Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worrying friend?

I have this friend whose a guy and sometimes cuts himself. I think he does it for attention, as he sometimes likes to act as an 'emo' I think its horrible, and I am more than worried to say the least. Shouyld I confront him?

Yes, I think you should. Talk to him, try to get him to converse with you as to why he's cutting himself.

But then again, people'll do whatever the hell they want and do not care who it affects. *shrugs*

Take it carefully, though.

It's my understanding (and keep in mind I'm not a psychiatrist) that people who cut themselves are not necessarily seeking attention. They cut themselves because that will focus themselves on physical pain rather than emotional anguish. Your friend needs professional help. Really.....try to get him to see a counselor.

Good luck,

W+S

Thank you so much, and it does seem he hurts himself and enjoys pain, as he is not good with emotion, he is intelligent and funny has dreamy blue eyes.... anyway, he is in and out of relationships constantly, so I geuss its his way of dealing with that. I'll talk to him and get him through it.

Guest T-Virus

I have a friend who WAS cutting herself. Since I last saw her, she hadn't done it for a week.

Guest T-Virus

Do you think she will stop?

Yeah. I don't think she's suicidal. She's very sociable and she seems happy. I think she is probably doing it for attention.

It's my understanding (and keep in mind I'm not a psychiatrist) that people who cut themselves are not necessarily seeking attention. They cut themselves because that will focus themselves on physical pain rather than emotional anguish. Your friend needs professional help. Really.....try to get him to see a counselor.

Good luck,

W+S

you are correct in your assumption. for anyone who HASN'T cut themselves let me tell you nobody COULD do it just for fun. the pain is excruitiating you have to be in some kind of mental torment that superseds it to withstand the pain.

He probably tries to cover it up with an "attitude" to avoid people thinking he's vulnerable. its a common issue among the mentally ill. we're REALLY good liars.

still. stick by your friend but be firm about the getting help. offer to go with him if he'd like! say we can all use some help at times and then he won't feel so alone

Thanks guys. I talked to my friend this morning about it and He agreed to let me help him. It might take a while, but its a start :) This is why I joined, thanks again.

I had a friend like this back in the day. He was never depressed but he started getting upset over girls and he started cuttin himself. I always told him to stop, but he was clearly doin it for attention cause he used to tell us it and show us the cuts. I used to tell him to stop doing it and its not worth doing it over the girls he got mixed up with because he would find a girl who is better for him.

now I kept giving him my sympathy and he wouldn't stop. (Now dont think im a mean fucked up guy for this cause im not, and remember this is NY so I grew up where sometimes we were hard on our friends and alot of times we would jus mess with each other)

but finally Igot fed up with it and knew he just wanted attention. So I stopped giving him sympathy. I said why the fuck are you cutting your wrists? whats that doing for you? Nothing its just giving you stupid little irritating small time cuts. I said if your really that crazy just get a gun and kill yourself already and cut the baby nonsense out. He was like i'll do it, i said i'll help you (this one i said in a jokin matter) anyway long story short, he stopped cutting his wrists when he realised it was doing nothing for him. It wasn't getting him any sympathy fm the guys anymore and he saw it wasn't doing anything so he stopped.

He used to be upset over girls, but after this he has found a girl that he's now been with for 2 yrs and they are in love and they will probably get married and im happy for him.

I'm not saying to use my logic for everybody, because being hard on people in these situations doesn't workmost of the time, but in this case I knew it would work and it did.