Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

did you take accutane in the 1980s?

Many people on this site, from what ive seen are pretty young and have just recently taken accutane but rarely if ever have i heard the opinions of people that have been off the drug for 15 years or so, and id like this to be their opportunity to speak up.

so if you have taken accutane anytime during the 1980s id like to hear your opinion of the drug.

Id like to form a good opinion on the drug, because there is alot of evidence for serious long term side effects, even years after.

I highly doubt you will hear from anyone who took Tane from the 80's. Or the early 90's

1. Accutane likely cleared them, why would they hang around an acne site, plain and simple.

2. Females gave birth to deformed babies. ( pretty sure alot of this happened, no one knew about the effects to unborn babies)

My mom was on accutane in the early 80s, she was one of the "test" people, I think. Or one of the very first people to get it. Something like that, I'll ask her for her input. Luckily she took it well before I was conceived :-D.

Yep, my first course was during the 80s. It cleared me up for more than a decade and i just recently finished a second course and am again clear.

The only side effects that persisted from my first course were dryness related. My skin, mouth, lips, and eyes were drier than they had been before the course, and it was years before i could wear contact lenses. I used small amounts of lip balm ever since.

Many people on this site, from what ive seen are pretty young and have just recently taken accutane but rarely if ever have i heard the opinions of people that have been off the drug for 15 years or so, and id like this to be their opportunity to speak up.

so if you have taken accutane anytime during the 1980s id like to hear your opinion of the drug.

Id like to form a good opinion on the drug, because there is alot of evidence for serious long term side effects, even years after.

I took the med in '85 or '86. It kept me totally clear for 5 + years, and reasonably clear for another couple of years - even though it was a low-ish dose (40 mg/day; about 65mg/kg cumulative - I'm a 75 KG male). When the acne returned, it was much better than originally.

I took the second course (same dosage) 10 years later ('96). In retrospect, I should have gone for it a couple years sooner.

Now I'm on my third course and plan to take the full 120+ mg/kg cumulative dose even though my acne is not bad at all (but still persistent). The only reason I'm taking the third course is that it is my strong opinion that with proper medical supervision, accutane is better for me than indefinite, long term antibiotics (which is what was needed for my persistent condition).

Absolutely no long term side effects that I can identify.

I'm not sure that there is "a lot of evidence for serious long term side effects, even years after." I read a recent study that showed absolutely no long term effect on blood lipids or liver functions even after multiple courses. HAve you read something contrary to this?

I have read a lot of cases where people have taken accutane and then taken it again 10, 20 years down the line. It seems like if the person never took accutane they would have gradually outgrown the acne faster...just a thought. Does anyone have any opinions on whether accutane could possibly prevent people from completely outgrowing acne in the long term?

I highly doubt you will hear from anyone who took Tane from the 80's. Or the early 90's

1. Accutane likely cleared them, why would they hang around an acne site, plain and simple.

2. Females gave birth to deformed babies. ( pretty sure alot of this happened, no one knew about the effects to unborn babies)

they always new about the birth defects since before it hit the market.

I have read a lot of cases where people have taken accutane and then taken it again 10, 20 years down the line. It seems like if the person never took accutane they would have gradually outgrown the acne faster...just a thought. Does anyone have any opinions on whether accutane could possibly prevent people from completely outgrowing acne in the long term?

they probably would not have outgrown it.

I know i'd have never outgrown it. Both my parents still have it and my mom's going through menopause for crying out loud. There is a family history that extends beyond just my parents as well (their siblings, my cousins, etc).

Accutane saved me from a lot of scarring and allowed me to feel normal throughout my long remission.

probably yes, tane changes etiopathogenesis of acne which means that after the course acne is not going with its normal rhythm anymore.

they always new about the birth defects since before it hit the market.

I go along with that. I didn't take it in the 80s, but in 2006 yet I'm 38 (took it when I was 37). I hadn't outgrown it by then, so I doubt I ever would. Naturally if I'd taken it when I was 20 or so and still had acne now people would have said it was down to accutane affecting its natural course.

Accutane was the best move I've ever done in my life, simple as that. It's given me a whole new life back that I lost when I hit 13. May sound absurd, but I'd take 2 years of acne free lifestyle (and it was bad), than 10 years of a life with cysts all the time.

Main thing is people who read on these forums are well informed through them, they know the risks and possible side effects and the precautions they should take.

because there is alot of evidence for serious long term side effects, even years after.

No, there's not. The medical literature points to the contrary, actually. Unless, of course, you're using web board anecdotes as "evidence."

I took Accutane in the early nineties, and we were aware of the congenital infant disabilities related to the medication. Precautions were taken to avoid abnormalities of the fetus in neuro. You were required to sign a release agreeing to abstain from sex. If you chose to have sex while receiving the treatment, patients must take birth control without any mishaps. If you became pregnant, you had to agree to an abortion.  I chose abstinence because I wasn't having an abortion.

All patients were required to have bloodwork drawn weekly to test for liver damage amongst other indicators. After the treatment, my skin has never looked better. It cleared all of the oil and unclogged every poor. I was happy with my results. I hope this help to hear a perspective for the 90s.