Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ephemeral

Acne related to diet? or maybe not?

Some dermetologists I've visited say acne is related to diet, others claim that there is no connection whatsoever. A good amount of people on the acne.org boards, claim diet is the main factor involved, whereas an equal amount of people claim the opposite, maintaining that diet and acne are unrelated. Since I am unqualified to say, I have no idea who is right. I just wanted to start this thread to get a conclusive answer on whether their related or not, once and for all.

Some members point out that people in third world countries tend to have no acne whatsoever, even though they live in dirt and grime, without any acne products whatsoever. The idea is that the American/european/canadian & australian people have dietary tendancies which encourage acne, like high-meat diets, fast food, and sugar.

It would seem to me, that a few scientific tests could determine beyond the shadow of a doubt, how acne and diet are related if at all. Why is this issue still contraversial, it shouldn't be!

Seems to me that, even if you believe in the connection, the problem is in determining what foods cause the problem, because it seems to be different things for different people. Another layer of complexity is that just because diet may contribute to the cause of the problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be fixed by a change in diet.

Seems to me that, even if you believe in the connection, the problem is in determining what foods cause the problem, because it seems to be different things for different people.

To quote JBHK ... the problem with the orthodox perspecive on acne and diet is that it fails to see the connection because a third step is missing. If you've read something about the developmet of acne vulgaris you know that several physiological processes are involved. You will also see that a first clear conclusion is the acne develops thanks to an "disfunctional physiology"

Now what is the cause of a "disfunctional physiology"?

It is failing or achieving to maintain the homeostasis of anabolism and catabolism in your body

With that I mean that we're not the "products" of our biological parents anymore because our tissues and organs are destructed and reconstructed every year. With this I means that we're indeed "products of what we eat". We're literally made of the junk or healthy food that we eat.

Our physiology is made of the food we eat and hence a functional physiology is made of the food we eat

We can build with the minerals, vitamins, phytonutrients, fats and protein a functional physiology or we can fail to achieve this by not providing healthy material for the "construction" and providing more toxins (referred as by-products of metabolism that an healthy-body and health nutrients from foods are able to buffer and destroy or reconvert in needed nutrients) than nutrition

See my last post "reductionist vs. global pattern approach"

The reductionist approach fails to see the forest thorugh the trees

And such approach explains why we have so many paradoxes and so many things seems not to make sense

In the instance of acne and diet it seems not to make sense how certain foods are touted as "safe" by certain people and "acne-inducing" by others

What I'm suggesting is to abandon the reductionist view of trying to blame it on one instance, on one food, on one indulgence. Abandoning the belief that it's a matter of whether you can remove a pizza from a terrible diet or adding an ice-cream to a optimal diet

Your skin is completely "destroyed" and "reconstructed" every three months, new pimples makes 6 to 12 weeks to form and become visible. The skin we have today is the result of past choices not of the pizza slice we had yesterday.

Human physiology is a delicate balance that however thrives on simple and easy obtained staples and principles not on complex fads. Acne feeds of a disrupt physiological balance

No kind of disrupt balance has ever been restored by focusing on one or two small details

A balance is made of the whole pattern of all the details it is comprised of

And it is onyl focusing on this whole pattern that it can be restored

It's only a whole pattern of proper vitamins, minerals, phytos intake, fats and proteins not denaturated, fresh foods, instinctive caloric control, proper defense against toxins, other kind of balances (calcium-magnesium, potassium-sodium, zinc-potassium, iron-bismuth) lack of stress when eating (new theories involve the effect of cortisol during food digestion as the cause of many diseases including CVD)

Bottom line is that if you want to understand the connection between acne and diet (and take advantage of it to improve) you must finally focus on the forest ... not the trees

Another layer of complexity is that just because diet may contribute to the cause of the problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be fixed by a change in diet.

Not quickly at least. If a storm destroys a village it doesn't mean that removing the cause (the storm) by protecting the ruins with some kind of barrier, will result in the instant village reconstruction ... almost by magic. But give enough time to the builders and slowly the village will be restored and rebuilt ... as long as during this lond and tough work it is protected by further attacks from the storm

Hey Danny,

I definitely agree with what you say. I'm still so confused though over why certain foods, stress, certain medications etc. seem to break certain people out overnight if pimples take so long to form?

I definitely think there's a connection. Intuition tells me that if I'm breaking out, something is internally out of balance, and the foods I eat definitely affect the balance of my body.

Hey Danny,

I definitely agree with what you say. I'm still so confused though over why certain foods, stress, certain medications etc. seem to break certain people out overnight if pimples take so long to form?

A pimple can take anywhere up to 12 weeks to form beginning to end. Th epore clogs up and then it takes time for that to become inflamed, if it does, from a trigger. You can have cloged pores that never become pimples if you can control inflammation, but a trigger food or event can inflame that pimple in a matter of hours is the reaction is strong enough.

Think of it this way: Say a clogged pore is a firecracker. A firecracker is pretty benign when it's not lit, it just sits there, uneventful and boring. It takes an event or trigger to light it and cause it to explode. In this case, a lighter. The fuse is lit, it burns down for a few seconds and then the firework explodes. Trigger foods or stress are like lighters lighting the fuse. An acute food allergy can produce breakouts overnight, whcih would mean it has a short fuse. Something else may take 1-2 weeks to trigger a pimple, a longer fuse.

Hopefully, no trigger, no explosion (breakout). (I hope that wasn't too convoluted an analogy).

Guest molly_jean_comments
Seems to me that, even if you believe in the connection, the problem is in determining what foods cause the problem, because it seems to be different things for different people. Another layer of complexity is that just because diet may contribute to the cause of the problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be fixed by a change in diet.

I agree :)

Think of it this way: Say a clogged pore is a firecracker. A firecracker is pretty benign when it's not lit, it just sits there, uneventful and boring. It takes an event or trigger to light it and cause it to explode. In this case, a lighter. The fuse is lit, it burns down for a few seconds and then the firework explodes. Trigger foods or stress are like lighters lighting the fuse. An acute food allergy can produce breakouts overnight, whcih would mean it has a short fuse. Something else may take 1-2 weeks to trigger a pimple, a longer fuse.

I have only one known food trigger - shrimp. Post-Accutane my pores are very clear, but shrimp still gives me a breakout 24-48 hours later - i assume this to be what they call an acneform rash. The lesions feel different from my normal acne - they are puffy and inflamed, but there's nothing to them (no hard core like my nodules/cysts/papules had, and no pus) and they fade away pretty quickly.