Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Thingie

Giving blood while on Accutane

Ok, I was giving blood today (yay!), and while I was filling out the questionare to find out if I am a qualified donor, I ran a cross a question...

Are you on accutane? (I am of course paraphrasing)

So, I must ask, what effect does Accutane have on the blood that may affect enough to be unuseable? If one is on Accutane, can that person give blood? If not, how soon after treatment can blood be given? (mind you, these are canadian blood donor requirments)

I appreciate any coments given on the subject.

Blood donated while taking Accutane may be given to a pregnant woman and be harmful to her baby, or may be given to a baby/child themself, and again be harmful. Blood donated which is given to people with bad livers, may give them liver damage from the accutane that's in the blood, which has to be processed by the liver.

You must wait one month, after you have stopped roaccutane, to give blood.

Blood donated while taking Accutane may be given to a pregnant woman and be harmful to her baby, or may be given to a baby/child themself, and again be harmful. Blood donated which is given to people with bad livers, may give them liver damage from the accutane that's in the blood, which has to be processed by the liver.

You must wait one month, after you have stopped roaccutane, to give blood.

Regardless of Whether you're in Canada or the UK or the US, you can NOT donate blood on Accutane. This was a big point in all the paperwork we (in the U.S.) had to sign.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Regardless of where you live you aren't allowed to give blood until one month after you finish. All for the same reason why you can't get pregnant. They are constantly making that point with iPLEDGE along with the not getting pregnant thing.

No matter where you live or if you had to sign any paperwork that warned you, DO NOT DONATE BLOOD ON ACCUTANE or for one month afterwards. Your blood might be unknowingly given to a pregnant woman and cause terrible birth defects in her baby.