Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zazi

Harmony Pixel Laser - My personal experience

:boohoo: Any who read some of my other threads on my situation with mild acne scarring, and extremely clogged pores and crepey skin will recall that i was at my wits end some months ago....

Facials, IPL and microdermabrasion did not help... Infact i think if i had saved all that money i could have bought my own Harmony Pixel laser machine :razz:

ANYWAY....

To cut the long tragic story short, 10 days ago i tried the harmney pixel laser for the first time.

I'll just repeat again what my problems were:

Primary Problem -

clogged, congested skin with open pores and tiny hard lumps on the jaw line.

Secondary Problem -

Mild acne scarring on temples and middle of cheeks (just a few here). By mild i mean that it was noticeable but not terrible and i think people with severe acne would think i am very very lucky. I do have one or two rolling scars on each cheek.

Miscellaneous concerns -

slight discoloration around mouth, uneven skin tone.

10 Days post treatment number 1:

Primary problems -

skin is much clearer, about 40% of the tiny hard bumps on my jaw line have disappeared, my open pores are still open but the pores on my forhead are much clearer, and the pores on the side of my face near the ears are also much clearer. I used some pore strips yesterday and everything came out very easily and i feel my skin is less oily lately. Texture is much better too.

Secondary problem -

The mild acne scarring on my cheeks is a fraction less noticeable. No change to the rolling scars. The scarring on my temples, which is pretty much the same for everyone, flat and shallow has almost completely gone!!!!! I woke up this morning and couldn't believe it! That was the main reason i thought i better write this post.

Miscellaneous Concerns -

i am still patchy but the the patchyness is slowly going away and the darkness around my mouth is fading.

This is all 10 days post first treatment.

I will take some pics today and then keep updating them as i go along.

I expect at this rate i will need another 3 - 4 sessions to get the results that i want.

Sessions have to be 3 - 4 weeks apart so updates will take a while.

For those of you who don't know the harmony pixel is very similar to the fraxel but it is MUCH cheaper because the head of the laser does not need to be replaced like the fraxel one. From what i've read the Pixel gives about 70-80% of the results of the fraxel however it is about 1/4 the price per session.

Interesting. I am waiting to get fraxel. There is not a thread on pixel yet. I dont see why it wouldnt be just as good as fraxel. Same technology for the most part.

http://acne.about.com/od/laserandlighttrea...armonypixel.htm

yeah that's right. my dr said that he was just on the brink of getting the fraxel when he was told by someone else that the pixel was better because there are no replaceable parts and therefor the costs are cheaper....

infact where i am , the pixel costs as much as one ipl treatment used to cost.

i think there may be some difference in how deep the pixel goes but .... i think for mild to moderate cases like me it's a better/cheaper option.

it hurts like hell for an hour afterwards though. the pain peaks at around 45-60 minutes post treatment and the starts to subside. you feel like you've got the worst sunburn ever!

I am now 2 weeks post 2nd treatment

and i have to say that this rocks for anyone with mild scarring

pores are looking better

and 100% of the bumps under my skin on my jaw line are gone!!!

everyone has commented that i look much better

still dealing with a bit of melasma etc....

but its doing good!

thanks i didn't know this was out there. i was going to get a fraxel this month but for a $1000 for a treatment i will go with the pixel if there is one in my city.

i don't know if you had wrinkles but if you did, did it help with that or would it.

I've been following the Pixel laser and its uses closely. The main reason I didnot want to try the Fraxel is because of the reusable tip, especially after some people have bled after the treatment, I just could not bring myself to do it.

Of course, I've been really bummed because from what I can see, many people have had great results!

So, for the rest of us, I'm hoping for Pixel.

So, I live in NY and I"ve been trying to find a dr. who carries the Pixel Laser.

I called the manufacturer Alma and begged the representative to give me the name of a NY practitioner. He was reluctant but did give me the name of 2. He also said that there are many in NY. I just don't know how to figure that out; for once, googling was no help.

So, he came up with Dr. John Farella and Bruce Katz (JUVA.)

Just on a side note: I called Katz's office and the receptionist said that a consultation would cost $450! NON-REFUNDABLE!

I hung up on her. I was so furious. He's just a parasite! A parasite who does carry the Pixel, unfortunately.

So, I"ll make an appointment during Spring Break and start my treatments. IN the meantime, I'm going to do more research. Maybe, we can start a Pixel thread--for the rest of us.

As for Zazi, you're our hope now...please, please keep us posted.

I posted on the Scar Treatment forum about my treatments with the Pixel laser.

It works the same as the Fraxel.

My dermatologist has the Alma laser and I am charged $300.00 per treatment (cheaper buying a package, but I can't plunk down the whole amount at once, so....) which is not bad for a small town dermatologist.

I've also had heavy duty TCA peels and believe me, the Pixel is a piece of cake in comparison to the pain and recovery!

I discovered the harmony pixel after my derm recommended it when 6 treatments of microderm had done nothing for me and I was beginning to feel very low. I have mild acne scarring to the cheeks (mostly small ice pick scars), which to some might seem slight but to me it is the bane of my life.

I am now 2 weeks post second treatment with the pixel and so far results are not astonishing but still quite good. My skin tone and texture has improved and the pores on my cheeks are now noticabely smaller. I cannot say that the scars to my cheeks have greatly improved but they are certainly flatter and appear to have shrunk a little in diametre. I am told that 5 sessions are recommended for maximum effect so I will post again over the next few weeks as my course of treatments progress. If anyone out there is currently considering Fraxel please look into the harmony pixel as it is said to be just as effective and a fraction of the cost.

google 'erbium pixel laser'

Anyone know of a derm here in Philly area that does this pixel laser? I cancelled my appt

locally for an IPL (Intense Pulse laser). Someone wrote that it is good for pore reduction

but didn't claim to have had the treatment himself. Then on another site ( I just went under

IPL reviews and found someone who ended up with discolored skin.) They were very upset so

I cancelled my appt. It was a cheap cost (350.00) but I decided I am not into anything

that could end up ruining my skin. I had also seen girls in my dermatologist's office who had it

for "wrinkles and sun damage" but I noticed their skin looked grayish even after 6 months.

I didn't really think about it until I read the bad review on line and I see now why they looked

that way!!!!

Bump

Any pixel veterans still around?

I have been reading this thread about the Alma Harmony Pixel with interest as I am just starting up a medical laser spa and I am deciding between the Harmony and another laser system right now. I have been quite impressed with the Harmony. It is a fractionated erbium laser. The more "stacks" in one spot the deeper it treats, however it becomes more painful the deeper it goes. The best way to make it tolerable is to have an air chiller (a Zimmer cooler) to the skin immediately before on high, then turn it down to low during the treatment (Can't have it on high during the treatment because of the plume of smoke from the laser needs to be evacuated, not blown away). The other thing to do is have your doctor apply a thin layer of generic emla cream to the skin immediately after to numb the skin (also a topical antibiotic cream and a generic hydrocortisone cream are a good idea). Good Luck!

I had the Pixel procedure done about 19 days ago. I had a great experience. First, I can't rave enough about the doctor. I went to see Dr. Seema Patel in Philadelphia. I used the Amtract and paid an extra $200 to travel from NY to see her. It was absolutely worth it. I have never met such a wonderful doctor. She truly cared how I felt. She took the time out to listen to me and to be honest with me. Her manner was amazing. Indescribable. I don't like to visit doctors but she is the exception. In fact, meeting her was teh best part of the whole affair.

I cannot, cannot recommend her more highly. You can check her out on youtube. Usually, I don"t recommend doctors, but she was incredible. If you have to save up to see her, DO IT...

As for the procedure itself. I felt NO PAIN. I couldn't believe it. Now, I've had the Cool Touch. The Cool Touch pain is a 10. IT was painful. This procedure was a 1. NO Pain. I took an Advil the night before and she gave me one before the procedure.

I couldn't believe how easy this was.

Now the bad part. No way does it only take 2-3 days to recover. I needed 10 before I felt presentable to the public.

My skin itched, scabbed and then peeled. I have to say that waiting to peel was the worst part. that's probably how lizards fee.

However, in all honesty, days 1-3 were the toughest. My face did swell and I had to apply a heavy, moisturizer. I don't think others would be bothered by this, but it felt uncomfortable to keep putting the moisturizer on to not itch and to certainly keep the skin moist.

I missed my zit cream. Obviously, I'm just complaining. After all, it's just moisturizing of the face; it's nothing major.

As for improvements. I was told that I should wait at least 2 months and then I will have a second pixel. I feel that the light scars on my left side (the ones that I see in the bathroom with that horrid light) is better. Some of them may actually have faded; however, my deep scars, no improvement. Again, remember it's only been about 19 days and I've had only one treatment.

I definitely plan on going for a 2nd and a 3rd (maybe even fourth). I think this procedure will bring results. :dance:

Again, more than anything else, I just have to recommend Dr. Patel. A better doctor I have never seen. Her manner is so peaceful, soothing, calming...it's amazing. I've got to say that coming from me this is quite the compliment since I"m jaded and hate doctors. I have certainly warned readers away from Narins and Franks.

This doctor is a gem.

By the way, her staff called me a couple days later to see how I was doing! :angel:

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING?

They really cared about how I was doing! She is amazing. Worth the trip.

Anyone know of a derm here in Philly area that does this pixel laser? I cancelled my appt

locally for an IPL (Intense Pulse laser). Someone wrote that it is good for pore reduction

but didn't claim to have had the treatment himself. Then on another site ( I just went under

IPL reviews and found someone who ended up with discolored skin.) They were very upset so

I cancelled my appt. It was a cheap cost (350.00) but I decided I am not into anything

that could end up ruining my skin. I had also seen girls in my dermatologist's office who had it

for "wrinkles and sun damage" but I noticed their skin looked grayish even after 6 months.

I didn't really think about it until I read the bad review on line and I see now why they looked

that way!!!!

Please read my review.

OH, MY GoD. Read my post above. I 10000% recommend Dr. Seema Patel!!! She's in PHilly. You can google her on youtube to see her do the pixel procedure.

You must see her. She will blow your mind...

I just had my first pixel with her..she is amazing

You will not regret it. I traveled from NY to see her and trust me I've had some horrible experience with NY doctors.

This doctor was so different. She actually cared and listened to me.

Her staff called me at home to see how I was recuperating. I couldn't believe it!

brookeeugogirl,

i've actually saw some of her clips on youtube and was interested in getting pixel done there. can you pm me with the costs of each session?

Zazi - it sounds like we have similar concerns. Most of my "scars" are actually hyperpigmentation, which is actually not as bad in some ways as actual scarring.

I have the congested skin and oily t-zone and I get those little bumps on the jawline. I have most of my very mild scarring around the chin/jaw line and then I have hyperpigmentation spots on my cheeks.

I have relieved most of the chronic congestion with oil cleansing - castor oil works best for me. But, I have light "ethnic" skin, and I don't think I could try this pixel lazer due to my PIH issue. I will look it up, but I would love to hear if any darker skin types here have tried it. I am going to get the PPX treatment (Isolaz is the new version, but everyone in my area still has the PPX) in a week or so and I am exited about that.

brookeeugogirl,

i've actually saw some of her clips on youtube and was interested in getting pixel done there. can you pm me with the costs of each session?

I paid $650 for a full face treatment and it was full face. She even did my nose and under my chin. So far, it's past day 21 now and I have seen improvements. Check out the post below.

So, I just wanted to give an update. I'm probably past day 21 now. I want to be very cautious and careful with what I say because I know what false hope is for acne scar sufferers.

Okay, I have seen a definite improvement in my pores. They are almost invisible and when I use Pore Minimizer, it is amazing. This has changed the overall texture of my skin. It does not look rough, oily and unhealthy. This has made a really big difference.

I have seen an improvement in the shallow scars (especially on my left cheek.) Some of them, in some light--the harshest that have bothered me--has faded. Now these were shallow scars, almost like shadows under the skin that looked terrible under harsh dressing room lights. Now, these have improved or have disappeared.

On my right cheek I had these small, linear scars that when combined looked like two parallell lines down my cheek. They made it look sunken and depressed and looked like craters almost. One of these lines has almost faded and in the improvement in harsh lights is amazing. This is an absolute improvement because my skin is starting to look NORMAL!

I keep looking at this area in the worst light and everytime, no matter how skeptical I am, it still looks better. I can't say percentages but to be conservative, I'd say at least 40%.

Now the bad news: for my actual scars, pitted, there has been no conceivable improvement. I have one indentation the size of my pinky finger and it has not budged. However, because the rest of skin looks better, I really am not that bothered by it.

I may have had improvements on two dented, pitted scar on my left upper cheek but I can't say with certainity so I'm not going to mislead.

Let me tell you however that I WILL BE RUNNING TO MY NEXT TREATMENT. For me, this is the best results I've ever had. I've had Cool Touch and chemical peels and CROSS and maybe all of those things have helped because my scars weren't bad; my scars were like a 4.

This treatment, WITHOUT DOUBT, has been the most positive for me.

Remember, I've had only one treatment and that was like, 21 (?) days ago...

brookeeugogirl,

I paid $650 for a full face treatment and it was full face. She even did my nose and under my chin. So far, it's past day 21 now and I have seen improvements. Check out the post below.

Hi Brook,

I have been reading your experiences.......and I was wondering since your doctor Seema is so nice if you can ask her a question about doing the pixel on someone Indian with a darker skin tone. I have heard that it can leave darker patches and since we are talking about the face - cheeks I am really scared about that. Someone at a med spa told me that the darker areas can stay for several months post treatment. And that they would give me hyroqounin to use which i also heard is not safe. Anyway one more thing is that I only have 3 dents on one cheek and 2 or the other and this med spa wanted to do the whole cheek from under my eye down to my chin. I was wondering can a small area, just the scarred area be done? why suffer more than i have to.........I am so nervous about all this I cancelled my treatments all together. Also If anyone who has an olive complexsion that has had this done please also reply. Waiting......

thanks

brookeeugogirl,

Hi Brook,

I have been reading your experiences.......and I was wondering since your doctor Seema is so nice if you can ask her a question about doing the pixel on someone Indian with a darker skin tone. I have heard that it can leave darker patches and since we are talking about the face - cheeks I am really scared about that. Someone at a med spa told me that the darker areas can stay for several months post treatment. And that they would give me hyroqounin to use which i also heard is not safe. Anyway one more thing is that I only have 3 dents on one cheek and 2 or the other and this med spa wanted to do the whole cheek from under my eye down to my chin. I was wondering can a small area, just the scarred area be done? why suffer more than i have to.........I am so nervous about all this I cancelled my treatments all together. Also If anyone who has an olive complexsion that has had this done please also reply. Waiting......

thanks

My doctor is Indian and she has darker skin tone. She performs the Pixel on dark skin. If you look at the original pamphlet on Pixel, one of the subjects was an Indian man wiht dark skin. I was nervous about the procedure because I have darker skin too. It was the reason why I wanted someone who knows how to deal with dark skin expecially considering pigmentation.

I saw NO pigmentary changes. Remember, however, I stayed literally 10 days in the house (out of direct sunlight) and when I did start going out I used an SPF 30 with active ingredients of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

I did not pick or peel at the peeling skin (even though there were brown, track patterns on my face.) I waited to make it drop off on its own. I followed the aftercare directions that I had posted in this thread (to Hatethyself). I too was nervous but I am so, so happy that I did it. I can honestly say it was because I trusted my doctor.

By the way, I heard the same thing that you did about hydroquin and pigmentation patches and it scared me but then I realized that the doctor had no clue about what he was doing. Because he didn't know, he was going to give me all of these crazy scenarios.

The most important decision for me was to have the procedure done by someone who is competent. If you go to youtube and do a search on pixel laser and even dr. seema patel, you will see her doing the procedure. By the way, she was doing the procedure on an African-American man. Obviously, it is well-tolerated on dark skins too.

Just choose someone who knows how to handle dark skins.