Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marashino

What the pharmacist technician said...

She was a little bit older than me and was quite nice helping me through some complication with ipledge.

But she then started with : " you know this is a very strong medication...you're just starting right? You know sometimes it's just diet...."

When she said that....i felt like i needed to defend myself...but because she seemed so nice, i just smiled and said: " Yes, but i've struggled with this for 10 years, it's scarring and i understand the complications."

Tech: "But people want to commit suicide on this drug..."

Me: "I'm not depressed though."

Tech: "You don't have to be! My friend was on it and she wanted to kill herself."

Me: "Did it clear her though?"

Tech: "Yes....it did. But there are other ways...like diet..."

When i finally came to pick it up. She was sweet and remembered my last name and just said "Just be alert, okay?"

I guess i was so desperate to get my script filled I just wanted to get and go as quickly as possible....reflecting on what happened...i really think it was so wrong for someone working in a pharmacy to be so unprofessional....I don't mind meddling people cos i feel like they have best intentions, but as a pharmacist tech, i really didn't need the judgement or more personal remedies or stories. My acne has been tramatic enough in the past months.

She was a little bit older than me and was quite nice helping me through some complication with ipledge.

But she then started with : " you know this is a very strong medication...you're just starting right? You know sometimes it's just diet...."

When she said that....i felt like i needed to defend myself...but because she seemed so nice, i just smiled and said: " Yes, but i've struggled with this for 10 years, it's scarring and i understand the complications."

Tech: "You don't have to be! My friend was on it and she wanted to kill herself."

When i finally came to pick it up. She was sweet and remembered my last name and just said "Just be alert, okay?"

I guess i was so desperate to get my script filled I just wanted to get and go as quickly as possible....reflecting on what happened...i really think it was so wrong for someone working in a pharmacy to be so unprofessional....I don't mind meddling people cos i feel like they have best intentions, but as a pharmacist tech, i really didn't need the judgement or more personal remedies or stories. My acne has been tramatic enough in the past months.

Ok, I started to get tears in my eyes a little on that one. Putting myself in your place, I probably would have started crying right there. God, I hate when people say things like that! Or offer some other stupid remedy like maybe you should wash your face more or have you tried this or that?? Just regular people, co-workers, friends. I'm always thinking, do they think I haven't tried EVERYTHING out there??! Do they think I like walking around with myface like this?! AHHHH! It's just so hard to live with already... And then for a professional to say something like that....it's even worse! I'm sorry, that sucks! But just think... in 5 more months we will have clear skin and none of this will matter!

I actually cried twice yesterday. Both pharmacy related. I've never felt there were so many hurdles to get through to get this drug. People seem so reluctant to help.

First cos when i called my pharmacy to check if they have accutane, they said yes (which they didn't anyway) and didn't even want to hear about me getting my script without my card (which i never got in the mail)

And then after i dropped my script off...i just felt overwhelmed and lost it for 10 secs.... :cry::boohoo:

But i'm okay now! Clear skin on it's way! Hooray! :dance:

I would report her comments to her supervisor.

It is one thing to warn you about pregnancy, not taking vit A supplements, etc...but quite another thing to make the comments that she did.

I would report her comments to her supervisor.

It is one thing to warn you about pregnancy, not taking vit A supplements, etc...but quite another thing to make the comments that she did.

I agree totally with mickey67 - this is absolutely unacceptable behavior on the part of the tech. It should be reported to the supervisor pharmacist. You should speak directly with the pharmacist in charge and tell him/her specifically what that tech said. If you feel uncomfortable speaking to someone about this, write a letter. Make sure you include as many specific details as possible. This is very serious, in my opinion!

I have nothing against techs -they serve a valuable role in the pharmacy. Where I come from, that role DOES NOT INCLUDE PATIENT COUNSELING!!! Only licensed pharmacists are qualified and authorized to counsel patients on their meds. Maybe it's different in your state. Every pharmacy I go to if I have any questions, or if there is serious information to be given, it is done by a pharmacist. If I am being given the med by a tech, and I ask a question, the tech gets a pharmacist to speak with me. I believe this is the law in my state.

Again, this is absolutely unacceptable. I'm very pissed just hearing about it. Please report this to the pharmacist.

Aw that sucks! If it were me that situation would have deffinitely ended with curse words from me. She had no right to say that because you're the customer and should be able to pay for what you want and then get the F out of there. You should take your business elsewhere.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

That's really is rude. I work in a pharmacy and that'd never be acceptable.

what if you were filling birth control pills and the tech said "oh my preist says these are so bad for your body. all those hormones and such. and my friend got pregnant while she was on them anyway, so they dont really work. have you heard of abstinence? why don't you try that...." you would be enraged right? you should be about this too. i agree with the above posters, you should report this to her supervisor. and her supervisors supervisor. it is not her job to give unsolicited advice about your private medical decisions.

techs are usually IDIOTS, I deal with them all day at work.

her 'friend' wanting to kill themselves had nothing to do with accutane, maybe she was upset that she had such awful friends like the tech girl that told her to fix her acne with diet...... lol

After knowing what I know...... I would have told the pharmacy manager. That tech girl, who knows nothing, should NOT be telling patients that and should be told it was wrong of her to do so.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I never give out my personal opinion to customers like that, especially since I haven't been trained or schooled to give out advice like that (actually her "advice" was a personal opinion not based on medicinal knowledge). It's just not my place to tell patients that kind of stuff. It was especially rude since it seems that her "advice" was unsolicited.

finallymejess... I'm kind of offended that you'd say that all techs are idiots. I think it more depends on the person then the job they have. You're going to encounter idiots in every profession.

finallymejess... I'm kind of offended that you'd say that all techs are idiots. I think it more depends on the person then the job they have. You're going to encounter idiots in every profession.

they are 'usually', which is what I said. anytime there is a problem with anything, I have to ask to speak with a pharmacist since the techs don't know anything. There are a few really good techs though, but they are few and far between.

I am in Canada, and from what I was told they don't really get any training and have high turnover.... so they never seem to know what is going on! The one in this story obviously didn't hit the part of the manual about ethics :eh:

Plus, I didn't mean to offend, although I obviously didn't mean you. People get offended way too easy. Reading again, you were only 'kinda' offended ;)

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

they are 'usually', which is what I said. anytime there is a problem with anything, I have to ask to speak with a pharmacist since the techs don't know anything. There are a few really good techs though, but they are few and far between.

I am in Canada, and from what I was told they don't really get any training and have high turnover.... so they never seem to know what is going on! The one in this story obviously didn't hit the part of the manual about ethics :eh:

Plus, I didn't mean to offend, although I obviously didn't mean you. People get offended way too easy. Reading again, you were only 'kinda' offended ;)

Well I know you were referring to me. Idiots are everywhere and breeding unfortuentely. I never answer questions about drugs to patients or tell them what to take or do for a medical problem. If I don't know what something means then I ask , because I really don't want waste anyone's time. Where I work the people competent, but I have come across idiots in pharmacies before.

Well I know you were referring to me.

I didn't read until after I posted that you were a tech, so of course I wasn't reffering to you. I talk to approx 100 different pharmacy techs each day, so I get a good cross section.

I know that what that tech said was wrong and wouldn't be appropriate in any pharmacy, and that most techs, even if poorly trained, would know not to do that.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I know that what that tech said was wrong and wouldn't be appropriate in any pharmacy, and that most techs, even if poorly trained, would know not to do that.

I totally agree. If I were the original poster I'd tell the pharmacy manager about it. I really hope that tech isn't going around telling people stuff like that at her workplace all the time.

oh i i just want to beat the people that have no idea what they're talking about and come up to me and say: "have you been eating greasy food or chocolate lately? because that must be it.... you should stop eating those things..."

surely if it were that simple, acne.org would not exist. i just hate it when people butt in especially when they have no knowledge to back up their statements.

oh i i just want to beat the people that have no idea what they're talking about and come up to me and say: "have you been eating greasy food or chocolate lately? because that must be it.... you should stop eating those things..."

surely if it were that simple, acne.org would not exist. i just hate it when people butt in especially when they have no knowledge to back up their statements.

my wife is a tech... yes some are "not so bright", they are NOT qualified or even suppose to give out ANY medical advice.....there is a high turnover cause the pay is shit..... in retail anyway.... get in a hospital and all is good....

[hats

I would have politely told her she has no clue what she's talking about...diet doesn't affect my acne...

I hate people who think they know everything about your situation right after the meet you...

WOW, your story makes me so mad I could spit nails!! GRR... I would have calmly asked to speak to the supervisor and informed them that their employee was dispensing advise that was medically unsound and unprofessional. I mean, obviously you have a prescription from an actual physician... do they think they know something that the derm doesn't?!?!?! I swear...

Yeah I work in a pharmacy (intern) so I'm right between the levels of tech and pharmacist and can give out advice if it is something I have covered in school or can look up. Our techs are nice people but have no idea about giving any drug advice, but somehow I always hear them saying stupid things anyway. A lot of people don't realize they are techs and take their word for it. I would definitely report that comment because it is most likely illegal and just plain rude.

WOW, your story makes me so mad I could spit nails!! GRR... I would have calmly asked to speak to the supervisor and informed them that their employee was dispensing advise that was medically unsound and unprofessional. I mean, obviously you have a prescription from an actual physician... do they think they know something that the derm doesn't?!?!?! I swear...

Yea..like this is some plot of my derm's to kill me. :lol:

Okay, so i spoke to the supervisor yesterday and she was really sweet and understanding and apologies were everywhere. She told me she would have a talk to all the techs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

i hate to say this..but..the technician probably just wants the best for you. yes, true, she has not been in your shoes and does not know what you feel like. but just think, if it werent for pharmacies, where would all of us be! we would all be accutane-less. ( : but really, that must have been very frustrating and offensive, and its hard to get past that. just HANG IN THERE. this is YOUR thing. accutane is going to change your skin for the better and you are going to look back in five months and realize that that technician will never go through what you have...and that makes you a much stronger person. just dont give up! sometimes accutane takes a while. it took mine four months to clear up. but now, its perfectly clear. you can do it!

Oh i know, i said that in my first post! Most definitely she meant the best for me. Her intentions were good, but I feel strongly that it wasn't professional to give out information that was so misguided to patients. My derm made the decision, and her job was to distribute the drug. The pharmacist can give advice and guidelines on how the drug should be consumed and warnings, but the tech's implication that there were better ways of treating my acne and that I could potentially commit suicide, with no prior knowledge to what i had been through, is totally insensitive and unnecessary.

No one needs that. I was disturbed but not discouraged enough to take the drug. What she said upset me, but i got over it. But as others have pointed out, her behaviour could possibly turn away potential Accutane users from getting the serious treatment they need. That's why I had to say something so hopefully it would never happen again.

one of the worst things about acne,aside from the facial disfiguration, is all of these people running around propagating these stupid old wise tales about acne, telling people to stop eating pizza and stop breathing and so forth. getting back to the main point of the post, the guy is an idiot.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I just plain don't give out advice. I don't want to be responsible for giving out bad misinformed advice.

Even if she meant well it still wasn't her place. It's between you and your doctor as to what medications you take, not you and the tech.

Don't let anyone stop you from taking the drug if that's what you've decided. I'm sorry your beginning experience involving accutane wasn't good, but I'm sure it'll get better.