Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MXracer

Am I a canidate for Accutane?

I've been on some form of acne treatment for the past 5 years, from bottom to top in terms of strength with the exception of accutane. For the last 4 months i've been using the strongest solution of Retin-A (0.1%), 100mg Minocycline daily and Clindamycin. It's been a rough road but my acne is mild, yet I still get 3-4 new zits a day and sometimes they're painful ones. On top of that I have horriblr cracking and flaking of my skin, my entire face will be peeling and i've been on this stuff for months. I moisturize and use the correct amount, i'm at a loss here.

Basically, with some of the stronger meds available i'm still not seeing the results I was hoping for and am getting some bad side effects I wasn't looking for. I was recently offered Accutane by my doctor, and I was thinking of taking it. Do I sound like a good canidate at all or should I stick with what I have?

I would do it in a heartbeat. Years of constantly worrying about your face is ridiculous. I should know. I started Accutane 20 days ago. Its not an easy road but it will be worth it in the end.

Sounds kind of like me. I've had acne since I was about 9 or 10 years old - I'm almost 20 now and I've tried Diane 35, Tetracyclin, Benzamycin, some other "mycin" llol... I'm just tired and I want nice skin before acne eats it all away with scars.

So, I went to the derm and he wrote a perscription right away. Your best bet is to go to see a derm. But it sounds to me like you're a pretty good candidate.

Sounds kind of like me. I've had acne since I was about 9 or 10 years old - I'm almost 20 now and I've tried Diane 35, Tetracyclin, Benzamycin, some other "mycin" llol... I'm just tired and I want nice skin before acne eats it all away with scars.

So, I went to the derm and he wrote a perscription right away. Your best bet is to go to see a derm. But it sounds to me like you're a pretty good candidate.

I agree - my acne was mild to moderate, but it was persistent. Nothing else worked.

Good luck!

I've been on some form of acne treatment for the past 5 years, from bottom to top in terms of strength with the exception of accutane. For the last 4 months i've been using the strongest solution of Retin-A (0.1%), 100mg Minocycline daily and Clindamycin. It's been a rough road but my acne is mild, yet I still get 3-4 new zits a day and sometimes they're painful ones. On top of that I have horriblr cracking and flaking of my skin, my entire face will be peeling and i've been on this stuff for months. I moisturize and use the correct amount, i'm at a loss here.

Basically, with some of the stronger meds available i'm still not seeing the results I was hoping for and am getting some bad side effects I wasn't looking for. I was recently offered Accutane by my doctor, and I was thinking of taking it. Do I sound like a good canidate at all or should I stick with what I have?

I went through something similar...for 20 years. Medications helped (some better than others), but nothing completely cleared me...and stoppping meds the acne returned.

I started accutane a few months ago....wish I had done it sooner.

I come from the same background. Mild acne but persistent. All other meds would help but only for a few months. The meds never actually stopped my acne, just only reduce it the number of zits. Take it!

The same doctor that was first reluctant to prescribe it to you because of his association with your father?

Definitely do it. Like others who have responded, I have been in the same boat - mild/moderate but PERSISTENT and HIGHLY AGGRIVATING. Assuming you have normal side effects (dry skin, lips, eyes, and possibly benign transient high blood lipids), it is totally worth it.

The same doctor that was first reluctant to prescribe it to you because of his association with your father?

The very same haha. With only a slight improvement in my complexion after many appointments I think he's getting a bit more anxious to fix my problem any way he can.