Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flowerburn

The Ups and Downs of Accutane

Pre-Tane

I am holding my accutane prescription, I am so excited... 6 months from now I might actually have clear skin again!

Okay here's a brief introduction to my story. I went off hormonal birth control for a month and went back on another one and my skin exploded, I tried various different types of BCPs hoping to find one that didn't agitate my skin. I've spent hundreds of dollars fighting this breakout with topicals, no luck. My acne has been getting increasingly worse throughout the months (I've been fighting this for a year give or take).

Here's me with clear skin before all this drama:

I had a breakout here and there, and I was using BP gel at the time.

post-23588-1180628335_thumb.jpg

Here's mid-acne drama, when i thought my face was horrible. ha!

post-23588-1180628357_thumb.jpg

Here I am now (pre accutane)

post-23588-1180628364_thumb.jpg

post-23588-1180628371_thumb.jpg

And yes the right side of my face is much much worse than the left.. strangely

So now I ditch my topicals log and begin my journey with accutane, in hopes that it is bearable and does not produce any permanent side effects. I'll try to update daily (as boring as it may be). Your comments are greatly appreciated.

post-23588-1180628335_thumb.jpg

post-23588-1180628357_thumb.jpg

post-23588-1180628364_thumb.jpg

post-23588-1180628371_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about a boring log-- couldn't be worse than mine!

You're going to have GREAT results! I'm excited for you. Keep us updated!

Hey there! I started Amnesteem 42 days ago! My story is kind of like your, had mild breakouts, then all of a sudden my face exploded..for no reason!!! ( I am not on bc pills)....its kinds of strange too, my right side is sooooo much worse than my left cheek???!!

Good luck, honestly so far I have had no luck, nothing has changed, my face still looks the same, maybe even worse than when I started...sorry, just being honest.

I hope this stuff works! :pray:

You will read and hear some horror stories about Roaccutane now you've started - everyone will have an opinion even if they've never had a spot in their life!

I know that many people suffer but you never really hear about those who don't!

So...

I'm on my 7 month of roaccutane and only recently have i experienced side effects. I have dry lips and a dry nose but now I can finally see the improvements it is definitely worth it.

I've also given up alcohol and realised I can have just as much fun without it!!

I hope it works out for you too

Pre-Tane

Thanks you guys!

I'm posting like crazy tonight, I'm just so excited to hold this tiny prescription in my hand.

It says:

Accutane 40mg (is that a lot?? I only weight 122lbs) #30 /qd. <-- (what the heck that means)

Anywho.. It says 'may substitute'.. so I guess that means it is the generic brand (he said that was the only thing they prescribe).

So the other day I went accutane shopping. I bought:

Cetaphil Moisterizing Cream (in a giant tub)

Cetaphil Moisterizing lotion (pretty wimpy for my dry skin)

Blistex Lip Fusion (feels cold but works nicely)

Aveeno Intense Lip Treatment (it's carmax that smells like menthol, waste of 3 bucks)

Medicated Blistex

Suave deep therapy lotion

I'm so nervous about my skin peeling off, I have dry skin as it is.

Also I don't have to wait to start right? I can take it the next/same day?

Okay, I'll stop boring everyone with my posts now.

Pre-Tane

So tomorrow I get my prescription filled. Can I start it that day? I was going to rush all the way back to my pharmacy on lunch break if I could.

Today I woke up to three 2-headed new lesions. My acne is seeking revenge for the Accutane prescription.

ugh. :doubt:

HI!

I started today! Just wanted to wish you luck.

So it looks like you will be 40mg a day. Exactly like me! I'm on a generic, Clavaris, and i took my first pill tonight.

My acne is on my cheeks too....it just became this mess in a matter of months. It's beyond me how red and inflamed everything is on my cheeks. but we have tane now! :)

It may be wise to call the pharmacy beforehand to make sure they have it in stock. I went around to 3 pharmacies before i got my script filled.

DAY ONE

I finally got my accutane (claravis). I had to go through a bunch of doctor and insurance bulls**t which involved 4 trips to the pharmacy, but all is well. Oh and the other good news that it only cost me 7 dollars after insurance! :dance:

Hello,

My acne came out of no where when I was 28. I feel your pain, girl! I'm almost done with my treatment and the worse side effect I had was dry/swollen lips. I got this worked out by using an rx from my doc and aquaphor (the best for accutane lips). Besides that I've had dry eyes and an occasional arm rash that typically clears within a day. I was expecting to be miserable with a million side effects, but it hasnt been like that at all. And I've seen great results! I wish you much success with your course.

R :cool: xy

DAY TWO

Noticed my legs felt a bit sore, coincidence maybe?

Trying to get ahead of all the side effects before they begin.

I'm taking a vitamin E supplement along with fish oil and Alpha hydroxy.

I'm piling on the cetaphil cream, lotioning my body after the shower, and aquaporing my lips every few hours.

Hopefully i can avoid dry skin/lips if I start early.

flowerburn,

i don't know if you've seen my threads in the over-the-counter section, but i also took accutane from january to may. my face broke out severely with cystic acne and skin lesions after using proactiv solution for 5 months (see my before and after pictures at http://www.propassiv.com). as in your case, my right was worse than my left cheek. accutane removed all my acne within this time frame, but i have been left with permanent facial scarring.

anyway, accutane works wonders. i experienced mostly dryness especially on my lips. later on in the treatment, i experienced throughout my body, but lotion (i used lubriderm, suave, or cetaphil moisturizer) did the trick. i used vaseline or carmex (the squeezable version) to treat my lips. i found that these were the best after trying several others. i experienced dryness in the eyes, which caused my vision to be hazy while on accutane. i had to see an opthamalogist to make sure my eyes weren't getting bad. thank god it was only dryness. to deal with this, i got glasses and only wore my contacts at work.

put it this way, after a month, you're going to start seeing minor improvements. after two months, you'll be saying ok, ok. on your third month, you'll be smiling and saying WOW. on your fourth, you'll be one happy girl with a clear face.

by the way, initially in january, similar to omgong, i started off with 20mg a day, after a week, my doctor put me on 40mg a day for two weeks, and after that, i was on 60mg a day for the rest of the program. this was to avoid further breakouts and to allow my body to get used to the medication (ask your doctor about this). the mg is based on your weight, and i'm only 135lb. generally, the rule is half your body weight or close to it, according to my doctor. i would ask your doctor about this.

are you getting regular blood tests by the way? initially, i was getting blood tests every two weeks, after a month or two, i got blood tests once a month to monitor my progress with accutane.

you're face is going to look so good after the treatment so stay positive.

anyway, keep us posted.

chris

DAY THREE

Skin starting to flake a bit more than normal (I have naturally dry flaky skin). Noticing a lot more tiny lesions that popped up over night, i don't even worry anymore.. I'm just waiting it out.

I tried to go to the gym today but I was way too tired. I'm ready for bed and it's only 8...

Hopefully this isn't from the medication. :sleep:

flowerburn,

are you getting regular blood tests by the way? initially, i was getting blood tests every two weeks, after a month or two, i got blood tests once a month to monitor my progress with accutane.

It's important that you get blood tests at least once a month to see how your body is reacting to accutane, as it can affect the liver.

Day Three

Skin starting to flake a bit more than normal (I have naturally dry flaky skin). Noticing a lot more tiny lesions that popped up over night, i don't even worry anymore.. I'm just waiting it out.

I tried to go to the gym today but I was way too tired. I'm ready for bed and it's only 8...

Hopefully this isn't from the medication. :sleep:

flowerburn,

No, I'm not, actually. It surprised me that my doctor didn't mention them at all. I would have brought them up, but honestly I didn't want anything to get between me and that prescription. I'll bring it up at my next doctor visit.

DAY FOUR

4:12pm

Okay, I should be studying.. but no, I'm fooling around on this site. I think the stress of the end of the semester (finals! gasp! :shock: ) is getting to me.

I woke up this morning to clearer skin, no joke. I know this won't last and I'll have my initial breakout soon enough, but I think my face was giving me a sneak preview.

My lips are dry today, but again that could be due to the cold weather. It went from 65 degrees down to 18 this week! brr....

Alright back to art history... yes.. study....

6:14 pm

ugghh... dryyyy lips. I'm running around the house clutching the Aquaphor..

8:47pm

Yes I know I’m editing every few hours.. I’ve been sitting here at the computer the last 6 hours and well.. my dry lips keep reminding me about my accutane

I forgot to mention how unbelievably perky I’ve been the last 3 days.. I had 3 rolls of film ruined this morning (some asshole used up all the fixer and I was scraping the drops out in hopes to save my film) and I wasn’t that upset. I thought accutane was going to reinforce my depression.. but who knows this could be a fluke.

Okay I'll stop posting now... I promise :redface:

Hey, good luck with your journey, im sure it will clear you right up and you should enjoy clear skin in no time.

After 2-3 weeks you should start to see it working eg. blackheads fall out, oil production almost stops, and at the 2 month mark things really start to happen. I wish i could have taken photos all along but i was trying to get on with my life and enjoy my days without acne so time sorta flew by and i didnt post for ages!

Yea dry lips is a problem, i find the best thing to do every few days is just with a back scrub thingy just gently wipe off the skin on the lips in the shower, then a new layer comes up which is very smooth, only for 2 days tops then its back to dry stage agen. Repeat. lol.

Simo x

DAY FIVE

After 2-3 weeks you should start to see it working eg. blackheads fall out, oil production almost stops, and at the 2 month mark things really start to happen.

Hi there- I live in the UK and started Accutane (Isotretinoin) seven weeks ago.

I am 27 years old and i'm on 40mg a day until my dermatologist says so. I have had a moderate spot problem since early teenage hood! and when I came of the birth control pill (just over a year ago) like you did I also broke out big time which lead me to investigate accutane. I had to see a private derm in the end as our NHS system had a 6 month waiting time. It was very expensive but within one week of my appointment I had popped my first pills (2x 20mg once a day).

I just wanted to say that my inital outbreak accured around the 2 week mark and lasted another 2-3 weeks (sorry) and this was my lowest point. I got cysts on my cheeks which i never had prior to accutane. I didnt go out, missed meals out with my fiancee and generally hated seeing my face in the mirror. I am now at week 7 and can honestly say i'd do it all again because I actually now look like I only have a minor skin problem as i'm vertually spot free. Luckily for me the redness is fading and I have been lucky enough not to scar so i'm really positive about my skin at the moment!

I think the success has been due to taking the tablets at the last meal of the day with food which is higher in fat content. The tablets absorb better and work off the fat in your food (so I believe?!) which actually improves the efficency of the drug. I have read logs from people who have not seen great benifits or have been slow to show improvement and they all seem to take their pills in the morning with little fatty foods- its just a suggestion to bear in mind!!

Anyways good luck to you- keep your head up and stay positive. I was very pesamistic about the results but i'm already seeing good ones at only 7 weeks! :D

ohmigod you are going to LOVE TANE!

take pictures every few weeks and you'll be able to see your progress. Can't wait to see your log when you post how clear you are ;)

by the way, sorry to hear you are one of the many unlucky ones to have hormonal birth control totally screw up your skin! :(

HIIIIIIIIIIII!

thought i'd check in and see how it was going for you since we're on the same day. GET YOUR BLOOD TESTED monthly ... liver problems can only be avoided if detected early.

i'm glad you're starting to see changes. do u put make up on? im scared to cuz i feel like i shouldn't mess with my skin at all. and do you feel like you have a sunburn? check out my log and let me know ...i'm starting to feel tired too...

Day five (again)

MY PORES LOOK CONSTIPATED!! My chin looks as if someone through a fine sand on it.. the texture of my cheeks is that of a forty-year smoker. My skin felt heavy today, as if I was wearing a thick lotion. I caught I glimpse of myself while driving to my next class and was shocked to see I was shiny and my makeup was really grainy. I feel as if I hadn’t washed my face in a few days.. yuck. I just want to take some facial scrub to it, but I know that would not be a wise decision.

I think the success has been due to taking the tablets at the last meal of the day with food which is higher in fat content. The tablets absorb better and work off the fat in your food (so I believe?!) which actually improves the efficency of the drug. I have read logs from people who have not seen great benifits or have been slow to show improvement and they all seem to take their pills in the morning with little fatty foods- its just a suggestion to bear in mind!!

Just checking in with you, sweetie! God, I can't imagine studying and going to class---- you poor thing! All I want to do is lie on the couch and sleep.

Hang in there---- Month 2 is SO much better!

DAY SIX

My pores aren’t as grainy as they were yesterday, which is good. I decided to put on very little makeup this morning so if I have another oil attack it won’t slide off and turn into little grains of makeup. I had a nose bleed this morning out of the blue, luckily I was still at home and smeared some Vaseline in my nasal passages too keep them from drying out.

My face is getting redder as the day goes on, I look and feel as though I have a sunburn. :redface:

I ate a big fatty breakfast this morning with my pill: oatmeal, two eggs, peanut butter and an apple, and some hot cocoa (made with milk)

God, I can't imagine studying and going to class---- you poor thing! All I want to do is lie on the couch and sleep.

Cute boots! ;)

Wow I can't believe you got a nosebleed on day 6. This must be working very fast for you. Just wait till your dr. bumps you up to 2 pills/day, it is a pain in the @$$! I have the hardest time coordinating 2 fatty meals. I don't want to eat bad all the time!

dont worry, my nose felt like sand paper around two weeks ago and i swear its smooth now. By the way im on day 33, good luck and keep positive and im sure we'll both be clear by summer.