Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kath_ryn

On second month of Accutane, and can't stop picking.

I just recently started on my second month of Accutane. I'm definitely very dry and continuing to get breakouts, though not much worse than before I started. But I can't stop picking my skin! It's been a compulsive habit for me for years and I've tried to stop, but I tend to keep doing it (especially when I'm upset or stressed). I really don't want to aggravate my acne when the Accutane is supposed to be getting rid of it. Does anyone else have trouble with picking while on Accutane? Any ideas how to stop? I get more and more upset every time I do it. I'm almost panicking-- what if my acne will never go away because I can't stop picking and making it worse?

That is a problem. You have to stop picking! haha. I'm different. I won't even touch my face. I have to wash my hands 5-6 times before I even wash my face because I'm scared my dirty hands will cause pimples. I don't know of any thing that can stop you from picking. Have you tried wearing band aids on the ends of you fingers, so it be difficult for you to pick. It might be weird, but if your desperate...

Goodluck!

have to admit I have had sorta the same problem...my skin has just been so itchy/flakey it's been hard NOT to touch it even though I didn't have that problem before accutane! all I can recommend is on 1 of the bookmarked accutane pages it mentions a honey anti-itch healing lotion (if itchiness is your problem)! hope it helps!

I did it too :(

I knew it was bad..... but I did it anyway. So very bad! I don't know why I did it.

Basically, the only one that came to bite me in the ass is a bigger one that I got on my cheek near the end in month 5 or something. I was clear except that so I got rid of it, then kept picking at it. It is now a red mark :doh:

I don't know what to say to get you to stop, since I'm very much guilty of it myself. Good luck though!

Guilty here too. I think I do it because the white scabby part looks more noticable than what's beneath it. (atleast I think so.) The dried chunk seems to feel pretty good when it's being taken off your face. lol.

oh! I forgot to mention though....... once your done accutane and clear..... you have nothing to pick at!!!!

no really, you can look all you want but you'll slowly figure out there's no point and you won't find anything to pick ....... how fricking awesome is THAT? :D

oh! I forgot to mention though....... once your done accutane and clear..... you have nothing to pick at!!!!

no really, you can look all you want but you'll slowly figure out there's no point and you won't find anything to pick ....... how fricking awesome is THAT? :D

Yeah, I am so excited for the day when there is nothing there to pick. In the meantime I just really need to take control of this problem. Since I've been on Accutane, I've probably squeezed and ruptured about three major zits (driving the bacteria deeper into the skin-- not good). I keep writing "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE" on post-it notes and sticking them on my mirror! I wish I could be like that one person who never touches their face....

Here's a method that works well to break most compulsive habits.

Wear a rubber band on your wrist. Every time you catch yourself trying to pick or even to touch your face, snap that rubber band and tell yourself NO like you're a bad puppy. (You can do that part in your head if other people are around or something). Stick with it (first few days are the hardest) and it works like a charm. Eventually you won't need to actually wear the band and can just mentally tell yourself no, and the amount of times you must consciously intervene will become fewer and fewer.

I used to be a compulsive picker, but as soon as I started to notice scars showing up after I picked a pimple that stopped my habit realll quick