Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_MaGic_DuSt_

Have you had success with Green Smoothies?

Have you had success with Green Smoothies?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had success with Green Smoothies?

• Yes. A huge improvement!
    • No. No improvement at all.
    • A little bit of improvement.

people should of course only vote if they've been doing this consistently for at least 6 weeks.

I agree! You shouldn't vote unless you're doing at least 4 cups a day 6 days a week... How many can say they're doing that? For those that haven't gotten improvement, I suspect they're still eating very poorly and perhaps aren't being consistent with their smoothies.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman (www.drfuhrman.com, a doctor for the Discovery Health Channel, gives leafy greens his number one recommendation for those with acne. I do believe they will work for most people if they are willing to give just a "little" effort.

Magic Dust - please don't get discouraged by what others say. The only way to truly tell if they will work for you is to give them a try yourself for at least 6 week, maybe longer. It took about 6 weeks before my skin cleared up. I recommend a fairly healthy diet (doesn't have to be perfect - at least 80% healthy though!) consisting of whole, real foods to go along with them as well. I eat mostly vegan with small amount of animal foods - fruit/leafy greens/veggies, beans, legumes, brown rice, oats, nuts/seed, etc. If one is eating greasy, fried foods all day, the smoothies might not work for them.

You are the only person that can truly determine whether or not they will work, and, we all need to be eating fruits and leafy greens everyday anyway for good health, right? For health reasons alone, the smoothies are excellent and are a quick and easy way to get in your fruits/greens. What do you have to lose by giving them a try? I hope you will! :)

I don't think it'll do anything for acne but it's probably great for overall health.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman, a doctor for The Disovery Health Channel, who works with Dr. Mehmet Oz (Oprah's doctor) would beg to differ with you. :) He highly recommends leafy greens for people with acne. So yeah, they definitely work. What information have you studied that makes you think they wouldn't work for acne? Also, they work amazingly well for my acne, and for many others on this board as well. They work! :)

Independent Thinker,

basically, this HAS to be done 4 times a day? how many ml per serving?

i want to start doing this next week, i don't have a problem keeping and following a diet.

i was also curious, will this give me diarreah? :|

and btw, have YOU, personally, had good results with this?

Independent Thinker,

basically, this HAS to be done 4 times a day? how many ml per serving?

i want to start doing this next week, i don't have a problem keeping and following a diet.

i was also curious, will this give me diarreah? :|

and btw, have YOU, personally, had good results with this?

Yes, like I said above, they work awesome for me - that's why I promote them to others so much. LOL The key is to drink 4 CUPS a day - you can drink them all at once or however you like. I can't predict whether or not they'll give you diarrhea, but I wouldn't think so - just do a couple cups the first day, instead of 4, if you're worried about that. I don't know how many ml are in a cup, sorry. Try searching google for miligram/cup conversions. For more in depth info, check out my post about them: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917 Since you do well following a diet/regime, this should be a piece of cake for you! Good luck, and I hope you see fast results! :)

P.S. I love your screen name! :)

muahaha i'll start this on monday(that's when i go glocery shopping each week). i just hope it won't give me diarreah LOL. maybe i should buy metamucil fiber powder to add into it hm.

yay, i hope so too. i'll keep you updated.

ps: thanks!:P

muahaha i'll start this on monday(that's when i go glocery shopping each week). i just hope it won't give me diarreah LOL. maybe i should buy metamucil fiber powder to add into it hm.

it gives me diarreah :(

should I start with small amounts of greens?

I agree! You shouldn't vote unless you're doing at least 4 cups a day 6 days a week... How many can say they're doing that? For those that haven't gotten improvement, I suspect they're still eating very poorly and perhaps aren't being consistent with their smoothies.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman (www.drfuhrman.com, a doctor for the Discovery Health Channel, gives leafy greens his number one recommendation for those with acne. I do believe they will work for most people if they are willing to give just a "little" effort.

I haven't got any improvment yet and it's been 2 weeks now. My diet is probably not the problem as I have a VERY strict diet for a long time now(no dairy at all, no fastfood for years, no greasy thing, almost no meat, lots of veggies and fruits, a lot of fish as sardines, salmon without salt, almost or no grain at all, etc). It's just to show you that the smoothies might not work for everybody, please do not say it's because of faulty diet or people not given a "little" effort. I DO hope it'll work for me because nothing else seem to do. As I said in another post even if they aren't doing anything I'll continue them anyway...

That's great! Yes, just start out slowly with them. I don't know about adding fiber - they already have so much fiber as it is.

it gives me diarreah :(

should I start with small amounts of greens?

You could do that, and you could also start with maybe one cup a day and work your way up. :)

I haven't got any improvment yet and it's been 2 weeks now. My diet is probably not the problem as I have a VERY strict diet for a long time now(no dairy at all, no fastfood for years, no greasy thing, almost no meat, lots of veggies and fruits, a lot of fish as sardines, salmon without salt, almost or no grain at all, etc). It's just to show you that the smoothies might not work for everybody, please do not say it's because of faulty diet or people not given a "little" effort. I DO hope it'll work for me because nothing else seem to do. As I said in another post even if they aren't doing anything I'll continue them anyway...

As The Who? and I have already stated above, you must give them AT LEAST 6 WEEKS. Please don't get discouraging yet, as you aren't even to the half way point yet. :) Your diet sounds excellent, and it is my guess that the smoothies will work for you. Sorry, but in order to help others, I will continue to say that that a very faulty diet may possibly keep one from achieving results with the smoothies, because no matter how many smoothies you're drinking, it's just common sense that if the diet is mostly full of junk, that person will not experience results. People need to know this if they want to succeed, and I want people to succeed. As for the smoothies as being of "little" effort - they are! Seriously, how much effort is 10 minutes every other day?? LOL

It gives me an energy boost in a way that's different from caffeine. I really like it. :)

Awesome! :)

Changing your diet will only do but so much if you have congested bowels, a congested liver, and/or candidiasis.

In other words; I juiced, took supplements, at very healthy and clean for years and it did not clear me. It can help, no doubt, but if food aggravates acne, then there are other underlying issues present (named above).

For example, today I juiced two small apples, some swiss chard, half a cucumber, and some dandelion greens....that is precisely the type of stuff I juiced for many years and still wasn't clear.

In other words.....just adding one thing into your diet generally will not clear you up unless you have extremely mild acne.....

Changing your diet will only do but so much if you have congested bowels, a congested liver, and/or candidiasis.

In other words; I juiced, took supplements, at very healthy and clean for years and it did not clear me. It can help, no doubt, but if food aggravates acne, then there are other underlying issues present (named above).

For example, today I juiced two small apples, some swiss chard, half a cucumber, and some dandelion greens....that is precisely the type of stuff I juiced for many years and still wasn't clear.

In other words.....just adding one thing into your diet generally will not clear you up unless you have extremely mild acne.....

Hey denise, I know that liver flushing cleared your acne, but did it also clear up other health issues? Did you have any absorption problems or stool problems? Also I have very dry skin will this work for dry skin?

Yes, and my acne was more on the mild side, even though it was leaving behind scars, and, my diet was already pretty healthy. I wish people understood more about the connection you stated above. I wish I didn't have to be so dependant on the green smoothies to stay clear - I'm thinking of doing a liver cleanse soon, myself. Dr. Joel Fuhrman though seems to believe that diet alone can create big changes and that leafy greens do wonders for acne, so I do think the green smoothies have the possibilty to help lots of people with their acne. I really respect what he says.

Yes, and my acne was more on the mild side, even though it was leaving behind scars, and, my diet was already pretty healthy. I wish people understood more about the connection you stated above. I wish I didn't have to be so dependant on the green smoothies to stay clear - I'm thinking of doing a liver cleanse soon, myself. Dr. Joel Fuhrman though seems to believe that diet alone can create big changes and that leafy greens do wonders for acne, so I do think the green smoothies have the possibilty to help lots of people with their acne. I really respect what he says.

Without trying to sound like a stinker, the good Dr. is simply wrong in probably 85% of people with acne. I did all kinds of things to clear my acne for many years; I'm 42 years old and started breaking out at age 11. Nothing allopathic medicine did helped me....matter of fact, I got worse and worse and worse. I got the revelation about candida, detoxing, eating clean, etc....back in 89-90. I still wasn't clear for years but didn't want to go on Accutane, so I just struggled, and spent mega $$$ trying to clear myself, but nothing worked, even though I juiced everyday (I still do most days), ate very clean, etc.......

Again...you want to get to the point to where eating certain foods DON'T break you out. Who wants to live their lives indefinitely abstaining from certain foods? Think about having a family and children....that doesn't fly too well, believe me.

Hey denise, I know that liver flushing cleared your acne, but did it also clear up other health issues? Did you have any absorption problems or stool problems? Also I have very dry skin will this work for dry skin?

I had a lot of health problems besides acne; matter of fact, my body was completely breaking down when I started liverflushing. I couldn't digest red meat well at all, and now I can eat red meat with no problems (though I rarely do). Practically everything I ate broke me out.....it was a living nightmare. I had severe chemical sensitivies and would almost pass out when I pumped gas or walk into the craft store past the plastic flower section....I'm not exaggerating. It was horrific. My blood sugar was crazy....my menses was crazy.....I had various health problems over the years....I had weird heart palipitations at one time that had no cause......my joints were totally locked up in my right hand so bad I couldn't open a door (thanks to antibiotics abuse)....I had a very, very, very, severe case of irisitis that could have caused me to go blind. So yes, I had a lot of health problems and currently I have NONE.

To me, liverflushing works well when you combine it with a total detox plan (including bowel cleansing).

i doubt anything other than accutane will help people with severe acne especially if its gene/hormone related.

Again...you want to get to the point to where eating certain foods DON'T break you out. Who wants to live their lives indefinitely abstaining from certain foods? Think about having a family and children....that doesn't fly too well, believe me.

Exactly! That why I'd like to look into doing a liver cleanse, because I don't like being so dependant on doing the green smoothies to keep my face clear.

i doubt anything other than accutane will help people with severe acne especially if its gene/hormone related.

I have never gone on Accutane and my acne was moderate to (mostly) severe. I am clear now and can eat whatever I want with minimal breakouts.

Exactly! That why I'd like to look into doing a liver cleanse, because I don't like being so dependant on doing the green smoothies to keep my face clear.

I believe in eating healthy and clean but let's face it.....that's not possible with anyone 100% of the time. Everybody likes to have a treat once in a while or eat pizza once in a while. You can't live your life in paranoia or fear and become obsessed about food. Saying all that to say....the dilemma IS.....why do certain foods break us out? Answer THAT, and you have the answer as to how you can cure your acne.

I believe in eating healthy and clean but let's face it.....that's not possible with anyone 100% of the time. Everybody likes to have a treat once in a while or eat pizza once in a while. You can't live your life in paranoia or fear and become obsessed about food. Saying all that to say....the dilemma IS.....why do certain foods break us out? Answer THAT, and you have the answer as to how you can cure your acne.

Exactly. I'm eat healthy about 80% of the time is all - I'm so glad I don't have to eat healthy 100% of the time! I think your approach to all this is very wise.

Without trying to sound like a stinker, the good Dr. is simply wrong in probably 85% of people with acne. I did all kinds of things to clear my acne for many years; I'm 42 years old and started breaking out at age 11. Nothing allopathic medicine did helped me....matter of fact, I got worse and worse and worse. I got the revelation about candida, detoxing, eating clean, etc....back in 89-90. I still wasn't clear for years but didn't want to go on Accutane, so I just struggled, and spent mega $$$ trying to clear myself, but nothing worked, even though I juiced everyday (I still do most days), ate very clean, etc.......

I had a lot of health problems besides acne; matter of fact, my body was completely breaking down when I started liverflushing. I couldn't digest red meat well at all, and now I can eat red meat with no problems (though I rarely do). Practically everything I ate broke me out.....it was a living nightmare. I had severe chemical sensitivies and would almost pass out when I pumped gas or walk into the craft store past the plastic flower section....I'm not exaggerating. It was horrific. My blood sugar was crazy....my menses was crazy.....I had various health problems over the years....I had weird heart palipitations at one time that had no cause......my joints were totally locked up in my right hand so bad I couldn't open a door (thanks to antibiotics abuse)....I had a very, very, very, severe case of irisitis that could have caused me to go blind. So yes, I had a lot of health problems and currently I have NONE.

To me, liverflushing works well when you combine it with a total detox plan (including bowel cleansing).

Bless you for your response Im planning a flush in the next week or so and am scared to death of causing a breakout and getting more scars. I have hypoglycemia, insomnia and bad food sentivities too. I tried doing the green smoothies and my skin went parched cracking dry, lips bled, plus gave me insomnia!

How much bowel cleansing are you recommending (besides getting colonics after a flush). Do you mean like buying one of those herbal colon cleanses? I did a few colonics and the colon therapist said that I was very clean, meaning she didnt seem to think I had any built up obstructions based on her experience. Shes been doing colonics and teaching it for over 20 years so I believed her, (because she could have had me for as many colonics as she recommended I was wanting to purchase a whole series). Im sure I have something to clean out though. I have b.movements three times or more a day.

Sorry for the details just want to know which bowel cleanse you reccomend.

Did you breakout during the flushes and get any extra scars?