Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I experienced moderate acne in high school and the beginning of my college years, and it eventually cleared up (with the exception of the occasionl flare-ups)

I had been on bc for most of college and then stopped taking it for about a year (at age 24), and my skin stayed clear. About 5 months ago I started getting moderate acne on my chin and cheeks (acne in my earlier days usually was on my forehead). I tried everything, and nothing helped. I went on ortho tri lo 3 mos. ago and my skin has gotten worse. Has anybody else had an experience similar to this?

I'm not sure if they acne I'm experiencing is cystic. It's somewhat painful and very red. They aren't extremely large, but they stick around for awhile. I'll try to get a pic posted soon.

Thanks

Hi! I've seen people report that their acne gets worse on Lo. I'm on OTC regular because I read about breakouts people were having with Lo. I would consider switching to another brand, but everyone is different and I don't want to freak you out. A lot of people get it confused with regular OTC, but Lo is NOT the same as OTC and has not been tested/proven for acne.

EDIT: Here's a recent post where some other people mentioned they had trouble with Lo too.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=122548&st=

Here's what the pharmaceutical company has to say:

ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN helped my acne; can ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO do the same?

ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO has not yet been studied for the treatment of acne. ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN is indicated for the treatment of moderate acne vulgaris in females equal to or greater than 15 years of age, who have no known contraindications to oral contraceptive therapy, desire contraception, have achieved menarche and are unresponsive to topical anti-acne medications.

Source: http://www.thepill.com/html/ppil/faq.jsp

I'm on Lo, too, I am about to start my 5th month. I can't say that my acne changed at all, however I am having fewer breakouts now than I had at the beginning, so who knows?