Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HEY EVERYONE: im new to this posting thing....so bare with me =-)

i was one of the "unlucky ones" that used accutane and 5 months later the acne returned....so i got on birth control (BC) (ortho-tri-cyclin) and it has helped a little but i still get a few here and there...its also something that once u start , stick with them or your face will look like crap ! thats one of the reasons i had to get on accutane...i was taking BC for a while adn stopped and thats when i started breaking out BAD but i didnt want to get on accutane AGAIN so i decided to get back on BC...im also going to start the regimen soon...im planning on changing makeup also...i use almay right now and it seemed to work great for 5 years but im wondering if they have changed ingredients or something...my dermatologist and i cant figure out the cause so i guess i will stick with what helps and continue researching for new things to help....

:-k

has anyone had the same experience with BC ?

When I first started with ortho I had a very bad initial breakout-my first experience with a cyst. When I stopped birth control, I again suffered a break out. I vow now to never go back on ortho. It along with retin a ravaged my skin.

G/L and remember everyones skin is different. That was just my experience.

I had the same thing happen to me. I was on othro for 1 year and it made my face clear up-GREAT, it was amazing, then about 6 months ago, I stopped taking ortho, cause I figured oh my face is better now, I don't need this anymore. So just about a little more then a month ago I had a major flare up, worse then it has ever been, so I went back on ortho, and I know it takes a couple months to kick in and start working, but its NOT! =( And my face can't afford to wait any longer, or else Im gonna get major scarring, so on Friday Im going to the derm. to get started for accutane =( I don't want to have to go on it, but I think its the only way my face will get better.

About makeup... I don't know about Almay, but I have been through everything! I finally found one that had awesome coverage~ Clinique's "dewy smooth", but I don't think its oil free, so I stopped using that. My derm. reccomended Lancome's oil free foundations, so yesterday I went to Nordstroms and spent over $100 on this makeup, but it works awesome, great coverage (and thank goodness they had a gift with purchase or else I would of been pissed spending so much! LOL)

Anyways, good luck to you =)

I started on Ortho about the same time that a girl I worked with did, and we both had terrible flare-ups almost as soon as we started taking it! I went off it after a couple of months, but then asked my OB/GYN for a different type. She said that breaking out on Ortho wasn't uncommon at all, and prescribed a different kind--it's called Necon (Nortrel is another brand) and it's a combination of norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol. My skin cleared up within a month and has been almost completely clear for two years. biggrin.gif/ I wish so much I would have had it years ago, but better late than never, I guess. I've tried Accutane, all sorts of antibiotics, and nothing has come close to working like these B/C pills have. Ask your Dr. for a different kind; it may be just finding the right "recipe" for your hormones. Good luck!! biggrin.gif