring her right back down to earth :P

maybe my dermy is just weird but she is so uptight about EVERYTHING, but im kinda glad she is. she said she has to see me every month only a couple days after my blood work or else she cant confirm me for another month. i told her i would be 6 hrs away at home for christmas but now i have to cut my trip in half to come back (college) because she wont give me extra to last through the break. and also...she sees that my lips are kind of chapped, and shes like "your lips are way too chapped, ima only up your dose a little bit." :( sometimes i think shes too "by the book" but it sounds like that is what your wanting. if so...there are definately docs out there (like mine) that give you that kind of treatment.

Ohh ok! well u benefit in a way cause shes taking all the precautions, even though it seems like a pain in the arse!

I'm not saying my derm's a pain in the arse cause shes the total opposite... its just, its almost like she expects me to read her mind or something. She wants me to be on it for 6 months but ive only got enuff boxes for 4 months... she doesnt wana see me, and thats fine as long as i get my extra 2 prescription repeats, but that wont be happening cause according to the recep lady, the doc has to see me b4 she can issue any more out to me. hehe. Blahhhhh