Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sea Of Booze

The First Day of The Rest of My Life.

Well my day has come.. my name has finally been called..

I started tane today. (12/07/2006)

Didn't cost me as much as I thought it would (Thank God)

It's going to be $93 each month. Which is not that bad.

I will probably update this every few days or so (or unless I experience something new).

I'm starting off taking 20mg a day and will move up to 20mg 2x a day in a month.

I'll post pictures of my progress as soon as I see some lol (hopefully I do!)

A little about my acne history:

I've always had oily skin since I can remember. At about age 12: I started getting a few pimples here and there on my nose. So young, I didn't think anything of it. Age 13: Started noticing I had clogged pores on my cheeks. Shortly after I started getting very small pimples all around those clogged pores. As I got older it kept getting worse and worse. I have always been a pretty handsome kid so the slight acne didn't bother me (it should of!)

By the time I was 16 I had mild-moderate acne. I went to the derm, got prescribed Differen gel. I used it for about 2 months and didnt see any results so I threw it away. (YES; YOUNG, DUMB, IMMATURE & IMPATIENT) But now I wish I would of stayed on it!!!!!

Anyways the spots kept comming consistantly and remained untreated. I had myself convinced I would grow out of it soon but that day never came around.

By the time I noticed it wasn't going away on its own, I was 20yrs old and when I looked in the mirror I saw shallow scars all over my cheeks. Thats when I decided enough was enough and went back to the derm (Jan '06). He put me on Retin-A and Minocyclin. That worked for 2 months and started breaking out again. He switched me from Minocyclin to Solodyn, but no dice. That was when I read around the org and saw all of the Accutane boasters and success stories so when I got back to the derm I asked him about it. He told me he didn't prescribe it. That was all I needed to hear. I was determined to get on tane so I switched derms to one who did prescribe it. As soon as I went to my first app. with him he offered it right away.

This is where I am now. I am keeping this as a momento for myself but feel free to follow along.

Day 1 : Month 0, Week 1

Just popped my first pill.

Skin: 3 active spots on each side of my face, 4 tiny bumps on my forehead

Side Effects: None (obviously lol)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a lot of you guys in the lounge and around the org so I'm saying Hi everyone!

In case any of you didn't know, my real name is Dan. Nice to meet you! I hope I get to know you all better! You'll def see me around a lot! Wish me luck everyone!

Sea Of Booze, what a sad acne history.

I wish you GOOD LUCK!

Fight with the spots until you WIN.

Stay Strong!

Thanks bro!

I will fight until the bitter end I promise. IPB Image

My derm too had me on Minocyclin, but he had me use Duac Gel for my face. I was clear for a month or two as well but it came back I hated using the Duac because it would make my face sticky and it was hard to sleep cause my face would stick to my pillow lol.

Hopefully accutane works for the both of us!

Good luck!!!

:dance: We are acne.org bros!

IPB Image

Which reminds me... I can't drink for 6 months! :doubt::shock:

I hated using the Duac because it would make my face sticky and it was hard to sleep cause m face ould stick to my pillow lol.

Hopefully accutane works for the both of us!

Good luck!!!

LOL @ pillow

Thanks, goodluck to you too!

My father always tells me, "Half of curing yourself of anything is first believing you will get better."

So lets keep our heads up and let it do its job! f*ck acne! =]

Just saw that you are from South Florida (I am also) and wanted to say hi and wish you luck! I just started Accutane myself on 12/1. Fingers crossed!

Good luck, clear skin is on it's way!

You don't have to totally skip the booze, but just be careful and not overdue it. There is lots of discussions on this board about it.

Good luck! We're now like brother in arms or something... I'm experiencing my first break out right now q.q, probably because of 1) the weather 2) I've stopped BP not too long ago 3) and then maybe because of accutane too.

hey! good luck.. i'm on day 8 and going through my initial breakout period so it's tough. hang in there though! and please please pleaes make sure you get your blood tests each month, i keep reading ppl's logs that arent getting their blood tested. i had a very similar acne history to you... kept thinking it'd just go away, and being a girl i was able to cover it with makeup anyway. but on my 20th birthday looked in the mirror and saw the scars and i actually started weeping and went straight to the dermatologist. i think it started at age 12 too. anyways... good luck with this all! we'll be here to support you and you can always look at my log to see where i'm at/where you're possibly gonna be a week from whatever point you're at.

here's to clear skin for both of us! how many mg are you on per day?

Thanks for the support everyone!

I appreciate it! :wavey:

hey! good luck.. i'm on day 8 and going through my initial breakout period so it's tough. hang in there though! and please please pleaes make sure you get your blood tests each month, i keep reading ppl's logs that arent getting their blood tested. i had a very similar acne history to you... kept thinking it'd just go away, and being a girl i was able to cover it with makeup anyway. but on my 20th birthday looked in the mirror and saw the scars and i actually started weeping and went straight to the dermatologist. i think it started at age 12 too. anyways... good luck with this all! we'll be here to support you and you can always look at my log to see where i'm at/where you're possibly gonna be a week from whatever point you're at.

here's to clear skin for both of us! how many mg are you on per day?

hey.. i dont think its the accutane doing that to you. i have a problem thinking everything that happens to me is cuz of accutane, lol..but ppl keep reminding me that its not. day 4 i think is when i started having side effects..the first thing i had was kind of like a sunburn yet it wasnt from the sun, but it went away quickly. and umm what i have so far is: 8 new pimples, crazy initial breakout it hurts like crazy, DRYNESS of my face first, then came the lips, and now the eyes and nose, constipation :(, some weird random muscle pains that last a couple seconds, some sort of rash thing that comes and goes, and a litttttle bit of back pain. i hope it stays at that ... ill post stuff up on my log if anything else happens. ok so do you have all your stuff? you may not need it yet but you will soon so I suggest stocking up whenever you get the chance.

1) non-comedogenic face moisturizer with spf (i use cetaphil)

2) non-soap gentle face cleanser (i use Purpose)

3) aloe vera gel (helps soooooo much with the redness when you start getting the fake sunburn thing)

4) sulfur / benzoyl peroxide / some on the spot treatment thing for ur initial breakout pimples cause those things are HUGE and ull need to dry them out ( i use proactiv refining mask with sulfur)

5) fish oil supplements and vitamin E supplements are optional, some people take them and some don't. i haven't started but i've been meaning to, supposedly they help with joint pain and/or something to reduce toxicity...i'm not sure.

6) body moisturizer

7) lip moisturizer (i use carmex... u cud also use vaseline or aquaphor)

8) eye drops for if ur eyes get dry (i use visine)

ok! lol... my friend got me like a packet of all that stuff when i started so it was kind of nice... u should make something like that for yourself it'll be really convenient when the side effects start coming cause trust me it happens faaaast..

goodnight :)

wow lara you started having side effects really early..

was you on any regimen before you started tane?

&&dont worry i am stocked up :whistle:

i've already had EVERYTHING you named on that list since day one :razz: lol

but yeah i did a lot of research about accutane before i worked up the courage to ask for it..

so i knew what i was getting myself into

Day 7 : Month 0, Week 2

I still haven't taken today's pill.. it is 3:45am and am going to sleep now and I won't take it until I wake up..

but

Skin: Oil on my face went down a little :dance: ; and 3 active bumps

Side Effects: [Just earlier today] I noticed my lips were SLIGHTLY starting to dry out

It now seems like my pimples are healing faster for some reason :D:D

I have only had 1 small bump rise up on my forehead [which isn't bad] since i've started tane and I know it's still kind of early to say anything, but I HOPE I CAN SKIP MY IB THAT WOULD BE EFF*N AWESOME.

Expecially since I am entertianing company this weekend.. If I do get it, I pray that it is atleast after sunday. :pray:

Has anyone else been fortunate enough to skip the IB?

hello hun, just wanted to say good luck on your course. i've just been upped to 20mg i'm on day 28. i'll keep checking ur posts to see how you do. my acne started when i was about 11-13 cant remember but then got better at 16 but then came back very worse just b4 i turned 18...a year and a half later and i still have acne. :( have so many up and down days but i've learned to cope with it now so am on accutane and just cant wait to see the results. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry1553285 thats my link to my accutane log. best wishes, chazzy from uk

I skipped the IB. I was using differin up until I started the accutane, so that helped ALOT with clearing up my skin before the tane.

I hope you dont get an IB as well! Good luck!

hey dan :). so im praying for u about sunday. i just put up week2 pics today, it's kind of interesting to see where you've come from ... my IB really isn't as bad as it could be though, so i'm thinking that's pretty much as bad as you'll get IF you get it at all..

anyway thanks for substituting lightheadedness instead of wooziness lol... i dont even know where i got that word from lol.

i was on doxycycline for a month before accutane cuz my derm said that'd help with the IB... and honestly i guess 5 new and big pimples isn't too bad? i don't know what would have happened had i not used that so i dont even know if it was effective...but a friend of mine used doxy before tane too and it didn't seem to help her much either...

anyway, hope you have a wonderful day, i'm going to the library to stick my head in my books all day. story of my lifeeeeeee i hate finals :rolleyes:

-lara

chaz - thanks! good luck to you too! i will also keep checking up on your progress as we keep going further along our courses.. :)

acneprincess - i'm so glad to hear that! it makes me feel somewhat more confident knowing that someone else has skipped their IB.. i was on retin-a-micro (retinoid similar to differin) for 8 months before i started tane and i already had one IB, i wouldnt want another one! thanks for sharing though!

tenyears - hola lara :D. thanks for the support! ya i saw your new pics today and your face doesn't look bad at all.. you're still so pretty! and your IB will go away reaal soon i know it.

ya i had to call a timeout and make a word substitution because i felt like we were overusing "wooziness" and i was like -uhh there has to be some other word we can use lol- :think:

have a great day hun and i wish you the best of luck on your finals!! they suck but atleast i already took mines, i hope i did good! :shifty:

Day 11

Skin: No new breakouts.. THANK GOD. :dance: The ones that I did have are fading fast. + the oil level still going down slowly.

Side-Effects: Lips are still drying out and I had a few leg pains yesterday.. but that's it.

OMG I can't believe I haven't been breaking out! I don't wanna jinx myself but I hope this keeps up! I hope I really did skip the IB and can just STOP breaking out from this point on. I know the chances of that are close-to-none but I can dream can't I?

I'm also really happy that the oilslick that once was my face is starting to come under control. I mean I used to look at my reflection and see a glisten off of my face.. now it's actually not that bad. =)

This is how oily my face started: |-----+-----x|

& Now it's here: |-----+--x---|

I consider that making progress!!!

I have my docs appointment tomorrow and i'm going to ask him about doubling my dosage up to 40mg a day.

20mg a day will take foreverr and I don't want that.

But than again.. if i double my dosage I guess I would get more side-effects. Wouldn't I?:think:

woohoo abt the oiliness. i just wrote abt the same thing in my log lol. i HATE oil. and it'll just get better :)

i hope uve skipped the IB! but just so you know, when you upp the dosage you'll probably get some newbies... that's what happeend with everybody ive talked to thats done that ...so dont be too disappointed if that happens, remember...this is for the long term.

lara- double woohoo for the oilyness lol. and yeah i know this is for the long run dear, im being patient. i cant wait to have clear skin though! (hopefully) but about the IB.. read this:

Day 15 : Month 0, Week 3

Side Effects: Nada

Skin: About 6 new breakouts. Those fuckers. A few white heads too. I can feel my face purging.

So if I thought I was on of the lucky ones who skipped the IB I was wrong. I broke out again. Pretty sure those are from my IB because it's a pretty big breakout even though it's not too bad.

I have one bump on my right temple, two on my forehead, two on the bottom of my left cheek, and one on my neck.

They are not to big but it's just annoying and it's pissing me off. Stupid fucking acne undermines my appearance.

Ehh wateve i'll survive.

Oh I went to the derm today. He told me that I am going to be taking my second blood test next week.. And than I have another appointment a week after that so if all goes well with the test he is going to up my dosage next time I see him. He said that all seems to be going smoothly so far.. and I agree.

honeyyyyyy,

i'm so sorry. :( it'll pass. whatever you do don't touch them... and are you going to be using a topical? if you are, help me out here cause i don't like what i'm using and i need suggestions. welcome to the IB-ers.. at least you're more like me now, and that's never a bad thing ;)

and

Stupid fucking acne undermines my appearance.