Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boots

Initial Breakout

ok people im on DAY 6 (perhaps i should start my own log hmm)

I got my initial breakout about 2 days ago. its three spots of cystic acne..they arent bothering me that much because i know it will go away..however, i was wondering how long did YOUR IB last??

I've heard IB's lasting as long as the 4th month, I myself got mine about 2 weeks in and it's finally slowly starting to go away at month 3. The long journey will definitely be worth it though so try to live your life like you would without acne.

I got my initial breakout about 2 days ago. its three spots of cystic acne..they arent bothering me that much because i know it will go away..however, i was wondering how long did YOUR IB last??

all three times I've take it, IB lasted started between 1-2 weeks, ended about 2 weeks later. Bottom line, I was getting pretty clear by 1 month.

I've heard IB's lasting as long as the 4th month, I myself got mine about 2 weeks in and it's finally slowly starting to go away at month 3. The long journey will definitely be worth it though so try to live your life like you would without acne.

So far i am trying to be as positive as possible. Thank you for the words of encouragement. :hand: 4 months of IB (tries to think positive thoughts haha)

all three times I've take it, IB lasted started between 1-2 weeks, ended about 2 weeks later. Bottom line, I was getting pretty clear by 1 month.

Im hoping i will get clear in a month...because seems like the IB started pretty quickly. I am only taking the medication once every other day bc thats what my derm wants me to do. Im on day 6 and already pretty clear except for these big c's that came for a visit...anyway only time will tell.

Im hoping i will get clear in a month...because seems like the IB started pretty quickly. I am only taking the medication once every other day bc thats what my derm wants me to do. Im on day 6 and already pretty clear except for these big c's that came for a visit...anyway only time will tell.

I also encourage you to get those cysts injected. When I started accutane, I set it up with my doc. so he's fit me in for injections when I needed them during IB. Only a couple of times in the IB 2 week period, then done.

I also encourage you to get those cysts injected. When I started accutane, I set it up with my doc. so he's fit me in for injections when I needed them during IB. Only a couple of times in the IB 2 week period, then done.

I am starting accutane tomorrow. I have always experienced cystic acne, but have never had injections. You may think this is a silly question, but when should you get an injection and what do the injections help with?

Theres no set time table. I wouldn't say the IB itself can last for 4 months. An IB if when you have a bad breakout from accutane. So when someone says an IB can last up to month 4, that doesn't mean you'll have bad break outs nonstop til the 4th month, it means you'll have an IB and your acne wont stop fully til the 4th month. I had a few bad breakouts, they cleared up only to breakout again up until the final month. I felt it took me a long time to respond well to the medicine. I read alot of accutane reveiws on this site and so many people said their acne got worse for the 1st month then cleared up by the 3rd.. Anyway it took my up until my final month to stop beakin out, but im now 5 months post tane exactly today, and No more acne and all is good. So just hang in there.

There have been alot of posts on here about IB's. I say why worry about an IB? Let your face breakout as much as it wants to because in 5 months thats it, over and clear skin. So let IB's come and go because they aren't staying around forever, in 5 months its all gone.

And thats alot better than having acne for longer.

I am starting accutane tomorrow. I have always experienced cystic acne, but have never had injections. You may think this is a silly question, but when should you get an injection and what do the injections help with?

Not a silly question. Over the (many) years, I've had literally dozens of injectcions (like 50 or more). The following is based on my personal experience and what I've read about the med.

The injection is called an "intralesional" injection. It is usually with a dilute cortisone solution (brand name Kenelog), through a very thin needle. The technique is to inject the medicine into the cyst, trying to get near the actual pore that is causing the cyst. This can be tricky some times. Sometimes a couple of injections will be given into the cyst to be sure to cover it completely. Sometimes the doctor has to press on the cyst to figure out where the "origin" pore is. Sometimes, the doc. will use the needle to open up the pore and try to squeeze out ("drain") anything that's in there. In my experience, if there is something in there, the injection doesn't work nearly as well. Whatever is in there causes the cyst to re-emerge after while. Not all are drainable though.

When the medicine is injected just under the skin of the cyst, it spreads out into the surrounding tissues and knocks down the inflamatory response that is causing the large lump and redness. First, because of the injection, the cyst often looks redder and more obvious. This effect goes away within an hour or two - after that time, you're back to where you were before the injection. I usually hide out for a couple of hours after an injection if I can.

Then, after about 12 hours you begin to see improvement. It's not like it disappears immediately, but within 24 hours (often over night), you can see very good improvement, sometimes nearly totally disappearing within 24 hours. More often, it takes 36-48 hours for it to pretty much flatten out. Sometimes some redness lingers, but often it just disappears. In my experience, if it doesn't work within 2-3 days, it's not going to and you should maybe get it reinjected. I've done that many times.

In my experience, the sooner you can get it injected the better. In my later years, I can fairly well predict very early if I'm going to have a problem cyst. It's almost a 6th sense in that I feel it coming (and can see it too) before any casual observer would see anything. That is when I try to get in for an injection. My doctor works with me on this and understands if I come in for an injection of a very tiny, hidden zit, it is because I know it will develop. And, she agrees that they are much (almost 100%) responsive to early attack and the injection works much quicker with less medicine (thus less chance of atrophy - see below).

The down side is that the cortisone can cause "atrophy" of the underlying skin tissue. This is a dent in the skin. In my experience this is rare and when it happens, it isn't bad at all (much better than the cyst!) disappears after a couple of weeks. SOmetimes the dents can take a month or two to disapper. But to me they are probably not even noticable to the casual observer, certainly not as noticable as a large red lump!

I've had several cysts injected at one appointment, and the doctor usually goes ahead and injects the old, lingering ones as well.

The doctors I have worked with are very helpful in fitting me in for an "emergency" appointment for an injection. It only takes 5 minutes and I am careful not to distract the doc. with other issues during this time: quick in and out. I recommend discussing this possibility with your doc in advance so you can hopefully call first thing in the morning if you need an injection and get fitted in that day or the next. Another reason to get them done early.

My experience has been very good with these injections. I recommend them very much, especially if you have a big event coming up. Several times, I've even made appointments in other cities (using the yellow pages!) to get an injection if I happen to be traveling and something pops up. I've found that a lot, if not most, dermatologists and their phone answerers are familiar with the "emergency injection" call.