Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happygurl

Apple Cider Vinegar

Hi Guys,

I joined acne.org and decided to post on the message board only to share a tip on clearing and preventing acne, cleansing from the inside OUT.

Back in May, my boyfriend was suffering from seasonal allergies (yes, I digress, but I have a point, please keep reading!!!), and his mother advised him to dilute a teaspoon or two of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR in a glass of water (3X a day). This was an "old cure" she found in her gigantic "Old English Remedies" book that is easily several centuries old. She claimed that the ACV helped to flush out toxins from the liver and intestinal tract, thereby enabling the systems to work more efficiently.

"Yeah, whatever," I thought. But much to my own surprise, the ACV did help my boyfriend's allergies, and, although nothing can really replace Claritin on a lush spring day, it was an excellent supplement. (By the way, only ORGANIC apple cider vinegar should be used for this purpose, because it is unprocessed and retains more of the original beneficial minerals.)

This got the gears going in my own head. (I have suffered with mild to moderate acne since I was 15. I'm now 25, and I had been frustrated well into my 20s that I have not outgrown this.) I googled everything about Apple Cider Vinegar "flushing toxins out of the body," and found a substantial amount of pages devoted to this very subject.

I started drinking 1-2 tsp of ACV in a glass of water, 3X a day. And I tell you...it worked WONDERS. For about a month, I had clear, clean, beautiful skin.

And THEN, in July sometime, because I'm silly...I thought to myself, "Oh, it's probably not the ACV that cleared my skin. It's probably all the water I'm drinking, or some miracle cream I've been using." (I was using MANY at the time...)

I stopped using the ACV and just stuck to drinking tons of water. And guess what?? The acne came back, in all the places it had become comfortable in over the past ten years (cheeks, chin, jawline, forehead, etc.). I had new pimples on a daily basis, I had scars from old breakouts, and I could even feel new, more painful ones forming underneath the surface of my skin.

In early November, I figured I would try the ACV remedy just one more time, only this time, I would STICK WITH IT for one month, and I would minimize my use of beauty products. I wanted the process of elimination to determine whether it was the ACV, or if I had in fact been correct in my theories the previous May.

In terms of skincare, I became rather complacent about it all, really, I only used bar soap and hot water. No toner. No moisturizer. No sublock. NADA. I didn't even use ACV topically. I also took the makeup down a notch after reading what kind of horrible ingredients are included in even the best cosmetic lines.

SO. One month later...Drum roll PLEASE...

I am clean and clear for GOOD. I am so sure now that ACV is responsible for controlling my acne, that I'm willing to bet my life on it. (Okay, maybe not my life, but definitely my house!) I have scars remaining from past breakouts, but I don't have ONE nasty little pimple waiting in the wings.

Everyday, I drink one tsp of ACV in every bottle of water I drink. This gentle dilution also minimizes enamel erosion on teeth, in case anyone is worried about that. As to taste...what can I say? It's not the greatest, but it is possible to get used to the stuff and to start liking the citrusy flavor.

Nowadays, I usually drink between 2-3 litres of water per day, each serving of which has at least 1 tsp of ACV in it. If I drink a large 1.5 liter bottle, I will put 4-5 tsp of ACV in it.

As a cleanser, I use whatever happens to be around. I recently used Aveeno's calming foaming whatcha-ma-callit at my mom's house, and it seems to make my skin feel very soft to the touch. To heal the scars from previous breakouts, I do swear by Aveeno correction lotion (this is temporary until the scars disappear) and, as a moisturizer, I just use Ultra Protection Water-Based Sunscreen Lotion SPF 25 by Kiehl's. (I am very unhappy about some of the ingredients, i.e., Ethylparaben and Methylparaben, etc., but have yet to find a natural alternative for sunblock, and I am determined to age well, so...my options seem limited.)

I swear by Apple Cider Vinegar, and I joined acne.org for the sole purpose of sharing this information. I know what it's like to feel too embarrassed to go somewhere because of breakouts. I sympathize with those who use makeup to cover up what they're too ashamed to show. And I understand the sensation of walking down the street, literally green with envy, of the person adjacent, who happens to have been born with flawless, beautiful skin.

I also have to say that I don't know if this will work for everyone, whether I just happened to be lucky enough to discover this remedy, or whether I happen to have the "right" genetic make up needed to respond to ACV. But I would encourage that this is worth a try for anyone with troubled skin.

Be patient, persistent, and consistent.

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to offer whatever help I can. I'm certainly not a doctor, I don't work for any cosmetics companies, and I certainly don't endorse or sell any products or any of that. I am, however, an extremely HappyGurl, who just won one of the biggest battles of her life. In the end, though, lesson learned, I didn't have to fight it out, I just flushed it out.

Good night and good luck :)

HappyGurl

That sounds amazing, I have been thinking about doing the apple cider vinegar thing for a while, but was a little unsure. I was going to do it topically but reading your experience with drinking it, I might try that. Thanks for coming here and sharin gyour story :).

Thanks so much for your message! The only thing you might want to consider before starting to drink ACV diluted in water, is the taste. It's something that I had to get used to, and you might have to too. Try not to get too turned-off at first, though, at least not before you give it a chance to yield some good results. :)

HappyGurl

I might try it ! and i dont care how it taste like lol i wanna get clear damn it ! , by the way...does it hurt if your drinking some certain meds pills or anything like that?

I don't think it interferes with any medications...

I once researched whether ACV interferes with Birth Control Pills, and the google-ing came back with a negative majority.

Good luck to you!

HappyGurl :)

What's the ratio you started drinking it at? Did you keep it consistent?

Hi Markkm:

I started with a 1/2 tsp in a .5L bottle. Gradually, I moved it up to 1 tsp per .5L bottle (when I got used to the taste...). I wouldn't suggest using more than 2 tsps to a .5L bottle, only because it might be too hard on your stomach. You might be able to take more, but I personally couldn't. It does help with digestion, though, if you drink ACV (diluted in water) with or right after a meal.

Now that I've had some great results with this, I realize that consistency is key. After a solid month, you will know if you are seeing results or if it just doesn't work for you.

Good luck!

hm...now that i think of it. my acne was somewhat better when i did consume some tsp of ACV a day.

i went through a whole bottle and got lazy...maybe ill get back to it

I might try it ! and i dont care how it taste like lol i wanna get clear damn it ! , by the way...does it hurt if your drinking some certain meds pills or anything like that?

who is the model in your avatar? she looks familar

back to the topic this is bullocks!

so your telling me you drink 1 tsp with each glass of water

?

5 tsp a day?

what about the sodium thats gotta be a bit much dont ya think especially if you have high blood pressure...how much sodium does vinegar have?

I know about wiping your face at night with ACV after steaming your face and washing it with a mild cleanser...but i never heard of ingesting it.

I just know that it works for me, although I'm sure it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Good luck finding what works for you, though! (and by the way, it's "bOllocks," not "bullocks.")

?

5 tsp a day?

what about the sodium thats gotta be a bit much dont ya think especially if you have high blood pressure...how much sodium does vinegar have?

I know about wiping your face at night with ACV after steaming your face and washing it with a mild cleanser...but i never heard of ingesting it.

I just know that it works for me, although I'm sure it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Good luck finding what works for you, though! (and by the way, it's "bOllocks," not "bullocks.")

ya i know but i typed it bull instead of boll similar to when somene says thats BULL! like BS Bullsh*t lol.

anyway ill check the sodium on that vinegar.

cant you just mix it with fruit juice? and down it.

?

5 tsp a day?

RE: bOllocks. Read: www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html -- The sentence: "It has also been reported that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar in water has soaring blood pressure under control in two weeks!" -- might be of interest to you.

?

5 tsp a day?

RE: bOllocks. Read: www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html -- The sentence: "It has also been reported that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar in water has soaring blood pressure under control in two weeks!" -- might be of interest to you.

hmmm i think ill try it then! lol

On my ACV bottle (which is Bragg's), the nutritional information says "Sodium: 0."

But I don't know, maybe there are others which have a lot of added sodium? Also, about dosage: Some people recommend to drink 2 tablespoons (not teaspoons) of ACV to each GLASS of water. For me, this is too much...I can't really deal with the taste. But 5 tsps is about as much as you'd use on a salad.

Who knows, at the end of the day? But new things are always worth a try. I personally haven't tried it in fruit juice, but I'm sure it would be fine too, and would probably help out with improving the taste... :P

I dont know i did some research and they say its a wives tale!

and its not medically backed.

The Real Story

There is no scientific evidence that apple cider vinegar has any medicinal properties. While the folksy anecdotes from those who claim to have benefited from apple cider vinegar tonics may be amusing to read, they are simply that -- anecdotes.

The Real Story

There is no scientific evidence that apple cider vinegar has any medicinal properties. While the folksy anecdotes from those who claim to have benefited from apple cider vinegar tonics may be amusing to read, they are simply that -- anecdotes.

Well, hey -- ya never know. :) They can't prove that diet is linked to acne either, but everytime I used to eat chocolate, Rudolph always lent me his nose the next morning...

The ACV thing worked for me very well, but it may not work for others as well or at all. We all have to find out what works for our skins, respectively. This is just one of fifty billion alternative ways to try and work through the problem.

Cheers,

The Real Story

Well who cares if its not medically backed up. If it works, it works! :angel:

I've heard some people put it in V8 vegetable juice and you can't detect the taste at all. I didn't know about the blood pressure thing; I'll have to be sure to tell my family (high blood pressure is a trait). Thx for the info....

The Real Story

Well, hey -- ya never know. :) They can't prove that diet is linked to acne either, but everytime I used to eat chocolate, Rudolph always lent me his nose the next morning...

The ACV thing worked for me very well, but it may not work for others as well or at all. We all have to find out what works for our skins, respectively. This is just one of fifty billion alternative ways to try and work through the problem.

Cheers,

that sucks cause i love DARK chocolate!

I drink dark chocolate 75 percent cacao at night since its cold but with little milk.

interesting...^^

do you apply it topically? only drinking it right...

hmm.

did your pimples just stop forming immediately, or was it a gradual thing =)

interesting...^^

hmm.

i think everything is gradual....even accutane takes time.

usually like every other remedy the pimples under the skin in hibernation become active and for the first few days you will get more pimples coming out cause they are being pushed out.

the apple cidar vinegar is very acidic...so im guessing you have to eat a good 30 minutes before you drink it...

interesting...^^

hmm.

I think lots of people use it topically, but I personally don't. I hear it helps to balance the PH of skin...

It was a relatively gradual process. I just put blinders on and stuck with it, trying not to worry about seeing results, and last week (about the third week in), low and behold, I realized that I stopped breaking out altogether. Not one new pimple.

Matty Boy,

I don't see why trying it would be a problem, even if you are on Accutane. I'm not a doctor, though, so you might want to research the subject further on your own.

Are there foods you are supposed to avoid in general while taking Accutane? If not, I imagine having a little bit of ACV in water would be absolutely fine.

Good luck,

mine just says cider cinegar, not apple cider. WOuld this be different?