Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mark22

papaya for scars

When I read papain I knew I'd seen that ingredient in one of my products before and yep the Victoria Principle skin care line I bought awhile back has papain in the gentle enzyme treatment. It is a great little mask. The note on it says this advanced formula enzyme treatment with breakthrough papain (natural papaya enzyme) works fast, thoroughly and gently...

I never used it regularly enough to get rid of scarring, I used it like once a week and it made my skin feel great. I'm thinking I may do spot treatment with it more often now. It's not really that harsh of an exfoliator but my skin felt really smooth afterwards!

Tracy-thanks for mentioning all these different sites. It's great when people share what they've found. I would have never known about these sites or that papaya stuff exists for your skin unless you and curryboy had mentioned it. BTW, I've ordered from mothernature.com before. It shipped really quickly...only reason because the origin of the shipment was here in Washington state. They send you a confirmation of your order and then an e-mail with the UPS tracking number, unlike a few other sites I've purchased from-Menaji is one of them that don't.

So would anyone agree with me when I say that this papaya soap/enzyme peel is even safer for the skin than lactic acid peels? I've wanted to order lactic acid peels for a while, but I think I might wait and try papaya first. Gotta put in more hours at my part-time job on campus. biggrin.gif

I have read that Papaya peels are generally safer to use than Lactic Acid. In fact, here's what Makeup Artist's Choice says about it....

"Use our Enzyme Mask if you cannot tolerate acid usage"

PAPAYA AND PAPAIN

Leung 11 says papain is derived from Carica papaya and is also known as vegetable pepsin. It was formerly used in treating a wide variety of illnesses or conditions including infected wounds, sores, ulcers, tumours, and psoriasis. One of the major current uses is in preparations to control edema and inflammation associated with surgical or accidental trauma, infections or allergies. It is also used in certain face creams, cleansers, "face lift" formulations, and dentifrices, and as the active

ingredient in enzyme cleaners for soft lenses, among others.

http://www.dweckdata.com/Published_papers/Indians.pdf

Guest Tracy
So would anyone agree with me when I say that this papaya soap/enzyme peel is even safer for the skin than lactic acid peels?  I've wanted to order lactic acid peels for a while, but I think I might wait and try papaya first.  Gotta put in more hours at my part-time job on campus.  :D

When this thread begun .. I'm like ... hmmm.. dum-de-dum-de-dum .... tra-la-la-la-la .....

Now, my interest is up - arghhh - do I really need yet another product? ](*,) (inner child voice: "course you do!!)

Actually my first ever peel was a Papaya Enzyme peel that I purchased 2 months ago at a Whole Foods market. It was made by Zia. It's a great mask, in fact I noticed that my large indentation got shallower in the week following my enzyme peel. You're actually supposed to leave it on for 20 to 40 minutes, its that safe! I reported my "DRAMATIC" results in either the mandelic thread or some other thread, but I haven't done it since doing my first smoothbeam. I will after i do my second though!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Also, you need to know that they both do different things.  The papaya enzymes seem to \"eat\" or dissolve dead skin cells.  Lactic acid loosens the \"glue\" that holds the dead skin in place.  

Hi Obi,

If you use papaya you may not need the hydroquinone. I did a search today and I found one site that said the papaya has a bleaching action.

Take care!

Anna

Guest Tracy

Obi.....I think that IMO hydrodquinone = bad news. I'd do what you wrote up above. Or something similar and stay away from the hydroquinone. Maybe something like this:

Lactic Acid peel on the 10th, 20th, 30th of the month (every 10 days like Maya does it) and then do the papaya mask every two or three days in between or as needed.

I really think that sounds good.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Aah..damn my derm! If hydro was bad, why would he recommend it! #-o

He also told me that diamond peel and smoothbeam on the same day is a good idea. But after my complaint the other day he said diamond peel (equivalent to microderm) doesn't do anything for the scars...I felt tricked.

Guest Tracy

I think it's sorta like the fact that drug dealers don't take their best customers to rehab, Obi. IMO, the derms just want us to keep coming back or sumpin. I don't know. That's how I felt when I was going to mine and paying alot of money every other week for a glycolic peel before I found out they were not appropriate for my skin type and I could apply them myself at home for much less. He had me on every drug/topical imaginable before he prescribed Accutane and I just felt duped by him. It's a frustrating road but that frustration is what led me to do my own research and figure out what works best for my own skin.

Hydroquinone (sp?) is widely prescribed for hyperpigmentation. But I don't believe it is a good thing for Asian/Hispanic/Italian/Black skin. Yet it is often prescribed. Do a Google on it.....see for yourself. That's how I learned. I'd go with mandelic and papaya enzymes. Maybe some glabradin. I don't know, you'll prolly have to experiment to see what works best for you.....also, there's some stuff called Fuller's Earth.....you can get it at mountainroseherbs.com and it's got bleaching properties in it as well. I'm on the same road as you, Obi.....so long as we share our experiences and learn from others on this board, hopefully we'll heal our acne problems before the wrinkles really settle in!! LOL Hope this helps, my friend.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Thanks Trace. I should probably become a derm, it's so nice to keep chargin people 300-400 bucks/treatment and can't be asked to be responsible for anything. ](*,)

Yeah, I'm planning on doing the papaya thing again since I had a good experience with papaya mask before. I hope the result is permanent though.

I did some research on the hydroquinone. I believe it was dangerous before, but now it's 'regulated' to only 3-4%.

I actually believe the practitioner (the one who performed the SB) than my derm. She is more blunt from the beginning, but I appreciate that more than the sweet talk.

I'm pretty stubborn though- I'll go through the 3rd and 4th treatment. If by then I'm not getting any results, I'll fold. Damn that doctor's life if the treatment didn't yield me any results and all it did was fattening his wallet.

Thanks again Trace!

I check on e-bay, are you the one selling the soap on ebay? Why cant you tell us the name of the soap so we can contact the company and buy it ourselves? We would love to know! biggrin.gif

I check on e-bay, are you the one selling the soap on ebay?    Why cant you tell us the name of the soap so we can contact the company and buy it ourselves?    We would love to know! biggrin.gif

The company that sells it is Natural AdvantEdge. I don't think it's a well known company, or just a mom and pop type of store. My dad knows the owners of this company. That's how I got introduced to the product. Feel free to ask anymore questions.