Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kayotic

Accutane + Depilatory

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of my "acne" is actually ingrown hairs (I am 1/2 black and, as I understand it, this is much more common in black men with curly hair). I've tried tons of different shaving creams, electric razors, single blade razors, etc...

Still get bumps.

I tested over a vacation from school by shaving one sideburn and not the other. The shaved side developed several "pimples" within a couple of days. The other side did not.

I've also done mini tests like this with my cheek and the results are the same.

So, I want to try a depilatory.

Is it safe to use while on accutane? I know waxing is a big no no.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Accutane + Dipilatory = BIG NO NO

I've heard stories of some people burning off their skin before. Since your skin is more sensitive and thinner it's not a good idea to put chemicals on it.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I'm not too sure since razors, depilatories, and waxing are all out. Something like Tendskin might work, but since you're on accutane and that dries out the skin it might make it all worse since tendskin has alcohol in it.

I'm not too sure since razors, depilatories, and waxing are all out. Something like Tendskin might work, but since you're on accutane and that dries out the skin it might make it all worse since tendskin has alcohol in it.

nobody told me to stay away from razors, I used to shave with a plastic razor while on accutane often.

i had the same problem with ingrown hairs, and i would keep getting breakouts wherever i shaved on my face.

i recommend buying a "trimmer," i have one that's made by WAHL and it works great for me. Its really fast and about as close to "shaved" as you can get.

It sounds like what you are describing are ingrown hairs rather than acne. When new hairgrowth doesn't come through the skin but instead grows under the skin it can cause inflammation and I think infection. The best way to avoid them is to trim hair close to the skin but not shave at the skin. This way there is always a bit of hair poking out and the new growth will continue to grow out of the skin.

If you are going to shave then the only way to avoid ingrown hairs to ensure that you exfoliate alot, but this is a bad idea on Accutane since your skin is sensitive.

Shaving on Accutane is OK. I have also used an electronic epilator with no problems. The use of depilatory creams will depend on how sensitive your skin is. I used it underarm with no problem. Waxing is a problem because, in normal circumstances, waxing takes off the very top layer of your skin. When you have taken Accutane and your skin is more sensitive, more skin may come off.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

nobody told me to stay away from razors, I used to shave with a plastic razor while on accutane often.

I didn't say to stay away from razors. I meant that since the original poster has problems when he shaves his face with a razor, then that'd be out as an option.

You could try and epilator like JBHK said. If you really want to try a depilatory then do a small test patch first. Better to know you can't handle it with a small patch rather then doing your whole face.

wait a minute...razors are OUT? my derm didnt tell me that...errr

i know waxing is...but razors...:|