Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mark22

papaya for scars

just some statement i found on internet, hope it will be helpful for some members:

Scars on the face will disappear if you rub them with the skin of a ripe papaya.

... but don't overdo it for you may simply vanish - a loss that the world cannot endure.

i think it works roughly the same as vinegar so yes, it can be beneficial... in the end i'd go 4 the vinegar cuz it's cheaper/easier to find

I used Papaya Soap during a summer and my scars improved dramatically.

But my pimples came back so that scar treatment was a waste. I will definately use that Papaya Soap once again when I stop breaking out.

Yes, I would like to know where you purchased your papaya soap as well. I see several sites offering them but I would like to know where you got yours. Wow-improving scars with papaya soap! biggrin.gif/

I live in Hawaii and our local health store chain carries it. It is imported from Phillipines. The papaya soap is made from wild papayas. The box claims wild papayas make better soap than commerical papays. I used it for couple of months but it did not stop my acne, but it did remove old scars.

I highly recommend this as an exfoliator. The first time I used I was amazed at how clean my face felt (this was when I had no acne from Accutane). It is marketed as a treatment for wrinkles and to improve skin texture/tone. Too bad, my acne is returned and I don't want to use it yet.

Not many people have heard of it, because it is only sold in Hawaii and Phillipines(from what the box said).

I will get some pics of the box this weekend.

I forgot to add this soap is very powerful. Don't leave it on your skin for more than a minute. It will burn and sting your skin. A very strong exfoliator. I got some in my eye too and ouch!!!!

My indentations, pitted scars on my left cheek were diminished. I don't know how effective this soap was on red marks, because I don't get them. The main problem was the rolling, pitted scars I had. My cheeks became smoother and the scars less visible.

curryboy can you tell us what the exact name of this soap is (ie, name brand oz etc....) So we can see if we may be able to purchase this stuff online.

Thanks

Here is what Paula Begoun says about Papaya Extract:

"papaya extract. Source of papain that theoretically can have exfoliating properties on skin, though almost none of the research has been performed on skin. Papaya can be a skin irritant. See enzymes." - Paula Begoun

Papaya contains the enzyme papain, which digests dead cells and leaves the living ones alone. It's also used as a meat tenderizer. I sprinkle some in with my homemade face masks to help with exfoliation. If I leave it on too long it gets irritating, so I wash it off after 10 minutes.

Papain is the active ingredient in enzymatic contact lens cleaner. It removes protein deposits. :-k

My guess is that it breaks down keratin in the skin. Skin cells fill with as they die and come to the surface. I don't know what protein it breaks down in the eye. I remember from school, that papain was selective in that it would only break down things that were already dead. (I have no clue how it knows) so I like it better than acids in that way, because I kinda think it won't go too deep. Anyway, I hope it isn't too irritating if it goes onto a contact lens...

Some people are sensitive to papain though and they have to use a different type of contact lens cleaner, maybe I'd be one of those people if I needed contacts.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

hmmm..that explains why. I had a face mud mask from GNC a few years ago and everytime I did the mask, I always saw my face looking cleaner and better before. That's probably cause of the papaya extract in it. I couldn't find it from GNC ever since though.

footprint,

The enzymatic cleanser is rinsed off the contact lens with saline solution before the lens goes back in the eye, so irritation shouldn't be a factor. Tears have protein in them and it builds up on lenses causing crystalline deposits.

Anna

Guest Tracy

Found this on the Internet:

Papain

A digestive enzyme, collected from papaya fruit. Papain hydrolyzes proteins and has a proteolytic capacity (digests proteins). Papain has the ability to digest dead tissue without affecting the surrounding live tissue. It is used in digestive aids and as the active ingredient in enzyme cleaners for soft contact lenses. Papain contains 212 amino acids and is also rich in malic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid.

Papaya Enzymes

From the tasty papaya fruit, these enzymes when taken orally, aid digestion and control bad breath (some say they help with weight loss too). Applied topically, the enzyme sloughs off dead skin cells (acts as an exfoliant).

I found a website that carries papaya soap. It's a mango papaya soap. $5.00 for 1 bar. Besides that, I can't seem to find any other websites that actually sell it online. One said it was backordered, another just had info on it. I think I might go ahead and order it. $5.00 isn't too bad I guess, even for 1 bar of soap. Oh, here's the URL

http://www.candlebath.com/mango_papaya.htm

Guest Scorpioness

Curryboy....

What is the name of the company that manufactures your papaya soap?

I use Jan Marini papaya enzyme mask (you need cleanse with the papaya enzyme cleanser before using the mask and to remove the mask). I have used it for over a year, two to three times a week until I started using lactic peels. Now I use it once a week and lactic peels once a week.

It exfoliates very gently and your face feels really clean and fresh. It does help fade red and brown marks and because the skin is kept exfoliated, it helps control blackheads and acne. I think it exfoliates by dissolving the dead cells rather than peeling.

Homepeels also sell a version of this for people with sensitive skin who can’t use lactic or glycolic.

Guest Scorpioness

Seems like it would be cheaper and possibly more effective to mash up the meat of a papaya and spread it over the face as a beauty treatment/mask.

Guest Tracy

I'm wondering if anyone's ever done this and if they feel its effective?