Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Up X Front

Oil Fighting toner?

I bought a toner called Clean and Clear Deep Cleaning astringent. It is suppose to help reduce oil and help prevent breakouts. It does have 2.0% Salicylic acid. Will this effect my regimen?

right now i am using;

Dans Cleanser

On The Spot

Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing moisturizer

Thanks!

ps Brandy will this help reduce my oiliness?

I couldn't find the specific product you mentioned (Are you sure that's what it's called?), but pretty much anything labeled "astringent" is going to be too irritating for the skin because every astringent I've ever seen contained high concentrations of skin irritants like drying alcohols. All the Clean and Clear astringents I did find not only contained SD alcohol 40 (a drying type of alcohol), but also menthol and menthyl lactate to give the skin a cooling/tingly feeling so that consumers think the product is working. However, a cooling/tingly sensation on the skin, while it might feel refreshing, is a sign of irritation.

Alcohol definately does a good job at removing surface oil, but only temporarily and with the risk of future skin problems due to the damage caused by irritation. This irritation also causes the skin around the pores to swell, making them appear smaller, but again the effect is temporary and not worth the risks.

Salicylic acid has gotten a bad reputation for being a harsh and in many cases ineffective ingredient, when in all actuality the problems salicylic acid users experience has more to due with the "inactive" ingredients. In all actuality well-formulated salicylic acid products are gentler than alpha hydroxy acid products because salicylic acid has anti-inflammatory properties due to its relationship with aspirin. Also, unlike alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pore, making it the preferential choice for acne sufferers. Unfortunately, most salicylic acid products have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow for exfoliation, contain high concentrations of skin irritants, or both. The only pH-correct and gentle salicylic acid products I know of are:

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Moisturizer

Paula's Choice 1% or 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid products*

Serious Skin Care Clarifying Treatment

*Paula's Choice makes by far the best salicylic acid products which are also the cheapest per ounce, but they must be ordered online.

Well-formulated salicylic acid products can be used in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, and in my opinion deliver better results for inflammatory acne sufferers than using one medication alone because the salicylic acid exfoliates and helps fight clogged pores, while the benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria which are a factor in the inflammation of pimples. Dermatologists of course have mixed views on the matter, but it is my belief that most dermatologists recommending the avoidance of salicylic acid products while using benzoyl peroxide is because the majority of salicylic acid products contain skin irritants.

As was the case with your astringent, I couldn't find the specific moisturizer you mentioned, but none of Clean and Clear's moisturizers that I did see were worth buying. Like the astringents, they contained menthyl lactate and/or menthol, and the ones with sun protection were not broad-spectrum (meaning they did not provide adequate protection against UVA rays, which are arguably more harmful than UVB rays). Also, I highly doubt that the pH of the moisturizers was low enough to for the salicylic acid to act as an exfoliant, but just in case it was, you should only use one exfoliant at a time. Using two salicylic acid products together regularly is too irritating for your skin.

Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid make the skin more sun-sensitive, so it is especially improtant that you wear a broad spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. A broad-spectum sunscreen can be identified by the active ingredients it contains- if it doesn't contain titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone, mexoryl sx, or tinosorb, it is not broad-spectrum and should not be used. Many Acne.org users do not think wearing sunscreen regularly is important because they avoid the sun or it's cloudy out. However, UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass and light clothing. Daily unprotected exposure, even if it doesn't cause a noticeable change in the color of your skin, is cumulative and adds up over time. It has been theorized that sun damage plays a factor in acne, not only because sun damage impairs the skin's ability to function normally and increases the risk of clogged pores, but because of the destruction of collagen sun damage causes.

Unfortunately nothing you apply topically will make much difference in how oily or not your skin is because oil production is primarily controlled by hormones, so only certain oral medications are truly effective in reducing oil production. The oil can only be removed/absorbed. To absorb excess oil you can wear a sheer powder, like Janes Staying Powder in Colorless, or you can use oil-blotting sheets like those from Biore throughout the day.

I couldn't find the specific product you mentioned (Are you sure that's what it's called?), but pretty much anything labeled "astringent" is going to be too irritating for the skin because every astringent I've ever seen contained high concentrations of skin irritants like drying alcohols. All the Clean and Clear astringents I did find not only contained SD alcohol 40 (a drying type of alcohol), but also menthol and menthyl lactate to give the skin a cooling/tingly feeling so that consumers think the product is working. However, a cooling/tingly sensation on the skin, while it might feel refreshing, is a sign of irritation.

Alcohol definately does a good job at removing surface oil, but only temporarily and with the risk of future skin problems due to the damage caused by irritation. This irritation also causes the skin around the pores to swell, making them appear smaller, but again the effect is temporary and not worth the risks.

Salicylic acid has gotten a bad reputation for being a harsh and in many cases ineffective ingredient, when in all actuality the problems salicylic acid users experience has more to due with the "inactive" ingredients. In all actuality well-formulated salicylic acid products are gentler than alpha hydroxy acid products because salicylic acid has anti-inflammatory properties due to its relationship with aspirin. Also, unlike alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pore, making it the preferential choice for acne sufferers. Unfortunately, most salicylic acid products have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow for exfoliation, contain high concentrations of skin irritants, or both. The only pH-correct and gentle salicylic acid products I know of are:

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Moisturizer

Paula's Choice 1% or 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid products*

Serious Skin Care Clarifying Treatment

*Paula's Choice makes by far the best salicylic acid products which are also the cheapest per ounce, but they must be ordered online.

Well-formulated salicylic acid products can be used in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, and in my opinion deliver better results for inflammatory acne sufferers than using one medication alone because the salicylic acid exfoliates and helps fight clogged pores, while the benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria which are a factor in the inflammation of pimples. Dermatologists of course have mixed views on the matter, but it is my belief that most dermatologists recommending the avoidance of salicylic acid products while using benzoyl peroxide is because the majority of salicylic acid products contain skin irritants.

As was the case with your astringent, I couldn't find the specific moisturizer you mentioned, but none of Clean and Clear's moisturizers that I did see were worth buying. Like the astringents, they contained menthyl lactate and/or menthol, and the ones with sun protection were not broad-spectrum (meaning they did not provide adequate protection against UVA rays, which are arguably more harmful than UVB rays). Also, I highly doubt that the pH of the moisturizers was low enough to for the salicylic acid to act as an exfoliant, but just in case it was, you should only use one exfoliant at a time. Using two salicylic acid products together regularly is too irritating for your skin.

Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid make the skin more sun-sensitive, so it is especially improtant that you wear a broad spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. A broad-spectum sunscreen can be identified by the active ingredients it contains- if it doesn't contain titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone, mexoryl sx, or tinosorb, it is not broad-spectrum and should not be used. Many Acne.org users do not think wearing sunscreen regularly is important because they avoid the sun or it's cloudy out. However, UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass and light clothing. Daily unprotected exposure, even if it doesn't cause a noticeable change in the color of your skin, is cumulative and adds up over time. It has been theorized that sun damage plays a factor in acne, not only because sun damage impairs the skin's ability to function normally and increases the risk of clogged pores, but because of the destruction of collagen sun damage causes.

Wow, is all that i can say. You answered alot of my questions and i am very thankful for your advice. I am really just trying to find something that will stop my oil production. I just put the toner on about an hour ago and my face feels dry! Which i love, it feels alot better than the feeling of dirty oily skin. Should i use moisturizer in the morning and evening? Or should i choose one or the other? I just really hope the regimen works!

i have and have used that product. when i used it, it didnt dry out my skin too much at all. i cant recall however (i stopped using it like 8 months ago) if it helped with breakouts, but if SA works for you then it should. Dont apply this all over your face, just use it on your T-Zone and you should be fine! i like it, it helped reduce my oil and it made my skin soft and smell nice.

Wow, is all that i can say. You answered alot of my questions and i am very thankful for your advice. I am really just trying to find something that will stop my oil production. I just put the toner on about an hour ago and my face feels dry! Which i love, it feels alot better than the feeling of dirty oily skin. Should i use moisturizer in the morning and evening? Or should i choose one or the other? I just really hope the regimen works!

Although I acknowledge that the regimen works for many people, I disagree with Dan about certain things, like his insistance that moisturization the entire face, oily or not, is necessary. Unnecesary moisturization can actually increase the risk of clogged pores by mixing with your skin's sebum and trapping dead skin cells to the skin's surface. Dry skin should definately be moisturized, but oily areas of skin don't need it. The exception to the rule is that daytime moisturizers, which contain sunscreen, should be applied all over the face because the damage caused by the sun is much worse than that caused by unnecessary moisturization.

Ideally you wouldn't continue using your astringent and your current moisturizer (assuming it is like the other Clean and Clear moisturizers I saw) because of the irritants they contain.Even though your skin may not seem irritated, if you apply irritants to your skin the damage is still taking place and is ongoing, so it adds up over time (Source: Skin Research and Technology, November 2001, pages 227-237).

Dove makes good facial moisturizers and sunscreens.

My apologies. I didn't see your posted links.

My same comments I made earlier about skin irritants apply to your astringent; this contains a high concentration of alcohol, as well as other skin irritants like eucalyptus oil, camphor, peppermint oil, and clove oil. Whether or not the pH of the product is low enough to allow the salicylic acid acid to act as an exfoliant, you shouldn't use it because the irritants in this product will damage your skin. Your skin would be better off if you used a pH-correct and gentle salicylic acid product.

Other than the fragrance, your moisturizer doesn't seem to contain any known skin irritants. However, it doesn't contain a broad-spectrum SPF, so you should use a moisturizer that does during the daytime. It doesn't contain salicylic acid, so you don't have to worry about using it in conjunction with another salicylic acid product.