Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fusione

I'm confused. 2.5% vs 10%

Now I'm not a chemistry major, but there is some flawed logic going on here.

On one hand the regimen states that using less BP is better (2.5% vs 10%) then it turns around and says to use more bp (generous amounts of 2.5%) Now, call me crazy, but 4ml of 2.5% bp is no different than 1ml of 10% bp mixed with 3ml of aqua based moisturizer.

If someone can explain to me how using 4ml of 2.5% bp is better than using 1ml of 10% bp mixed with 3ml of filler, I'm all ears. :P

Thanks in advance :)

-Jared

Ya know, I understand WHY it makes sense, but I dont really know how to explain it lol.

I guess its just the 10% is too concentrated for your skin to handle, but 2.5% isnt nearly as harsh, so when you put it on, no matter how much, you skin can handle it much better.

i think that 10 percent of concentrated bp can overly dry out ur skin and irritate it causing more breakouts. But i think it really depends on the persons sensitivity

I'd understand that, if 4ml of 10% bp and 4ml of 2.5% were being compared side by side.. the thing is, all that is really being advocated here is the use of more filler (the stuff in bp that is not actually active) which is really nothing. Spreading 10% 1/4 as thick as 2.5% would result in the same amount of bp reaching your skin.

If the filler has some sort of medical benefit, then it seems like it would make sense to take a tube os 10% and mix it with whatever ingrediant is used as the filler (seems like some sort of light moisturizer in my experience) to reduce it's potency to 2.5%, otherwise, a thin coating of 10% is just as effective as a thick coating of 2.5%.

Personnally, I use 10%, but I mix it 1:4 with aveeno moisturizer, and I fail to understand how that is different than 2.5%.

Again, call me crazy :P

I'd understand that, if 4ml of 10% bp and 4ml of 2.5% were being compared side by side.. the thing is, all that is really being advocated here is the use of more filler (the stuff in bp that is not actually active) which is really nothing. Spreading 10% 1/4 as thick as 2.5% would result in the same amount of bp reaching your skin.

If the filler has some sort of medical benefit, then it seems like it would make sense to take a tube os 10% and mix it with whatever ingrediant is used as the filler (seems like some sort of light moisturizer in my experience) to reduce it's potency to 2.5%, otherwise, a thin coating of 10% is just as effective as a thick coating of 2.5%.

Personnally, I use 10%, but I mix it 1:4 with aveeno moisturizer, and I fail to understand how that is different than 2.5%.

Again, call me crazy :P

You do have a good point!

in theory it does make sense, but if u do chemistry like i do, then you'll know that 4ml of 2.5% BP isnt the same as 1ml of 10%

this is because the concentration is different, which means for every certain measurement of BP there is always 10% conentration of bp.

basically, 2.5% will always be 2.5% no matter how much u use.

the same with 10%.

this may sound muddled, but it hard to explain lol.

Again, not a chemistry major here, but I understand the basic principles of dilution.

If I mix 1ml of 10%BP with 3ml of filler (what is that extra 'stuff' in BP gel anyways?) then the result would be a solution containing 2.5% BP.

I'm just skeptical that this filler really provides anything extra that a cheap moisturizer would not.

BP is not acidic or basic, it's an oxidizer, and if we throw some simple math out:

4ml of bp at 2.5% concentration results in 0.1ml of pure bp hitting your face, which has a specific oxidizing power. 3.9ml of filler also hits your face.

1ml of bp at 10% concentration results in 0.1ml of pure bp hitting your face, which has a specific oxidizing power. 0.9ml of filler also hits your face.

The only difference here in this equation is the extra 3ml of filler which is applied when you use 2.5%, so if this filler is causing all the difference everyone seems to be experiencing, then we should find out what it is.. all I know is that it can't be very valuable, because the 10% tube and the 2.5% tubes are the exact same price at my local stores :P.

If someone can give me a good explanation as to why 4ml of 2.5% is better than 1ml of 10% mixed with some moisturizer in my hands before i apply it, then I'll stop asking.. but I'm quite confident that I'm not wrong here. I don't mean to seem to attacking and appologize if that's how it seems. I think what dan has done is great, I just wonder if this part is 100% accurate.

Looking forward to your responses,

-Jared

Actually rethinking that last bit, that they're basically giving away 7.5% more potency for no extra cost, so it seems like the BP is the cheaper part of the product. Must be this magic filler is what actually causes the improvements!

</kidding!!!!>

I really don't know how to explain it, all I can say is many who have started using Dan Kern's Regimen have had excellent results, many who've past used the 10% bp with no luck. Here's what Dan says in his Acne Treatment History

I decided to try what had worked before. It became obvious that benzoyl peroxide was the one medication that always seemed to work, at least somewhat. I went to the store with an open mind and saw "Exact" brand 5% benzoyl peroxide. It claimed something like, "all the effectiveness without all the dryness." I tried it, and my acne lessened. At this point I also added moisturizer to my routine. My skin was extremely dry on Accutane so I got used to using moisturizer every day. For the next couple of years I stuck with twice daily gentle cleansing, 5% benzoyl peroxide, and moisturizer. The zits never subsided completely, but things were better than before.

One day I decided, "What the heck, I am going to use a lot of this 5% benzoyl peroxide. Worst case scenario is I will waste some money." I loaded on probably three times the usual amount, keeping in mind to be gentle with the application. The sheer amount of benzoyl peroxide helped me to apply it even more patiently and gently. My skin cleared up completely within days on my new regimen. I figured it had to be a fluke. But my skin stayed clear, day after day, week after week. It wasn't a fluke.

With further research at the UCSF medical library I learned that 2.5% benzoyl peroxide is just as effective as 5%, so I hesitatingly switched. Just like the medical studies said, my skin stayed clear and was less dry.

As I continued to read success stories that people emailed to me, I decided more people needed to know about it so I bought Acne.org. Continually asking myself how I can help people led me to make a larger size 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and more recently a cleanser and moisturizer. It feels great helping people avoid the aimless experimentation I had to go through for so many years.

Ok, as you said you're not a chemistry wiz ;), Neither am I.

Adding Moisturiser to 10% BP won't lower the concentration it will still be 10% BP plus you've used moisturiser. I don't know the science behind it but I know for a fact that you mixing your 10% BP with Aveeno moisturiser isn't the same as using 2.5% BP. The process isn't as simple as putting products in to a pot and stiring it with a wooden spoon, I imagine things are heated, spun at crazy speeds to break stuff down etc.

Anyhow using loads of 2.5% is different to using a bit of 10%.

I suppose you may be able to add in your own "filler" like moisturizer right before application. I need to learn more about the chemistry myself and I'm doing it slowly, but benzoyl peroxide is very hard to keep stable in a base. Any stable benzoyl peroxide formulation is painstakingly formulated to assure stability. But if you mix a stable 10% benzoyl peroxide formuation with a moisturizer right before applying it, would that work? That's a good question. I would be very careful mixing any BP formulation with any other formulation and letting it sit around however. Too much or too little water when mixed with benzoyl peroxide can cause reactions and loss of BP.