Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KillingLonliness

My Accutane 60 mg Sotret Log

My Pre-tane Acne Experiences.

Well never thought I'd be doing this, been using these forums for about a lil bit over a year now, but I've never actually created an account untill today. Usually I just read other people's posts and browse around these forums when I'm emo, but I figure if I'm gonna be on accutane for 6 months I might as well log my experience. My hope is that this log will help motivate other people who are going through a similar situation, because I know first hand how frustrating and annoying acne can be at times.

I started my experience with acne a lil bit over 2 years ago. I'm 19 years old now and durring this time I've tried all sorts of regimens/medications. I started off kinda clueless, just buying creams at the local cvs with varried results. Eventually my parrents descided to take me to the dermotologist who perscribed me Retina-micro and Duac. The results? Not good, I was pretty new to the whole skin care department so I doubt I was applying the creams correctly, but they werent helping my acne and they were drying the crap out of my face. Like I said at the time I was entirely new to the skin care department, so I wasnt using a moisturizer which is probably why my skin dried out like it did.

At any rate after that experience I descided to return to the dermotologist who put me on 500mg's of tetrocycline twice daily. Coincidentally around the same time I stumbled onto acne.org and read about Dan Kern's Regimen. Thats when I started learning a whole lot more about skin care, thanks to Dan and the forums(ie* you guys). So for about a year I did Dan Kern's Regimen while on tetrocyline, and noticed two things. One, Benzoyl Peroxide bleaches the shit out of your clothes. I cant tell you how many t-shirts I lost to bp gel lol. Two, BP just kills acne causing bacteria, it does not stop you from having acne in any way!! After a while I noticed that it didnt even feel like the BP gel was having any effect at all. I almost thought that maybe I had built up some sort of resistance/immunity to it. The same can be said for tetrocycline which doesnt do shit as far as I'm concerned.

So with a month before my next dermotologist appointment I descided like so many other people on these forums to start my own regimen. I started off thinking, ok well if I'm gonna do something about this I should try and figure out what type of acne exactly im dealing with and what type of cycles do I go through with it. Now I'm not exactly sure whether I was right or not, but at the time I seemed to think I had light nodular/cystic acne. I knew I had cysts, its easy to tell when you have a cyst, but I never really have that much difficulty with cysts. I get them occasionally but they usually start to fade or disappear after a week. The difficult part was determining whether I have nodules or not, and to be honest Im still not completely sure lol. My main problem area is my chin although I've gotten large nodular bumps on my nose before. Basically what happens is I get large swelled up bumps on my chin which are either nodules or barried cysts. I'm not sure because occasionally a cyst will form on top or out of the nodule, so in my mind it really could be either. At any rate I determined that these bumps have two phases, an active phase where it's very inflamed and red and this usually occurs when it first pops up. And an inactive phase where I dont feel it so much anymore but I can still notice it on my face and if prevoked can become active again.

Wow I just noticed how long this is starting to look. Talk about wall of text^^. Geeze I certainly get carried away, I hope this isnt that borring for anyone who descided to read it. What I did after that though to start my regimen was I searched online as much as I could for ways to prevent/fight nodules. And the only thing I could find other than Accutane was face peels and salytic acid. So in the month before seeing my dermotologist I put together a regimen that used Paula's Choice Cleanser, Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser, NiveaVisage Moisturizing Toner, and Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. I was using the Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser mainly as an exfoliating agent, because of the salytic acid it contained. And believe it or not this regimen actually worked rather well against my bumps or nodules. The only problem was that they just kept comming back, and everytime I would get clear I would get tuns of whiteheads on my chin where the nodules use to be shortly after.

Eventually my dermotologist appointment came around and my derm Dr. Chew told me that she didnt originally diagnose me with nodular acne and wasnt sure if thats what I had. So she perscribed a 45mg dosage of Solodyn and told me to try that for a few months. Solodyn is another type of tetrocycline that was recently approoved by the FDA. I was on Solodyn for about two months before my next dermotologist appointment. Durring this time I noticed almost no difference at all in my acne. Finally when I returned to see Dr. Chew she descided it was time that I try accutane. That pretty much takes us up to date with where I am in my acne treatment. So I guess I'll start my actual log in the post after this so it wont look so cluttered.

P.S. I Didn't spell check or reread any of this for clarity so if something sounds like it doesnt make sense feel free to post comments or questions.

Alright so here we go, post numero uno. I've actually been on accutane for 5 days already so I'll be starting my log on day #6. I'm currently taking two 30 mg pills of sotret every day.

DAY 6:

Woke up today with extremely dry and peely skin and some minor chest pains as well. I'm not sure if its from the accutane or not, im kind of a skeptic when it comes to side effects. I believe people like to invent reasons to explain why something happend and I happen to have dry skin all the time, particularly when my acne seems to be clearing up, so I'm not sure whether its the accutane or just my normal dry skin. At any rate I started out the day with my normal washing routine(cleanser, exfoliate, toner, moisturizer). But when I went downstairs to eat breakfeast my skin still felt incredibly dried out. It was cracking and flaking all around my chin. I should note that I've been testing around with new moisturizers for a little while now, I had originally descided to use Eucerin Calming Creme but after today I just think that moisturizer is too thick and really doesnt help my skin. So after breakfeast I went upstairs and put on my old moisturizer Neutrogena Oil-Free moisture with spf15 which was much better, and I immediately noticed an improvement in the way my skin looked and felt. However my skin still looks very dry and red on the leftside of my chin, but atleast its not peeling or flaking anymore. If I look close enough I can see little lines on my chin because the skins been so dried out and irritated. Well thats pretty much it for my first log, but I have a few questions for anyone who has been on accutane and cares to answer them.

My first question is about the iPledge website. Do I need to call the number on my ipledge card in order to get my dea number or should that have been given to me by my dermotologist. The dermotologist I was originally seeing doesnt handle accutane patients so she told me that I would be seeing Dr. Jeff(the guy that does handle accutane patients) and that he would call me in a couple of days. Well it's been about a week now and still no phone call, so I'm wondering whether Im suppose to register myself by phone or something. I havent really given this much thought or looked into it so if he doesnt call in the next couple of days I'll probably just call him myself or call the ipledge #.

My second question is more related to something I've been noticing while moisturising since I started accutane. Lately my skin has been stinging or burning intensely when I go to moisturize my skin after applying my nivea visage moisturizing toner. Kinda the same way Dan Kern describes in his regimen for people that are just starting. I've been moisturizing and cleansing my skin for over a year now and havent felt this kinda stinging or burning since way back when I first started Dan's Regimen. I thought it might just be the moisturizers I'm using because I've been switching around the moisturizer I use a lot lately. But even old moisturizers I know I've used plenty before are stinging my face. At a friends recommendation I've descided to cut out the salytic acid out of my routine and only touch my skin with very soft topicals. Thus my new regimen is gonna be cleans,toner,moisturize and thats it.

And lastly if anyone has any moisturizer recommendations feel free to post em. Currently I've tried all the cetaphil moisturizers, eucerin calming creme, ponds hydrating moisturizer, and am now using Neutrogena Oil-free moisture spf 15.

And trust me, all my posts arent going to be this long. So sorry for the giant walls of text.

sounds like the cleanser toner moisturizer combo is to much right now for ur skin. right now being on accutane ur skin is VERY sensitive. i`d try a very gentle cleanser like cetaphil or this ultra gentle cleanser by neutrogena comes in a simple white or baby blue (iforget) bottle with a pump to dispence it.

and a moisturizer with spf like the neutrogena one u described, and @ night i`d use something more intensive like cetaphil and a couple drops of jojoba oil. one guy on here uses strictly jojoba oil @ night and he says he has no dry skin. his skin probably looks really shiny and oily but @ night ur qoinq to sleep so kno one will see.

goodluck with ur course!

oh yes and make sure u have a really good chapstick

sounds like the cleanser toner moisturizer combo is to much right now for ur skin. right now being on accutane ur skin is VERY sensitive. i`d try a very gentle cleanser like cetaphil or this ultra gentle cleanser by neutrogena comes in a simple white or baby blue (iforget) bottle with a pump to dispence it.

and a moisturizer with spf like the neutrogena one u described, and @ night i`d use something more intensive like cetaphil and a couple drops of jojoba oil. one guy on here uses strictly jojoba oil @ night and he says he has no dry skin. his skin probably looks really shiny and oily but @ night ur qoinq to sleep so kno one will see.

goodluck with ur course!

oh yes and make sure u have a really good chapstick

I'm actually already using cetaphil for my cleanser. I descided however to take the neutrogena cleanser completely out, I was mainly using it as an exfoliator before but now that im on my accutane course I think your right, thats a bit too intensive for my skin. The toner I use, nivea visage moisturizing toner, is mainly just water and concentrated b5 along with some aloe and chamaloe. It actually feels very refreshing when I use it on my skin before moisturizing. I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for the comment though, I'll have to look into picking up some jojoba oil and testing it out. And yes I have plenty of chapstick ready, but I havent had any problems in the lip department yet. All the same I've been regularly applying chapstick.

DAY 7:

So todays the end of the first week, that leaves only 23 more weeks to go! Hehe. Well my skins feeling less like sand paper this morning all though I gotta admit its still very very dry, and surprisingly my moisturizer actually didnt sting for the first time since I started my course. Not feeling any of the 'side effects' right now but last night at work my eyes got wattery and itchy as hell. I couldnt believe how irritated my eyes got, I'll deffinately be picking up some eye drops for that.