Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum007

Eye problems. Bloodshot, red, swollen, puffy and generally nasty.

Just looking for more comiserating from the group.

I look stoned all the time. Might as well be since I already look that way, right? :razz: The pharmacist told me accutane is really hard on some people's eyes. He basically said there is nothing long lasting I can do. So I put Visine in only before I have to meet someone or go somewhere in public (except Walmart cuz I don't care what I look like in Walmart). Visine can cause rebound redness so I need to limit it. I use Refresh Tears as needed.

I constantly look like I have pink eye (which technically I do) and like I'm about to cry.

And I've got a bit of photophobia which I usually only get when I have a migraine.

And occasionally I wake up with goopy eyes. Blech :redface: .

Anyone?

Platinum :boohoo:

Meh I'm one year post accutane, and each morning when I wake up my eyes are dry and kind of sore. Takes about 10-15 minutes before they feel normal.

I know exactly what you're going through, Platinum! If it hadn't been for all the eye problems I had, being on 'tane wouldn't have been that bad. Luckily my eyes went back to normal a week or two after I finished tane.

I don't know if there's a whole lot else you can do other than using the Refresh Tears a LOT (at least once every hour). And before going to bed, you might want to try using an ointment or gel. Good luck!

I know exactly what you're going through, Platinum! If it hadn't been for all the eye problems I had, being on 'tane wouldn't have been that bad. Luckily my eyes went back to normal a week or two after I finished tane.

I don't know if there's a whole lot else you can do other than using the Refresh Tears a LOT (at least once every hour). And before going to bed, you might want to try using an ointment or gel. Good luck!

Yuk. I use that ointment by Refresh called Refresh PM or something. It's mineral oil and petrolium. I can't see anything after I put it in and it's just plain gross. I used it last night and it doesn't seem to help with the morning painful, blurry, puss filled, puffy eyes. I put some Refresh Tears in and it helped this AM. Plus Visine. And now another dose of Tears.

I am hoping my eyes return to normal like yours did. Wouldn't want THAT to be a lasting side effect. After all these years of acne, my eyes have been like my color palette. I always dress them up for going out and I always get compliments. Now people go, "Are you ok?" I HATE that.

Waaaahhhh :cry: .

Glad you all understand but sorry you went through it, too.

Platinum

Meh I'm one year post accutane, and each morning when I wake up my eyes are dry and kind of sore. Takes about 10-15 minutes before they feel normal.

Gosh, I hope it doesn't linger that long for me. I hate it.

Yuk. I use that ointment by Refresh called Refresh PM or something. It's mineral oil and petrolium. I can't see anything after I put it in and it's just plain gross. I used it last night and it doesn't seem to help with the morning painful, blurry, puss filled, puffy eyes. I put some Refresh Tears in and it helped this AM. Plus Visine. And now another dose of Tears.

I am hoping my eyes return to normal like yours did. Wouldn't want THAT to be a lasting side effect. After all these years of acne, my eyes have been like my color palette. I always dress them up for going out and I always get compliments. Now people go, "Are you ok?" I HATE that.

Waaaahhhh :cry: .

Glad you all understand but sorry you went through it, too.

Platinum

Gosh, I hope it doesn't linger that long for me. I hate it.

Platinum...have you been to see an optometrist or ophthamologist? Maybe there is something prescription you can use.

My optometrist, in addition to recommending eye gels, recommended warm compresses. He said to take a warm, damp wash cloth, and place it over the eyes. Then, after about 5 minutes, massage the eyes. You use your finger and roll it on the top lid (rolling down) and then bottom lid (rolling up).

He explained that your tears have oil in them, and accutane can deplete that oil. The compresses and massage help release what oil you might have in your tear ducts.

I'd still consult with an eye professional though. Sorry you are going through this. I've experienced enough eye infections over the years to know that you must be miserable.

Go to an eye doctor. It sounds like you have conjunctivitis and may need some antibiotic drops.

It's totally pink eye. But if it's bacterial, that usually clears up on it's own in 5 days (in my past experience). With antibiotics it clears up in 3.

If it's viral, it usually clears up in 3 weeks. It's been 4. I think it's a chronic inflammation from the accutane. You both are right, though. I need to go to the eye doctor. It's just that my symptoms wax and wane so I forget to call. When it's bad, at 6am, the doctors aren't open yet...lol.

I guess I'll call him right now.

Thanks,

Platinum

But if it's bacterial, that usually clears up on it's own in 5 days (in my past experience).

Well yes, normally... but you aren't in a normal situation here and this has been going on longer than 5 days. Your eye depends on lubrication as one of it's primary defenses. When your eyes get dry they become very vulnerable, and as i understand it, you need that lubrication to fight off the infection. So a little assistance may be called for if the doctor beleives it to be bacterial.

But if it's bacterial, that usually clears up on it's own in 5 days (in my past experience).

Well yes, normally... but you aren't in a normal situation here and this has been going on longer than 5 days. Your eye depends on lubrication as one of it's primary defenses. When your eyes get dry they become very vulnerable, and as i understand it, you need that lubrication to fight off the infection. So a little assistance may be called for if the doctor beleives it to be bacterial.

I totally agree.

You don't want to wind up with something horrible (eye ulcers). Don't self-diagnose...let a medical professional tell you what you have...and what to do!

TYP-I-CAL!!!!!!

I finally call and WHAT? they close at noon on Fridays and won't be in till Monday.

I'm an idiot :wall:

I'll try the warm compress and massage thing over the weekend. I WILL call them on Monday.

Till then, I'll just get stoned so at least I don't have to explain the whole accutane/pink eye thing..... :whistle:

:eh: Platinum

TYP-I-CAL!!!!!!

I finally call and WHAT? they close at noon on Fridays and won't be in till Monday.

I'm an idiot :wall:

I'll try the warm compress and massage thing over the weekend. I WILL call them on Monday.

Till then, I'll just get stoned so at least I don't have to explain the whole accutane/pink eye thing..... :whistle:

:eh: Platinum

Hey Platinum, try Systane eye drops - they were recommended to me by an optometrist. There are also store brands with the same ingredients (polyethylene glycol and/or propylene glycol) which are good to (according to him). I found that systane and the generic version both really helped my red eye stoner look. Hope this helps.

I look the same way. This is the third time I used accutane. It's not as bad the second or third time. Try using artifical tears- that should help your red eyes. The first time I used this stuff I wreaked my bike doing 70mph no helmet-I had a major headache for months. Besides the headaches are a side effect-i believe this is caused by increased pressure on the brain. You should probably tell your doctor. I'm not even seeing one "doctor that is". the last time I took it-I cheated on the blood test anyway.

good luck I hated my dry eyes while on accutane it was horrible trying to put in eye drops constantly :wacko:

good luck I hated my dry eyes while on accutane it was horrible trying to put in eye drops constantly :wacko:

Thanks. Right now it's probably the worst side effect I'm having. Which, I guess, is not too bad.

Just because it's not contagious to people who are producing normal levels of tears doesn't mean it's not an infection.

True.

But, so far, if I keep those drops in, the puss and redness stays away. Last night I felt like I had sand in my eyes. When that happens I wake up with swelling and puss. So I put in the Gel Tears (or something like that) and it immediately made them feel better.

I really wish you'd see a doctor for this. Pus from the eyes, even only in the morning, is not a good thing.

Platinum...I agree. You REALLY need to go to the dr.

Id also like to know because ive been off accutane for almost 4 months now and still have dry red eyes ALL THE TIME !

Ive been prescribed tons of eye drops and nothing seems to work.