Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volatile_vixen

Accutane side-effects and oily skin

I've been on an anti-biotic for more then a year, and I have yet to see a freakin result. My grandmother doesn't want me to go on accutane because she said she's afraid of the side-effects. What's the worse that could happen?

Does it help with oily skin? No matter what moisturizer I use, my skin is always oily, my pores are huge, and I have blackhead things everywhere. I'm so tired of my derm. putting me on the same crap every time I go. I'm not paying her to tell me that there's not much I can do with my "permanently enlarged pores" and blackheads. I've been using Retin-a (the highest amount) for a few months, and my skin has only gotten worse. I'm at my wits end. It's gotten to the point where my self-esteem is preventing me from doing things I used to be excited about. Like anchoring our school's TV show, presenting projects in class. I've had acne since the FIFTH GRADE. And I'm tired of it holding my personality back. I've been on Retin-a, Differin, Claron, Benzoyl Peroxide (for my chest and back) and not much has changed. In fact, I get pimples EVERY DAY! I used to break out once a month, but I always had oily skin, enlarged pores, and black heads, but HARDLY any pimples at all. Now I get them every day.

I'm thinking accutane is my only hope. Unless the side effects are really that terrible...I'm willing to try anything once. Please, any suggestions? Anything at all.

i know what you mean, i had (have kinda) oily skin.

accutane does stop 99% of oil production so your skin will be bone dry lol

thing is, i tried everything for oily skin, then i was given zineryt by my derm, and this seemed to work for my oily skin:)

Last year I used to have pretty oily skin and many breakouts too. My derm put me on Accutane and after a month my face was dry even 6 hours after washing it. I say 7 hours cause it's the time from when I washed it in the morning and when I came back home, and my make up was prefect, no need of touch up and put extra pressed powder...it was heaven!

I mean after the first month I could even wash my hair once a week or once every 10 days, cause they were excactly the same as just washed (before I used to have to wash them once every other day!!). After 1-2 months the oil production is come back again, but less than a half! It was just perfct to keep my face moisturized (though I used moisturizer anyway, cause my face wash dried it a bit) and it wouldn't be oily at all...no need for powder!

For the side effects, you'll get dry lips and some muscles pain, but it's all VERY beareble, in particular when you see it's working.. It extremely rare to get some other side effects like less vision in the night and worse problem, and they go away as you stop, so if you should get those (but then again, it's EXTREMELY rare) you can immediately get off of Accutane...

I was afraid of it too, but really the most I got were dry lips and back pain, and it was soooo worth it I can't even explain.

Best of luck, and tell your grandmother what I told you, and that it would make you happy...

I'm sure she will be releved to hear the side effects are nothing compared to the real effects you will get.

Accutane does have the potential for some nasty side effects, even fatal ones, however the serious ones are very rare. But, taking it is a gamble and there is always the possibility that you will wind up on the losing end of those statistics. Other than that, there are common minor side effects that almost everyone gets which are related to the dryness it causes, and of course it's most serious side effect is that if a fetus is exposed to it in the womb during early development it can cause terrible birth defects. This can be avoided by strict birth control measures which must be taken very seriously.