Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spookyfish

My Regimen... Try it!

I've had about 2 years of experimenting with doctors and dermatologists and prescription and over the counter meds, and I have finally found a regimen that (when I use it regularly) keeps me clear to a point where I'm comfortable going outside again. I've been a lurker for a while, and I've found a lot of posts here helpful, so I thought I'd give back by sharing my regimen. Hopefully it'll help others here:

Morning: Shower (if my face is oily, I wash it with Irish Spring soap, recommended by my dermatologist, helps remove the oil). Then (while still in the shower) I wash with Clean and Clear 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash for 20 or 30 seconds. Then I rinse that off. After I dry my face, I use Duac Gel, not too much to avoid irritation, but just enough to cover my face and nose.

Night (before bed): Wash face with the Clean and Clear 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash for 20 to 30 seconds, and then rinse off. Then I use Differin Gel, just enough to have a light coat all over my face. Too much will cause irritation, it only needs to be a little bit to work.

Midday, if needed due to oil buildup, I'll wash with the Irish Spring soap, and usually I'll wash with just a little bit of the Clean and CLear 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash to make sure it's still in my pores. However, this can be irritating using it 3 times a day, so I try to only do this when I feel that I really need to, like on really humid days or days that I've been sweating a lot.

Also, it's important to just use your hands and fingers, I've found that wash clothes usually have too many chemicals and dyes and such which can just make things worse.

My face does tend to get red, so I use a little bit of vinegar mixed with about a quart of water to rinse my face off after using the Clean and Clear Benzoyl Peroxide 10% face wash. This was actually recommended by my dermatologist, at first I didn't think she was serious, but I tried it, and after about 2 weeks of regular use I noticed my face was much less red. Just be sure to rinse again with regular water after you use the vinegar mix, unless you want to smell like vinegar! This may not work for you, or you may just have a day where it doesn't help and your face looks really red. But would you rather have lots of zits, or maybe one tiny zit and a bit of red skin? Also, I was using a moisturizer designed for the face thinking this would help the redness, but it really only made me feel more oily and never had a positive effect. The vinegar seems to do a much better job of reducing the redness.

I think the key element of this regimen is the constant use of benzoyl peroxide, but the other ingredients in the differin and duac are also needed for full efficiency, at least for me.

Also, it is VERY IMPORTANT to do this EVERY MORNING and EVERY NIGHT on a schedule! If I sleep in, or forget to do the night part, my face WILL break out! It's not a matter of if, but when! You have to keep yourself on schedule and on track no matter what!

And my last tip will be DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE! It'll just make things worse, the only time you should touch your face is while your washing.

Anyway, hopefully this will be helpful to you! On a side note, it seems that once I got my face clear, my chest, back, scalp, and legs started breaking out.. sad.gif it's a never ending battle!

A lot of people use this C&C BP cleanser, how do you find it? How long have you been doing this regimen? Has your acne reduced and is this regimen helping your red scars?

Sorry bombarding you with questions. O:)

A lot of people use this C&C BP cleanser, how do you find it? How long have you been doing this regimen? Has your acne reduced and is this regimen helping your red scars? 

Sorry bombarding you with questions. O:)

I'm interested in the vinegar making your face less red. DO you think it would work with hyperpigmentation as well?

wouldnt the redness go away after 2 weeks anyway?

mine did when i was on dans regimen..