Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CherryBunny3

Too much ?

Iam using almay healing blemishes make up and revlon.., all of them have some of the acid acne med and tonight i got this neutrogina (sp?) moisturizer that helps to clear up acne as well , do you think thats too much on my skin and acne as well?

Guest Sincerely_Me

Salyclic Acid? I don't think SA and the moisturizer will be a problem, but try it out, some people have super sensitive skin, and since that moisturizer is super strong it can be very irritating.

I don't think salicylic acid ever worked for me... but then, nothing has lol, only the pill.

Some products dry your skin. I used to use benzoid peroxide gel at nights after I wash my face with some wash with salicylic acid. This mix would dry my skin a lot! Even though I had moisturizer on, my face was still dry.

So unless those products you are using are very gently and they don't make you break out, then that's fine. But if you find your face very dry, peeling or with flakes, I would say you should stop one product or find a super moisturizer. I found that jojoba oil was a very good moisturizer, the only one that had worked. I tested it for 2-3 weeks using 2.5% BP and 2% SA at nights.

Guest blackheadben

the revlon concealer really does dry up a zit quite well. I love it :)

no i dont think so at all.

i used to use vlean and clear moisturizer with SA, Neutrogena skin clearing foundation with SA, and also the neutrogena skin clearing powder and nothing ever happened. i dont think its strong enough even together to do much to your face.

Yes I think it's too much personally and I don't like to use makeup with with "BP" and "Salyic acid" already in it.....but everyone's skin is different...

Most salicylic acid products have too high of a pH (over 4) to be effective and/or or contain skin irritants. I'm willing to bet that the reason why many (if not all) of the above posters didn't like salicylic acid was because they were using irritating and/or ineffective products. When salicylic acid is in a product having a pH of over 4 (as I presume your makeup products do) it acts as a water-binding agent rather than as an exfoliant. When it's in products containing problematic skin irritants, it's effectiveness (assuming the product even has an effective pH) is severely impaired because irritants can actually make acne worse by increasing the risk of clogged pores and hindering healthy skin function.

Salicylic acid, when in effective formulations, has many benefits to the skin:

Salicylic Acid: Referred to as beta hydroxy acid (BHA), it is a multifunctional ingredient that addresses many of the systemic causes of blemishes (Source: Seminars in Dermatology, December 1990, pages 305–308). For decades dermatologists have been prescribing salicylic acid as an exceedingly effective keratolytic (exfoliant), but it also is an anti-irritant This is because salicylic acid is a derivative of aspirin (both are salicylates—aspirin’s technical name is acetyl salicylic acid), and so it also functions as an anti-inflammatory. (Sources: Archives of Internal Medicine, July 2002, pages 1531–1532; Annals of Dermatology and Venereology, January 2002, pages 137–142; Archives of Dermatology, November 2000, pages 1390–1395; and Pain, January 1996, pages 71–82). Another notable aspect of salicylic acid for treating breakouts is that it has antimicrobial properties (Source: Preservatives for Cosmetics, 1996, by David Steinberg, Allured Publishing; and Health Canada Monograph Category IV, Antiseptic Cleansers, at www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/). It is also well documented that it can improve skin thickness, barrier functions, and collagen production (Sources: Dermatology, 1999, volume 199, number 1, pages 50–53; and Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, Volume 175, Issue 1, pages 76–82). As an exfoliant, in concentrations of 8% to 12%, it is effective in wart-remover medications. In concentrations of 0.5% to 2%, it is far more gentle, and, much like AHAs (See AHAs), can exfoliate the surface of skin. In addition, BHA has the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well on the surface of the skin; that makes it effective for reducing blemishes, including blackheads and whiteheads.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dictiona...#salicylic*acid

The only pH-correct and gentle salicylic acid products available at the drugstore that I know of are Neutrogena's Rapid Clear Lotion and Olay's Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Moisturizer. If you're willing to order online, Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid Line features products that are better-formulated and cheaper per ounce than the other salicylic acid products I know of. Given the fact that your makeup products likely have too high of a pH for the salicylic acid to act as an exfoliant, it's fine for you to use them in conjunction with your moisturizer.

It is very important to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen (a sunscreen that protects against UVA/UVB rays), and especially when using salicylic acid, which, like many acne medications, makes the skin more sun-sensitive. If your sunscreen does not contain any of the ingredients avobenzone, mexoryl sx, tinosorb, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide it does not offer adequate protection against UVA rays. Look for sunscreens that are SPF 15 or higher.

Whoa..thanks for the info.., sooo what make up brand and moisturizer do you prefer for us to use instead of those drug stores blemish clearing make up? that would be helpful if you can list some brand names and types of make up...iam having hard time with make up lately.